Recruitment, good , bad and downright ugly.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Glory days?
I was in my prime and the Manly side were a bunch of stars...
Toovs, Cliffy, Mick Oconnor, Marty Bella, Ian Roberts, Iro boys, Matty Ridge, Cunningham, Hancock... and the great Frankie Stokes... plus a bunch I have left out...
We may not have won premierships those years but we were always competitive and those years are some of my best Manly memories...

Edit - Jesus, I left Des out... woops...

Are we really linked to Ben Condon ?

We've already acquired a plod who's career average is 60 metres odd per game on average and a win% of 19%.

We've trumped that with a bloke who's career average is around 40 metres a game (I just watched some of his games), and I'm not surprised he was selected twice this year and his coach didn't even let him take the field. He misses 3 tackles a game on average, too.

Why are we seeking plods? Scott, Des, Noel and Tony, we need explosive, mobile and fast forwards. We need to change our recruitment team.

We are ALREADY WAYYYYY too slow in and through our middles. This is why opposition teams focus on us there.

Imagine Jake, Condon, Tuilagi and others on the field at once. Slow as a bus.

Last edited:
Nathan Brown is 18th man for Parra. What the hell is up with that?.
He’s a wholehearted player and would be excellent off the bench for Manly. Can’t we sign him up?.

NYEagle
Spot on. A Parra supporting mate of mine said he spoke out about Arthur on something, and was sent packing ever since.

I'd have him here in a heartbeat. Particularly over Condon OR Tuilagi.

Would love his aggression and heart to rub off on some of our boys.

Nathan Brown is 18th man for Parra. What the hell is up with that?.
He’s a wholehearted player and would be excellent off the bench for Manly. Can’t we sign him up?.

NYEagle

Are we going to pay 550k? That is apparently how much he is on.

Not sure how much Parra will chip in, if any.

Read we were chasing a Cowboys forward and got my hopes up thinking it'd be the off-contract McLean, instead it's another second rower who only played for them last year when they came 2nd last and hasn't played a game this year now that they are a good side. Funny that, suppose it compliments also signing Tuilagi off the wooden spooners.

As mentioned above we really need to focus on strengthening our middle. Never been a huge fan of Brown but he'd be a good pick up. Klemmer, McLean or a couple of those Penrith reserves that played in the last round would do a job too. I think I'd rather stick Lawton in the 2nd row rather than Tuilagi or Condon anyway.

Are we really linked to Ben Condon ?

We've already acquired a plod who's career average is 60 metres odd per game on average and a win% of 19%.

We've trumped that with a bloke who's career average is around 40 metres a game (I just watched some of his games), and I'm not surprised he was selected twice this year and his coach didn't even let him take the field. He misses 3 tackles a game on average, too.

Why are we seeking plods? Scott, Des, Noel and Tony, we need explosive, mobile and fast forwards. We need to change our recruitment team.

We are ALREADY WAYYYYY too slow in and through our middles. This is why opposition teams focus on us there.

Imagine Jake, Condon, Tuilagi and others on the field at once. Slow as a bus.
I wouldnt include Jake in that list. More than makes up for average speed. However what I would question is why we let Davey go - got to have more upside from what I have seen

Recruitment is an interesting area that's for sure. We've got a team of recruiters who are paid and presumably doing ...something! And no doubt they all have multiple contacts, all over the league world. Plus we have a coach who in the past has proven he can identify areas that need strengthening.

But all negotiations necessarily have to be conducted covertly. Which leaves we fans wondering if we are getting anyone at all. Frustrating! Especially at times like this when the club's management has again exposed itself as chaotic/incompetent. Hardly instils confidence that any decent player would consider coming here.

The idea of a player draft then takes on great appeal from a fans point of view. A build up of excitement and curiosity, with an actual resolution. No idea how it could work in practice of course.

Meanwhile I console myself with the knowledge we've purchased quite astutely in the last 2-3 years. And that the very early decisions to not renew Taupau, Walker and Foran indicate a definite plan. At that Manly historically has a record of sourcing talent from far and wide, including interstate and overseas.

But who knows? Bugger all in the rumour dept. I'm really hoping and praying (well just hoping really) we have one or 2 announcements that can't be made until after the finals are done and dusted!!!

Season 1 Please GIF
Yes agree totally mate…..I find it difficult to comprehend that we’ve released players the calibre of Taupau, Walker, Davey, Boyle, KDL & possibly Parker plus a few others & have only signed Tuilagi from the Tigers! No matter the supposed salary cap situation, it’s ridiculous to think we’ve not signed anyone else or are not in the process of signing anyone. The salary cap increases to $10.1m in 2023 apparently….with the dollars saved by releasing / not resigning all of the above surely there will be announcements made of new player signings? I’d like to think that approaches have been made to Klemmer & Brown who I feel both have much more to give. Klemmer is 28, Brown is 29…..plus the report of nepotism at the Eels leads me to believe Brown is on the way out even tho he’s going great guns in reggies but can’t force his way into 1st grade. I feel that there will be an announcement after the finals are over. I’d love to see the following start in 2023: Klemmer, Aloiai, Olakau’atu, Brown, Jake….Res: Paseka, Tuilagi, Keppie/Sipley! That forward rotation would have to be one of the best, if not the best, next year!!!

