Salary Cap Witch Hunt. **Appeal unsuccessful**

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I suspect the reason there has been no detail released is because it may be relying on the testimony of former disgruntled players. Remember this all started from an investigation into match fixing of a certain colourful gambling identity associated with at least one former Manly player. I for one hope this finishes in court where those testimonies will be aired in court and we'll all know where this came from.

I suspect the reason there has been no detail released is because it may be relying on the testimony of former disgruntled players. Remember this all started from an investigation into match fixing of a certain colourful gambling identity associated with at least one former Manly player. I for one hope this finishes in court where those testimonies will be aired in court and we'll all know where this came from.

Agree, as a member I deserve to know, if Penn is a low life cheater it’ll affect my decision to continue as a member , if he’s correct and Greenslimes the low life then everyone needs to know!

it is strange. For the storm, parra and Canterbury I remember reading about actual examples of rorting, including player names, amounts, the mode of deception, shelf company names that channeled the money etc.

So far there has been none of this detail with the manly situation. So I kinda smell a rat.

Last edited:
Agree, as a member I deserve to know, if Penn is a low life cheater it’ll affect my decision to continue as a member , if he’s correct and Greenslimes the low life then everyone needs to know!

And that is the crux of the issue.
Give us some clarity of exactly who did what, and when.

If Penn simply ends up appealing only the severity of the penalty, it will say a lot.

Greenflog said the reason in the press conference. Said he couldn't give all the detail and he had to be careful what he said because there is an appeals process to potentially play out...
So he leaks some info on the mean time to get brainless journos onside like Hooper...
Senator joe McCarthy with his briefcase full of communist names. I can’t show the names but believe me they are in this briefcase that I am holding up for the cameras.

Now everyone in cricket & the media are worried about the mental health of smith, Warner & Bancroft. nrl, just throw our club, owners, immortal, a couple of players etc under a bus - thanks for nothing nrl

And that is the crux of the issue.
Give us some clarity of exactly who did what, and when.

If Penn simply ends up appealing only the severity of the penalty, it will say a lot.

It could just be a masterstroke....

How’s this for a strategy: Accept the NRL’s interpretation, but say it has not been applied fairly across all teams. If we misinterpreted the rules then so did Penrith with Moloney, and (possibly) so did Greenberg with Foran + how many other emails would we have from player managers detailing offers from other clubs. It could be enough to blow the whole thing wide open.

Why doesn’t the NRL just fine all clubs the same amount, if they have all been doing the same thing? Or, even better, make the fine proportionate to the amount of the ”breach” - I suspect we would be at the lower end of the scale and the NRL favourites (Broncos, Roosters, Parra) would be near the top. We could end up with a salary cap advantage over all other clubs!

[Please keep in mind this post is made on a Friday night and I have been enjoying a few beverages. I reserve the right to withdraw it in the morning if it turns out in the cold light of day that my brain went off on a bit of an illogical tangent....]

[EDIT: Before anyone says anything I know it’s a Thursday but it feels like a Friday...]

It could just be a masterstroke....

How’s this for a strategy: Accept the NRL’s interpretation, but say it has not been applied fairly across all teams. If we misinterpreted the rules then so did Penrith with Moloney, and (possibly) so did Greenberg with Foran + how many other emails would we have from player managers detailing offers from other clubs. It could be enough to blow the whole thing wide open.

Why doesn’t the NRL just fine all clubs the same amount, if they have all been doing the same thing? Or, even better, make the fine proportionate to the amount of the ”breach” - I suspect we would be at the lower end of the scale and the NRL favourites (Broncos, Roosters, Parra) would be near the top. We could end up with a salary cap advantage over all other clubs!

[Please keep in mind this post is made on a Friday night and I have been enjoying a few beverages. I reserve the right to withdraw it in the morning if it turns out in the cold light of day that my brain went off on a bit of an illogical tangent....]

[EDIT: Before anyone says anything I know it’s a Thursday but it feels like a Friday...]

