PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Cowboys [Round 14, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
There is a lot of doubt about the final composition of the team for Friday's game. It appears Des may be considering many factors, including availability of our Origin players, availability of Cowboys' Origin players and fitness of some players in the 21. We should be prepared for surprises (wanted or unwanted).
Yea it’s extremely unlikely we’ll run out 1-17!

It's been highlighted within the media over the past 24 hours how much all three of our origin players want to back up to take part in the match on Friday as a means of paying further respect to Bozo, so you'd imagine they'd be given every chance.

It's a long season though, so you'd also think there would need to be an element of caution, particularly with Tom.

I had no idea what team would be selected this week, but the one thing I was sure of was that none of our Origin players would back up. It seems absolute lunacy - if actually intended.
Things will change big time at 6pm Thursday and again 5pm Friday.
I only hope the team knows who's playing.

Still a fair bit of flexibility for the final team make up and of course also depending on post origin availability but as the Better Robbo alluded to Haumole can easily slot into a prop role Would be surprised and if Jake is very hopefully available that he would go to prop role but not out of the question . Haumole was a 13 in that successful 20 's side some years ago but of course no experience at N R L level to date ., and would not discount that Lawton could fill in there as well . Walker could play in a few positions and depending how the game was going , probably could even have a crack at 9 to give Croker a rest but Lawton could easily provide that role as well . Could only see Koula being on the wing but reckon that he could manage there O K , certainly is going to be interesting with the eventual and settled 18 man game day squad

With our forward stocks so low I thought that forward ( can’t spell his name ) that’s in our 30 but playing for BWSE might have been elevated before Moses Suli.

Still a fair bit of flexibility for the final team make up and of course also depending on post origin availability but as the Better Robbo alluded to Haumole can easily slot into a prop role Would be surprised and if Jake is very hopefully available that he would go to prop role but not out of the question . Haumole was a 13 in that successful 20 's side some years ago but of course no experience at N R L level to date ., and would not discount that Lawton could fill in there as well . Walker could play in a few positions and depending how the game was going , probably could even have a crack at 9 to give Croker a rest but Lawton could easily provide that role as well . Could only see Koula being on the wing but reckon that he could manage there O K , certainly is going to be interesting with the eventual and settled 18 man game day squad
Depending on the final make up of the side I can also see Walker playing the 13 role off the bench like Peachey does for Titans.

With our forward stocks so low I thought that forward ( can’t spell his name ) that’s in our 30 but playing for BWSE might have been elevated before Moses Suli.
Alec Tuitavake?

He only played 36 mins in NSW Cup last week and is only a few weeks back from injury + quite young for a middle. They probably don’t think he’s quite up to it yet

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210609-125224_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210609-125224_Chrome.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 72
I doubt Walker would cope defensively at 9, I think he'd be nothing more than a speed hump

Thats bizarre.. I'm usually all over who we have in or around the squad .. kids coming thru etc etc, had no idea this bloke was signed by us let alone in contention to play first grade

Depending on the final make up of the side I can also see Walker playing the 13 role off the bench like Peachey does for Titans.
Not sure about that but with the present availability situation guess that nothing can be definitely ruled out . still need a bit of cohesion around the ruck area with some link play and not sure Walker would be suited to that role . Still think that he can be a strong runner of the footy and has some dash and if not in the back line somewhere , again maybe a brief inter change go as a 9

I doubt Walker would cope defensively at 9, I think he'd be nothing more than a speed hump
Only suggesting short stints and when the game would open up a bit , think that he could trouble an opposition 's defence from there , should be able to throw some semblance of a acting 9 pass and not too concerned with his defence , He is still a fairly solidly built player and should be able to hold his own tackling there , really only has to get in their way with a bit of effort and should be able to wrap most runners up .

Big game this, after the disappointment of last week.

Whilst we are fresh after a bye with injuries returning, we have origin disruption to half our spine. This is a chance to either showcase our youth, prove how we deal with the origin-induced disruption, and test our depth in many positions should players be unable to back-up (which you would think is a strong possibility given its in Townsville with a 2-day turnaround)

At home, Bozo to honour, decent opposition in the Cowboys who are also rested after a bye, with momentum and small pool of injured players compared to us. Could be quite overwhelming.

This is the sort of game you expect Melbourne would win handsomely if they were in our shoes. We need to develop that kind of culture where we don't lean on cop-outs and excuses (like the absolute garbage Refs last week) - we just need to find a way in these games.

There are plenty of 'first graders' that are now regarded as fringe - guys like Walker, Suli, & Taufua - and they need to excel should they be chosen. These players that were formerly regarded as first choice need to play hungry, re-earn their spot. Some of their careers likely depend on it.

We simply need to win these sorts of games, and have our depth step in with a vengeance and a point to prove. Some players have done that brilliantly - Harper, Guac, Sipley come to mind as depth who are deservedly frontline now on performance. Hopefully the returning veterans feed off their enthusiasm and feel they must also earn their spot.

Barrett introduced a soft mental underbelly to the squad in my view, and you can see it afflicting the Doggies now - who had oodles more grit and competitiveness under Dean Pay.

These are the exact sorts of games that previously we would not only lose, but would also trigger a run of poor form that positions us firmly as also-rans. Last start against the Knights saw the re-emergence of that trait. It has to be stamped out, starting with the Cowboys on Friday.

Lift boys, Lift for Bozo, and start building the foundations of our Fortress again.

PS one more note: If Lottoland have abandoned stadium sponsorship, resulting in their name being dropped from the tickets/ground, then good fkn riddance. Partnering with that merchant of human misery was a stain on our brand, and regardless of the money they offered it was a pact with the devil. It was karma that we had such a poor record at Brookie with that parasite branding our beloved oval. I hope that relationship is over. Fingers crossed URM buried that scum where it belongs - at Kimbriki tip.

No matter how you play around with it ... the result is that Paseka, Marty and Sipley will all need to play big minutes in the engine room along side a backing up Jake ... they can do it but it is a big ask and a real concern ...

Have the fire power to out score them in the backs ... but our middle is seriously under gunned ... will be a worthy win if we can pull it off ...

Not sure about that but with the present availability situation guess that nothing can be definitely ruled out . still need a bit of cohesion around the ruck area with some link play and not sure Walker would be suited to that role . Still think that he can be a strong runner of the footy and has some dash and if not in the back line somewhere , again maybe a brief inter change go as a 9
Walker has played 5/8 so his link play should be as good as anyone. You also said his strength is his running, again a perfect fit for a ball playing 13 with a strong running game. I keep thinking back to when my bro said Manly don't see him as a centre anymore.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8