Salary Cap Witch Hunt. **Appeal unsuccessful**

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
So hinting at TPA’s is not allowed?? Ok then, sure thing, yep not a single club does this at all.......not one.....!! No officer really, no club does this, so move on, nothing to see here........!! Pleeeaasseee.......What utter BS....!

I am sick of the vitriol and rubbish being thrown at us from the NRL, over and over again. Enough already, the game is stuffed, we know that. It is not a fair competition.......it is rigged in so many ways it is not funny. There are clubs that are clearly favoured and we are definitely not one of them.

So if anyone thinks we are not being targeted......think again. Certain parties in the NRL (and some other personalities outside the NRL) are trying to save face and are incredibly ego driven. And will do whatever it takes to show they are the one(s) with the power. It has gone beyond TPA rules, (that are clearly only used when it suits them anyway) to being a full blown power play.....!

The NRL headquarters and how it is run is completely ludicrous and needs to be investigated, but it wont, not yet anyway. Too many hands in the pie, again, from people inside the NRL and from people outside of the NRL.........they are all protecting each other. It is the haves vs the have nots.....and the ego vs the other ego.

The rules and how they are managed in relation to TPA’s are also completely ludicrous. And while I have no problem with a player wanting to get as much money as they possibly can.....! Clearly some clubs have bigger brown paper bags than others and yet are not in the firing line......ever. Rules for some, no rules for others.....It is that simple.....!

And please can anyone with a straight face tell me that certain players are not lured to clubs with the ole TPA. (And if it is ‘written’ in board minutes then that is just stupidity i.e. worms.......! So really not much can be refuted if paper evidence is released.)

It is also a noted fact that in 2016 the team with the most number of registered sponsorships was somewhere north of $1.3million, (just how far north is anyone's guess), and the team with the least number of registered player sponsorships was less than $200,000.............So who has a competitive advantage........hmm gee let me see ....the one with more sponsorship money.....And if I was a skilled player getting ready to get my last deal of a lifetime would I not ask my agent to seek the clubs with the deepest pockets???

There are so many holes in the area of TPA ‘s that nothing is fair or right about them anyway.

And dont get me started on the NRL board member who used his own company to do club audits..........oh dear, just absolutely unbelievable....it is enough to send me into a melt down..........!!

Not sure if anyone will read till the end but my rant is over.......for now at least. :mad:

And finally.......Happy New Year, fellow Silvertails and go the Mighty Manly Sea Eagles in 2018 despite the odds. :)

Good summation right there!!

HappilyManly

Journey Man
campaigns.json

Manly adamant club never set out to intentionally cheat as Scott Penn hands over salary cap report
Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
13 minutes ago

MANLY Sea Eaglesowner Scott Penn is hoping two years of turmoil can be finally put to bed this week when the club hands over its response to the NRL’s salary cap investigation.

Penn will return from the United States on Monday to go over the final details of the club’s report before it is delivered to the NRL in the coming days.

The verdict has the potential to cost the club a significant fine and all hope of signing Newcastle’s Trent Hodkinson before the start of the season.

But Penn told The Daily Telegraph from Los Angeles that he was adamant the club never set out to intentionally cheat.

08e97654e68342780a2db4bada7e6ef5

Manly will submit their findings this week.
“The NRL has a list of areas they have looked at,” Penn said.

“We have always fully complied.

“There are some areas we need to defend but it is really technicality issues.

“There is no wholesale rorting or anything like that.

“We don’t feel like we have done anything outside the rules but some of it is down to interpretation.

ROTHFIELD: Best and worst clubs in the NRL

CRUSADE: Copeland’s SuperCoach NRL team

“No one has been paid anything more than is in their contract or that other third party people have paid them directly.

“The allegations are technical issues that perhaps weren’t done appropriately.

“But it has never been anything more than that.

“We have to defend ourselves so this week we will finalise that and put our case forward.”

Whatever the outcome, Penn said he just wants it over with so Trent Barrett and the players can concentrate on the 2018 NRL season.