It’s only Thursday but would feel like Friday to you still working.

Meanwhile I have 6 Saturday’s and one Sunday.

Gotta have Sunday as that’s Bacon & Eggs day, love my B & E but weetbix is obviously better for you, so it’s 6 days of weetbix and then “ hello B & E”.

No surprises here; the main culprit is the dog Foran.

I have absolutely no knowledge regarding what is happening behind the scenes. But having been involved in legal matters most of my career, I know only a fool would appeal unless they have something substantive that proves to be contrary to the decision against them or its severity, and the Penns do not look to me to be fools.

Therefore if they go ahead with the appeal and are prepared to spend more of their money pursuing a cause they feel justified, they MUST have enough to know they have a better than even chance of winning (unless of course this is all to wedge open and expose the inequity and inability to effectively police the TPA structure, but I wonder if the Penns are that interested in just making a point). Otherwise they would just cut their losses and move on.

It seems, if they proceed, that something substantive is in the Penn's corner. We just dont know what it is. But I would suspect the NRL are getting quite anxious now about the outcome. They seem to just want Manly to crawl back and take their medicine. The fact that they dont seem to be doing that, implies it is approaching dangerously close to a major confrontation within the structure of the game, that could result in serious spilt blood. This could be game changing. Just hope Manly isnt a casualty

Hey, you don’t think it could have come from a disgruntled Kristie Fulton!

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/29...ge-appeal-with-nrl-over-salary-cap-sanctions/

Manly lodge appeal with NRL over salary cap sanctions
Author
Margie McDonaldSenior Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 29 Mar 2018, 04:07 PM

Manly Sea Eagles have told the NRL they will lodge an appeal over the salary cap sanctions handed down to the club on Monday.

Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn confirmed to NRL.com the club had alerted the NRL Appeals Committee of its intention to protest the $750,000 fine and the $660,000 in salary cap restrictions.

"We've sent them our intention to appeal," Penn said. "It's early days yet until we hear what the process of appeal will be.

"But we've put in our application to seek leave of appeal. Then next week we will put in more formal documentation, and more detailed in nature, of our position."

On Monday NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg and chief operating officer Nick Weeks announced that up to 15 former Sea Eagles players were paid $1.5 million above the salary cap over five years.

Not only will $330,000 be taken off Manly's salary cap in both 2018 and 2019, the club has to pay a $750,000 fine, which will be reduced to $500,000 if the club agrees to undergo certain governance changes.

In addition two officials, Manly chief operating officer Neil Bare and former CEO Joe Kelly - who is now the boss at the Sydney Roosters - received 12-month bans.

Immortal and former Sea Eagles football director Bob Fulton, who left the club in October last year, will need NRL approval to take up any official role in the game again.

The allegations uncovered by the NRL's Integrity Unit was that a series of third-party agreements (TPA) organised by the club and offered to players during contract negotiations were not declared to the NRL salary cap auditor.

On Thursday, Penn declined to specify the areas around which Manly would base its appeal.

"We'd prefer to wait until next week before we say what the grounds are," he said.

"But it's around the technicalities around the contract process as it relates to the salary cap and third party agreements (TPA).

"We think the two are somewhat separate whereas the NRL, in their whole examination, have combined the two.

"Traditionally we believe they have been separate issues."

If leave to appeal is granted :wondering:, the matter will eventually be heard by the three-person NRL Appeals Committee headed by Ian Callinan, QC.

Meanwhile, the Manly Sea Eagles will play their round four match against the Canberra Raiders at Lottoland on Saturday.

That’s pretty much a dupe of my post above.

Throughout this inquisition I’ve had a few conversations with a very high ranking club official and another administrator. Neither aligned with the Mighty Sea Eagles. The consensus is that Manly are guilty of no more nor less than any other club. That’s what is so hard to take and it really does seem that Todd Greenberg has some agenda against the club.
I don’t wish ill upon people in general but there will be no regrets on my part if he should find his position as CEO untenable.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8