SOO, Jake, DCE, general discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
I love Jake and what he brings to our team, but I get why he's been left out (although Fittler hasn't really addressed how or if Jake was informed - all the attention has been on JAC). There's just no way you'd pick Jake over Yeoh, who has taken the ball-playing middle forward role that Jake first brought to the NSW team to a completely new level. He's bigger, faster and, at least for now, undeniably better. He's basically Jake 2.0.

But Angus Chrichton missing out baffles me. He's always been strong for NSW and there's no way Tariq Sims or the second Saifiti will be better in that role.

manly al

First Grader
I love Jake and what he brings to our team, but I get why he's been left out (although Fittler hasn't really addressed how or if Jake was informed - all the attention has been on JAC). There's just no way you'd pick Jake over Yeoh, who has taken the ball-playing middle forward role that Jake first brought to the NSW team to a completely new level. He's bigger, faster and, at least for now, undeniably better. He's basically Jake 2.0.

But Angus Chrichton missing out baffles me. He's always been strong for NSW and there's no way Tariq Sims or the second Saifiti will be better in that role.
Certainly a prototype and obvious example of a very effective modern day 13 but would Yeoh be actually bigger then Jake . Yeoh has probably made one of the best transitions in recent times however considering he is a converted outside back . Jake , Crichton and definitely J A C would have to be considered unlucky , haven "t seen any explanation from Freddy on the decision or selection criteria but not too sure that it could be that convincing .

KNUCKLES

Bencher
The article you quoted has him rated in the top 3 locks and that is not a controversial assessment, even though he's just been omitted from the Blues. The same article says the average salary for top 5 locks is $841,000. So yes, well within range.
Bear in mind they are guessing about details of contracts, Jake is reputed to be on 900 but who knows maybe it is 850 with some loyalty allowance or whatever.
By the way you say he misses a fair few tackles - that's news to me. Also the penalties and 6 agains are very frustrating but that is probably his assigned role on the team, years ago we had Buhrer being that guy.
I'm sorry to say Jake isn't a top lock anymore. Hasn't been for a minimum of 2 years. Probably a good person to have in the squad, personality and effort wise. But at what cost? His non selection is warranted. I don't really see what the debate is about. It's black and white for me. I honestly think a winger in JAC being dropped is more of a controversial Non selection

Rocky

Bencher
I'm sorry to say Jake isn't a top lock anymore. Hasn't been for a minimum of 2 years. Probably a good person to have in the squad, personality and effort wise. But at what cost? His non selection is warranted. I don't really see what the debate is about. It's black and white for me. I honestly think a winger in JAC being dropped is more of a controversial Non sele

I think the "debate" re Jake revolves on who was picked over him. Sims, Frizell ,Saifiti and Matterson etc....

We all know Jake has regressed, but notwithstanding that, are the guys mentioned above better than him?

Son of Manly Beach

Reserve Grader
I think the "debate" re Jake revolves on who was picked over him. Sims, Frizell ,Saifiti and Matterson etc....

We all know Jake has regressed, but notwithstanding that, are the guys mentioned above better than him?
no they are not - don't understand their selections either
Not sure Jake really deserves to be there on form but if those mediocre guys are there, then Jake shouldve been included. Leave out Saifiti at least...his bro was cut, why bring him in? ridiculous

MW66

Reserve Grader
I genuinely feel sorry for Jake (and Addo Carr). Did he receive a call from Fittler? Don't know but it would be the least he deserved. Part of feeling sorry for Jake is the fact that the likes of Sims/RCG/Frizell got picked in the squad ahead of him. None in better form and yet NSW "pick & stick" with regards to these players.

The 2nd part I don't understand is why a number of posters are questioning his $ value to Manly. You would not find a guy who bleeds more for Manly in the current team. Yes he is playing slow with ball in hand but it is also part of the team tactics for him to play as a link. Have you been watching his defence lately - still hits hard and we would be leaking even more if it wasn't for him and Croker.

Lastly his wage isn't really up for debate as we don't know exactly what it is. However when he and Tom were negotiating their current deals, how many posters on here would have been happy if we offered him $500k a season and lost him. Jake is Manly. He is the least of our issues.

Rafferty

Mug punter
Another weird selection issue I just read about, Staggs and Tupou may miss origin 3 if they choose to play for Tonga in the upcoming test, (pretty sure they’ll be selected) geez that will be interesting if the series goes to Perth for a decider and those pair, sorry Fred we’re not coming over to Perth, we’ve got a test match to play. Fred picked them knowing it as well.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
So jake and the foxx got dropped,
then all the news 'inches' were about poor ole jac,
then freddy says I dunno why people are surprised jac got dropped
then more media and people complaining about ...jac (not Jake)

so now freddy has to quickly release a statement saying how tough it was to call the foxx and tell him (nothing if it was tough re jake).

but he said this regarding Jake:

“Well, Isaah Yeo plays a similar role and he’s probably gone to another level in club form, and we’ve also got other players who can also play that role,” Fittler said.

And also the fact Jake is playing for Manly this weekend. He would have been back playing for Manly if he wasn’t in the 17, so that was the decision.”

What's this mean?
I guessing he was saying that jake was only to be in the squad, therefore he'd return to play for Manly, so he didn't want to risk an injury or Jake being tired? - I'm actually not sure. I'm guessing here. I thought if you were in the soo squad you're not playing this w/e?

because nek minnit.....

