Reuben Garrick

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Mate, you have confused me ... all I know is I used to say g'day to Rueb Hudson at least 3 times a week at brookie and in about 1973 they named the oval at Curlie the Rueb Hudson Oval .... the bloke who died a few years back was the right age to have played in the 50.s ..... are you saying the Oval was named aftr his father ?
Yes. He was Reuben - hence Reub Hudson Oval. He was involved with the outfit for decades, including being the guard on the Manly dressing room door, well into his old age.

The son was Rupert (Rupe). He was FC president around the time of the SL War. He also served on the LC board etc. I believe he was a chemical engineer, so he was no dummy.

Yes. He was Reuben - hence Reub Hudson Oval. He was involved with the outfit for decades, including being the guard on the Manly dressing room door, well into his old age.

The son was Rupert (Rupe). He was FC president around the time of the SL War. He also served on the LC board etc. I believe he was a chemical engineer, so he was no dummy.
Who was Beverly Job then?

Mate, you have confused me ... all I know is I used to say g'day to Rueb Hudson at least 3 times a week at brookie and in about 1973 they named the oval at Curlie the Rueb Hudson Oval .... the bloke who died a few years back was the right age to have played in the 50.s ..... are you saying the Oval was named aftr his father ?
Wow.. played my first footy there: “M” grade for Nth Curl Curl back in 1979!

His uncle and grandfather were sitting on either side of my son and I on Saturday, had a good chat with his uncle at half time.

His uncle said he's loving his time at Manly and working hard on all aspects of his game now he has a real start in the NRL.

Reuben has some serious foot speed, he covered a lot of territory when the Bunnies made that break in the first half to slow down the Bunnies player inside our 10.

If he gets a clean break it's shut the door time.

transition him into centres so next years centre pairing can be him and suli. taufua on the wing potentially, to make way for hoppa when ready, and buy gela-mosby for the other wing, who isnt getting much game time at the cows. we have enough depth in those positions if we have the likes of elliot, anderson and co sitting in the reserves competing for injury spots.
If we have cap money from walkers departure, id look at a five eighth as priority if elgey doesnt come good. if one of our reserves steps up at 6 then aitken or hoppa could be looked at, but i like garrick at centre i think defensively he would be sound and definitely is not lazy in defence like some others e.g. taufua, suli etc.

transition him into centres so next years centre pairing can be him and suli. taufua on the wing potentially, to make way for hoppa when ready, and buy gela-mosby for the other wing, who isnt getting much game time at the cows. we have enough depth in those positions if we have the likes of elliot, anderson and co sitting in the reserves competing for injury spots.
If we have cap money from walkers departure, id look at a five eighth as priority if elgey doesnt come good. if one of our reserves steps up at 6 then aitken or hoppa could be looked at, but i like garrick at centre i think defensively he would be sound and definitely is not lazy in defence like some others e.g. taufua, suli etc.

Pass on the retention of either Suli (who some are suggesting may be gone), and Taufua, who is now too slow.

My hopes for next season:

Tom Trbojevic, Reuben Garrick, Dylan Walker, Albert Hopoate & a new acquisition. One of:

Will Hopoate
Euan Aitken
Clinton Gutherson

In that order. My ideal team would be:

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Albert Hopoate
03. Will Hopoate
04. Dylan Walker
05. Reuben Garrick
06. ?
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Anderson or Miski
3. Garrick
4. Suli
5. Albert Hoppa
6. Schuster
7. DCE

I still have an idea that Suli will come good. He's still a kid and just needs some growing up, physically and in attitude, but he's got the goods. Miski is not in Manly's 30 but with his performances in the lower grade he could end up with a contract for 2020. Garrick could be our answer to the loss of Walker. Certainly Will Hoppa back at centre could be an option. I doubt Gutho will return to Manly. Parra will offer a huge TPA. Schuster has the makings of a champion 5/8. Anderson has the talent, just needs to up his participation. Albert Hoppa...well say no more. He and Schuster will be the next big things at Manly if they can be retained.

I wish Suli wasn't always in everyone's projected future line-up. We need cultures and attitudes like Garrick, Kite, Kennedy, Galuvao, Menzies , Stewart here.

Not Suli.

Yeah they both strike me as a player thats going to **** up sooner or later. May as well just cut them loose and save the trouble.

Pass on the retention of either Suli (who some are suggesting may be gone), and Taufua, who is now too slow.

My hopes for next season:

Tom Trbojevic, Reuben Garrick, Dylan Walker, Albert Hopoate & a new acquisition. One of:

Will Hopoate
Euan Aitken
Clinton Gutherson

In that order. My ideal team would be:

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Albert Hopoate
03. Will Hopoate
04. Dylan Walker
05. Reuben Garrick
06. ?
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

I think suli should be kept over walker. Walker is on huge coin and has definitely delivered unders (quote shiekeagle). If we let suli go, we wont be able to sign a gun like hoppa or aitken whilst also retaining / upgrading some of our guns e.g. fainu, trbo x2, tanginoa etc... suli showed a huge improvement in the first 3 games, and looked slimmer and fitter despite being dropped last week. He obviously put on some kegs from round 1 but id persist with him as he is on less coin and obviously has quality. re jorge, i agree he is a bit past it but he delivers strong carries, and i would keep him around due to his huge loyalty to the club and competition it would bring. rather than giving albert or any others a complete open spot we should aim to have them compete with jorge and then take over, with garrick, suli and one of aitken / w hoppa if we have the coin, or worst case gela mosby who is a gun but not given many chances.

So Garrick got his shot at centre last night - I've been hearing how this is his preferred spot and he is a natural centre. What did everyone think of his audition ??

Wasn't the greatest game to showcase your wares - especially outside Elgey who was atrocious last night. But I didn't see anything that made me think WOW !! this guy looks good. For a guy who is quite tall and a reasonable size he gets dominated by the defence 9 times out of 10. Also his defence has been pretty ordinary this year - last night wasn't too bad - as he seems to drop off tackles regularly and has some bad one on one misses. According to the NRL stats his tackle efficiency is 53% - 49 tackles made and 23 missed before last night. That's not a good stat for a centre, arguably the most difficult spot to defend.

Maybe he'll get another shot - not sure how things are progressing with Suli's finger - but at this stage I'm thinking the rumours of Turbo playing centre when he comes back might have some merit. At this stage I'm happy for Garrick to play wing and work on his game - his goal kicking is a plus too.

Yep - didn't look like a natural centre IMO, despite it being his position of choice. Was standing flat, cut back on the inside a lot into traffic...though as C-andC said, delivery on the right side was poor in general. Not convinced, back on the wing for mine.

I see him as a long term, Robbo type player for us, solid and dependable out wide and will finish any decent opportunity he is given

Reading above comments I think based on what we have seen this season we would be crazy to let Suli go, his upside is obvious and he has a higher ceiling than Parker and Garrick in that position

Also saw a few lineups with Albert Hoppa in them, think we just need to worry about him getting some footy under his belt before he has a sniff of first grade, at least half a season playing against men rather than boys

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8