83bbc07395c742557f4854ac4bb0135b

Sea Eagles coach Trent Barrett, Chairman Scott Penn and new CEO Lyall Gorman. Picture: Adam Yip
Manly’s dramas started way back in 2016 when allegations first emerged police were investigating claims of a betting scandal involving some players.

While no charges were ever laid, the mud has certainly stained the Sea Eagles’ reputation.

“Look, it has been frustrating and disappointing,” Penn said.

“The last 18 to 24 months have been unnecessarily distracting.

“But you know what, that is the environment we live in and we just have to get on with it.

“I am certainly optimistic about the future and that is what I want to focus on.

“Certainly the whole match-fixing claims came out of left field, and were totally unfounded.

“That was really disappointing.

“With the salary cap (investigation), we just want to settle the matter to be honest.

“We just want to get it over with so we can all move forward.

“The outcome will be the outcome but we are confident that we certainly haven’t done anything purposely wrong.

“If there are areas that we have a difference of opinion on we will have to work it through.”

Depending on what verdict the NRL delivers, the salary cap penalty could potentially cost Manly any chance of signing more players.

It is understood Manly have about $600,000 of salary cap space and Barrett is still hoping to sign Hodkinson.

While it is not expected Manly will start the season on negative competition points, they are losing hope that a deal can be done with Hodkinson with Cronulla also chasing the former NSW No 7.

“We actually are in a really good place,” Penn said.

“We want to get it wrapped up as quickly as we can so we can all move forward into the new season.”

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams
template
0b21c5be53356aa2f15e49f9d8ce3032
0b21c5be53356aa2f15e49f9d8ce3032

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I am impressed with Scott Penn's measured response to the salary cap saga. I have previously on this forum criticised him in respect of rapid responses that he has made to the press in the past. This time he has done a good job. Ill be glad when this over. The trouble is that many will want to save face in light of headlines asserting we systematically cheated the cap over a few years. Very serious allegations to make

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Once all is clear - put the $600,000 towards a Marquee signing for 2019 and beyond, the whole issue already cost Pearce who would have been a quality addition, but Hodgkinson....prefer to trust who we got already.

nightster

The older I get the better I was
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I am impressed with Scott Penn's measured response to the salary cap saga. I have previously on this forum criticised him in respect of rapid responses that he has made to the press in the past. This time he has done a good job. Ill be glad when this over. The trouble is that many will want to save face in light of headlines asserting we systematically cheated the cap over a few years. Very serious allegations to make

Manly has a capital M ... @:rolleyes:

tookey

First Grader
What's the bet the NRL takes 8 months to finalise a reply to our response

Season over and we will then be found not guilty

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Once all is clear - put the $600,000 towards a Marquee signing for 2019 and beyond, the whole issue already cost Pearce who would have been a quality addition, but Hodgkinson....prefer to trust who we got already.

If we don't spend it we lose it ..... but agree, wait til we see who becomes available at the June 30th transfer circus ... also then any signing would be for half a year so $600k would get you a $1.2 mil player for the rest of '18.

Of course you would have to do some rearranging in '19.

Supreme Leader

Uber L77T playa
just offer the $600k as a performance bonus to the existing player group for winning the comp.

That would work out at $17,142 (less tax) per player for the first 35 players. That wouldn't entice any NRL player to do better, wouldn't even cover their fines from the NRL over a season, or their drinks bill at the Collaroy Hotel for after training. :rolleyes:

Whilst Penn's response is very measured, I'm not very confident when he states "we certainly haven’t done anything purposely wrong."

So by his own admission he's admitting to guilt without intent. So basically saying there has been a breach of salary cap but we didn't mean to. Well I know for a lot of laws out there such as speeding, drink driving etc intent is not considered as a factor in determining guilt. Just the fact that you breached the law.

It's not like other serious matters where there are mitigating factors to reduce the sentence.

Not sure where this sits with cap breaches.. Ie whether they accept mitigating factors.

Time will tell.

Last edited:

Jatz Crackers

First Grader
Whilst Penn's response is very measured, I'm not very confident when he states "we certainly haven’t done anything purposely wrong."

So by his own admission he's admitting to guilt without intent. So basically saying there has been a breach of salary cap but we didn't mean to.