Roosters winger Joseph Suaalii was named in Fittler’s 22-man squad but will also be returning to club football in Round 13.

Maybe uncle nick demanded selection to get some extra $$$ for Suaalii?

Rocky

Bencher
I genuinely feel sorry for Jake (and Addo Carr). Did he receive a call from Fittler? Don't know but it would be the least he deserved. Part of feeling sorry for Jake is the fact that the likes of Sims/RCG/Frizell got picked in the squad ahead of him. None in better form and yet NSW "pick & stick" with regards to these players.

The 2nd part I don't understand is why a number of posters are questioning his $ value to Manly. You would not find a guy who bleeds more for Manly in the current team. Yes he is playing slow with ball in hand but it is also part of the team tactics for him to play as a link. Have you been watching his defence lately - still hits hard and we would be leaking even more if it wasn't for him and Croker.

Lastly his wage isn't really up for debate as we don't know exactly what it is. However when he and Tom were negotiating their current deals, how many posters on here would have been happy if we offered him $500k a season and lost him. Jake is Manly. He is the least of our issues.
Jake and Tom were a package deal, and the Bulldogs offered/were prepared to offer more to sign both of them. $2.1m for both of them last year looked a bargain. This year it doesn't look good. Next year who knows?

I'm still wondering what those complaining about their contracts wanted the club to do at the time of the signings? Lowball them and see them go?

I get the current negative sentiment, given Jake and Tom aren't producing this year (and possibly going forward) on what they are getting paid.

But that's life, that's footy. To be honest I cant fault the club and the contracts they put forward to them at the time.

DCE is another story and i can fault the club.

KNUCKLES

Bencher
O

Other than saifiti, the rest named above are backrowers. Jake is not. Saifiti is an actual prop. Jake is not

ALinda

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
So jake and the foxx got dropped,
then all the news 'inches' were about poor ole jac,
then freddy says I dunno why people are surprised jac got dropped
then more media and people complaining about ...jac (not Jake)

so now freddy has to quickly release a statement saying how tough it was to call the foxx and tell him (nothing if it was tough re jake).

but he said this regarding Jake:

“Well, Isaah Yeo plays a similar role and he’s probably gone to another level in club form, and we’ve also got other players who can also play that role,” Fittler said.

And also the fact Jake is playing for Manly this weekend. He would have been back playing for Manly if he wasn’t in the 17, so that was the decision.”

What's this mean?
I guessing he was saying that jake was only to be in the squad, therefore he'd return to play for Manly, so he didn't want to risk an injury or Jake being tired? - I'm actually not sure. I'm guessing here. I thought if you were in the soo squad you're not playing this w/e?

because nek minnit.....

Roosters winger Joseph Suaalii was named in Fittler’s 22-man squad but will also be returning to club football in Round 13.

Maybe uncle nick demanded selection to get some extra $$$ for Suaalii?
I agree GE, it's puzzling and Freddy isn't answering the question. Just to back-up your post, on 100% Footy last night Freddy was similarly asked by Michael Chammas SMH about how Jake and JAC took the news of their omission. Here's a rough transcription I've done of Freddy's response:

"It's the hardest part of being a coach. You have to make the tough decisions and pick the best team that's going to win. It wasn't so much about Josh (JAC), it was more about Daniel Tupou and what I think he can bring to the team, and what Ryan Matterson's doing at the moment and RCG. So it's disappointing but if you have a look at the team and apart from Canberra with Wighton, everyone else is pretty much in the 8...there's a lot of players from Parra, Roosters, Penrith and all these players are playing in winning footy teams and at the end of the day that's probably the most important thing."

So once again, Freddy didn't answer the question at all. He also contradicted himself by saying they're from winning teams in the 8, which doesn't explain the inclusion of Saifiti and Sims. Was Freddy a politician in a previous life? lol

joeboy

Bencher
Sometimes you have to look at a player not on his stats but what he provides the team.

People sometimes want to downplay our guys cause they don’t meet certain metrics

A club and culture is built on spirit and what makes Manly “Manly”.

Jake is everything I want out of Manly.

A ‘Never say die’ attitude, a spirit that bleeds Maroon, a good human begin, a club man, a passionate player.

We are lucky to have Jake.

This is a good post.

We were just a little bit luckier to have him when he was throwing his great selective offloads, making 130 metres a game and ball playing a lot more seamlessly and effectively. He also shook the ball lose at least once a game from his defense and didn’t have a target in his back from all referees. Barrett couldn’t really coach, but Jake excelled under his attacking structures. Remember those glorious ruck plays Jake used to orchestrate

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
This is what I mean - the contract is holding the club back.
We should be able to expect a bit more out of someone getting that kind of money
Don't get me wrong, he gives his all...but maybe it's just not good enough now for someone on that salary. Who knows, maybe he'll fire up after missing out on SOO selection.
Is it Jake's fault the way he's playing or is he playing to the coach's instructions. I think Jake is more than capable of being that $900K worthy player but because of the coach's preference for his forwards to be slow plodders built for the 2000-2015 era we can now see the results.

Son of Manly Beach

Reserve Grader
Is it Jake's fault the way he's playing or is he playing to the coach's instructions. I think Jake is more than capable of being that $900K worthy player but because of the coach's preference for his forwards to be slow plodders built for the 2000-2015 era we can now see the results.
yeah look you're probably right. He's lost it since Des took over

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18