2023 GainsKelma Tuilagi (Wests Tigers)
Contracted for 2023Josh Aloiai, Ethan Bullemor, Daly Cherry-Evans, Lachlan Croker, Viliame Fifita, Reuben Garrick, Morgan Harper, Sean Keppie, Tolutau Koula, Karl Lawton, Haumole Olakau'atu, Brad Parker, Taniela Paseka, Jason Saab, Josh Schuster, Toafofoa Sipley, Ben Trbojevic, Jake Trbojevic, Tom Trbojevic, Kelma Tuilagi, Christian Tuipulotu, Alec Tuitavake, Kaeo Weekes
Off contract after 2022Morgan Boyle, Andrew Davey, Kurt De Luis, Martin Taupau
2022 Mid-Season LossesJorge Taufua (Wakefield)
2023 LossesDylan Walker (Warriors)
Kieran Foran (Gold Coast)
Sione Fainu (Wests Tigers)
DevelopmentJamie Humphreys, Gordon Chan Kum Tong, Jacob Sykes (2022-23)

2023 GainsKelma Tuilagi (Wests Tigers)
Contracted for 2023Josh Aloiai, Ethan Bullemor, Daly Cherry-Evans, Lachlan Croker, Viliame Fifita, Reuben Garrick, Morgan Harper, Sean Keppie, Tolutau Koula, Karl Lawton, Haumole Olakau'atu, Brad Parker, Taniela Paseka, Jason Saab, Josh Schuster, Toafofoa Sipley, Ben Trbojevic, Jake Trbojevic, Tom Trbojevic, Kelma Tuilagi, Christian Tuipulotu, Alec Tuitavake, Kaeo Weekes
Off contract after 2022Morgan Boyle, Andrew Davey, Kurt De Luis, Martin Taupau
2022 Mid-Season LossesJorge Taufua (Wakefield)
2023 LossesDylan Walker (Warriors)
Kieran Foran (Gold Coast)
Sione Fainu (Wests Tigers)
DevelopmentJamie Humphreys, Gordon Chan Kum Tong, Jacob Sykes (2022-23)
We have 24 players listed with Vega, and our development players are signed for next year, Fulton not mentioned,so you would think we have 4 or 5 positions c

Yes agree totally mate…..I find it difficult to comprehend that we’ve released players the calibre of Taupau, Walker, Davey, Boyle, KDL & possibly Parker plus a few others & have only signed Tuilagi from the Tigers! No matter the supposed salary cap situation, it’s ridiculous to think we’ve not signed anyone else or are not in the process of signing anyone. The salary cap increases to $10.1m in 2023 apparently….with the dollars saved by releasing / not resigning all of the above surely there will be announcements made of new player signings? I’d like to think that approaches have been made to Klemmer & Brown who I feel both have much more to give. Klemmer is 28, Brown is 29…..plus the report of nepotism at the Eels leads me to believe Brown is on the way out even tho he’s going great guns in reggies but can’t force his way into 1st grade. I feel that there will be an announcement after the finals are over. I’d love to see the following start in 2023: Klemmer, Aloiai, Olakau’atu, Brown, Jake….Res: Paseka, Tuilagi, Keppie/Sipley! That forward rotation would have to be one of the best, if not the best, next year!!!
We're all hoping mate. Agree re Klemmar, and to a lesser extent, Brown. But I must disagree with your comment at the end about that proposed lineup being one of the best. The bench is extremely weak compared with the better teams, Brown is not ideally an edge forward, Jake at 13 is no longer advantageous, etc. If you have a good look at the rotations at say the Raiders, Sharks, Cowboys, etc (+ obviously Panthers, Storm, Roosters, etc), I think you have to be fair dinkum in admitting that ours pales in comparison-even with Klemmar and Brown.

Interested to read comments about more recruitments (hopefully) coming.

Coming when though? 2024 ?

Because as i see it there really aren't many quality guys off contract, ready for the 2023 season.

Or are we expecting guys to be released and/or break contract to play with us in 2023?

Interested to read comments about more recruitments (hopefully) coming.

Coming when though? 2024 ?

Because as i see it there really aren't many quality guys off contract, ready for the 2023 season.

Or are we expecting guys to be released and/or break contract to play with us in 2023?

a combination of all ... the managers and players will be dealing like Bagdad carpet salesmen in the background ..

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8