PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Chooks [Round 2, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
F74FFD40-0322-4F66-BE9E-9A30226EA6F2.jpeg
Don’t forget one lucky Sea Eagles member this weekend at Lottoland will win this brand new Mitsubishi ASX valued at over $25,490 from our great sponsors - Brookvale Mitsubishi

Defence was exceptionally good in that first half last week.

Yes and no. Yes it was an improvement over what we saw last year. But the reality is that the conditions and what was really a pedestrian attack from the Tigpies made our defence somewhat easier. If it were a dry day, would our defence have looked that much better, or stood up against an attack like Melbourne's or Souffs or the Chooks?

This weekend against the Chooks probably won't give a true answer because we're still missing top line players like Turbo, AFB and Walker, but it'll be closer to the truth. Especially if its a dry day.

Not if the tigers could hold onto the ball. Dry day and they score plenty

Not quite as negative on the defence as Fluffy and there were some good signs. But defending on a big track in the rain is light years from facing top quality opposition on a dry track hitting you at pace with support players either side. In the wet you can jam in and the opposition often doesn’t want to risk using width anyway.

I did like the way we kept our width on the odd occasion it was needed and our willingness to dig in last weeek but Keary Mitchell Manu Morris on a fast track is ten steps up from last week.

Be very very interesting and may define our season because we are not going to score many points this year.

Yes and no. Yes it was an improvement over what we saw last year. But the reality is that the conditions and what was really a pedestrian attack from the Tigpies made our defence somewhat easier. If it were a dry day, would our defence have looked that much better, or stood up against an attack like Melbourne's or Souffs or the Chooks?

This weekend against the Chooks probably won't give a true answer because we're still missing top line players like Turbo, AFB and Walker, but it'll be closer to the truth. Especially if its a dry day.

I was impressed with our back line defence as some on here predicted that Masters and co would tear us apart .

Our back line defence was a noticeable improvement from last year

To our back lines credit none of the cats backs threatened or scored .

Was Masters playing ? ;)

They’ll try hard for a while but in the end I see another capitulation.

We are a C Grade side playing against an A+ Grade side with million dollar players sitting on the bench.

We’ll get better and win a few especially when a few more troops are back but at this point of the season I see a cricket score.

50 plus if the tracks dry, and not for us.

I was impressed with our back line defence as some on here predicted that Masters and co would tear us apart .

Was Masters playing ? ;)

Don't get me wrong mate, as I said our defence was definitely an improvement over what we saw in 2018. But being realistic, the Tigpies aren't going to trouble many sides this year with their squad unless they all have what is often termed "career years".

I'll be much more impressed if we can produce the same determination in defence, and maintain it for at least half the game, this week against the defending premiers than I would be against a team with such a pedestrian attack like the Tigpies have. And Maguire's boys defence wasn't exactly great either considering that although we only actually scored once, we should have had 3 tries against them when we had so little of the ball throughout the match.

I'll be especially impressed if we can contain what is a full international back 5 (Tedesco, Tupou, Mitchel, Manu and Brett Morris). Without Turbo and Walks, our only back 5 rep players right now are Jorge who has played low level tests for both Tonga and Samoa and Suli who played for Tonga 2-3 years ago.

Last edited:

Was Masters playing ? ;)
Mssters was clearly the best outside back on the park with Suli.

Can't wait for my gf to drive us home in my new car

And that’s why it’s a great game Boz. We all se it differently.
And I’m not overly negative on the defence. There were some good signs mate. I think it’s just common sense to wait to see a fast open game which requires decision making before you make a judgement.

This game will be very tough but come on let’s All get down there Saturday night !! We can make a difference with our cheering and support !! First home game of the season under Hasler And I’m sure he will have the boys fired up for this one and you never know what can happen !!! Will never forget that 2013 grand final loss COME ON MANLY !!!!!!

Seriously compare the 2 teams. It's a laugh to think we can compete. The rorters fielding a $12mil side against our $5mil side. The nrl is a farce as is salary caps, tpas and this joke of an administration. Anything under a 20points loss will be a positive effort.
Except over the years I’ve seen many of our sides featuring wall-to-wall stars lose matches to what looked a mediocre lineup. Yes the salary cap sombrero got the Chooks the prize last year but still in any given game they’re certainly not guaranteed an easy win.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8