Penn did not admit guilt. That is your interpretation. Here is what Penn also went on to say:

“We have always fully complied"

“No one has been paid anything more than is in their contract or that other third party people have paid them directly"

“We don’t feel like we have done anything outside the rules but some of it is down to interpretation"

Its a storm (hehehe) in a teacup that has been professionally blown out of proportion by an unprofessional NRL CEO, who shouldn't even be in that chair.

HappilyManly

Journey Man

So by his own admission he's admitting to guilt without intent. So basically saying there has been a breach of salary cap but we didn't mean to. Well I know for a lot of laws out there such as speeding, drink driving etc intent is not considered as a factor in determining guilt. Just the fact that you breached the law.

It's not like other serious matters where there are mitigating factors to reduce the sentence.

Not sure where this sits with cap breaches.. Ie whether they accept mitigating factors.

Time will tell.
I read it more like 'NRL TPA Policy is open to interpretation', hence the difference in between the two sides.

The end result was TPA being received by the player and noted to the NRL at the time.

#MovingOn

Penn did not admit guilt. That is your interpretation. Here is what Penn also went on to say:

“No one has been paid anything more than is in their contract or that other third party people have paid them directly"

“We don’t feel like we have done anything outside the rules but some of it is down to interpretation"

Its a storm (hehehe) in a teacup that has been professionally blown out of proportion by an unprofessional NRL CEO, who shouldn't even be in that chair.
I'm not discounting his further comments. Just the specific one I was referring to which alludes to wrong doing albeit not purposely. Yes it's just my interpretation of that comment.

Highflier

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member

Again what a joke that we are being held under the microscope for our in comparison to the Rorters ,Bronco s Dogs etc , microscopic amount of TPA's, yet there is no investigation or any interest it appears in discovering the secret to the magic pudding of TPA/CAP rorting that the Roosters serially engage in.I can see where Penn is coming from but to me it comes over a little weak,I would think that if we have nothing to hide and have thoroughly researched our case that we would be trying to take the high road on our practices ,policies and case while not quite erring on the side of rubbing the NRLs or Greenburgs nose in it .I maybe wrong with that interpretation ,but just my opinion.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
the nrl as a governing body would surely have regulations to abide by. what type of entity is that joke anyway. im sure if we looked into whats its legal requirements are they would have overstepped them. as fans that are members of clubs that need to be audited etc we may have a leg to start a ball rolling anyway as the governing body may stop our club from fulfiling there obligations to its members. i know the clubs have to sign letters stopping action but as fans we have no such restriction.

we enter into memberships in good faith that we have an even chance but the playing field is clearly not. while clubs have the best of intentions the governing body makes those intentions misleading at best due to inconsistent rulings. the obvious leg ups for teams like the broncs and parra in some ways represent game fixing in itself. its obvious the nrls strategy to strengthen the west is admirable , it discriminates against other clubs which we pay to promote and cheer for.

failing not to investigate the broncos a number of times, having fox audit melbourne and as above when a nrl board member used his own company to audit reeks of incopetence at the very least

look i dont know, its a wild stab but a stab id be prepared to ivest some time researching. anyone got any ideas or where to start.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
the nrl as a governing body would surely have regulations to abide by. what type of entity is that joke anyway. im sure if we looked into whats its legal requirements are they would have overstepped them. as fans that are members of clubs that need to be audited etc we may have a leg to start a ball rolling anyway as the governing body may stop our club from fulfiling there obligations to its members. i know the clubs have to sign letters stopping action but as fans we have no such restriction.

we enter into memberships in good faith that we have an even chance but the playing field is clearly not. while clubs have the best of intentions the governing body makes those intentions misleading at best due to inconsistent rulings. the obvious leg ups for teams like the broncs and parra in some ways represent game fixing in itself. its obvious the nrls strategy to strengthen the west is admirable , it discriminates against other clubs which we pay to promote and cheer for.

failing not to investigate the broncos a number of times, having fox audit melbourne and as above when a nrl board member used his own company to audit reeks of incopetence at the very least

look i dont know, its a wild stab but a stab id be prepared to ivest some time researching. anyone got any ideas or where to start.
Is there an Australian court of arbitration for sport?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18