PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Eels v Manly [Round 11, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Clint

Tipping Member
Very impressive analysis from the Eels forum.

Very comprehensive write up. Good read. I loved this comment in reference to our game last week, "They wiped their backsides all over the Broncos 50-6, leaving skidmarks. " haha.
Look our Parra. It's your turn.
Go Manly!!!

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Based on ladder position and past records alone the Eels should easily win this.

And that’s just the position I like us to be in , outright underdogs.

Should be a fascinating game, let’s just hope it’s 13 on 13 for 80 minutes.

Couple of send offs and 10 set restarts to either side will kill the game.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
And that's one of the problems this send-off crackdown has caused. Every fan is now worried their team will be robbed because of accidental contact with the head.
Not worried it will happen to us - hoping it will happen to them!
I guess it's your glass half full vs ....

Cioran

Bencher
The Eels are as good as they can be while we're building and improving week by week. A glance at the respective injury lists shows that we have a lot more talent off the park but due back in coming weeks. The Eels may beat us this weekend but they are going to face a much tuffer team if we meet in the finals. It would be good to pocket the two points this weekend but I'll be happy with further improvement and a strong showing. We cost ourselves with some poor decisions and lapses in play against the Panthers.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
And that's one of the problems this send-off crackdown has caused. Every fan is now worried their team will be robbed because of accidental contact with the head.
This is indeed the point, as I tried to raise with @Woodsie
If they are accidental then increasing send offs and penalties will have zero affect on the number of such incidents.
If the number reduces, however, won’t that show that there must have been an element of carelessness or recklessness? In other words, not accurate to say accidental.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The Eels are as good as they can be while we're building and improving week by week. A glance at the respective injury lists shows that we have a lot more talent off the park but due back in coming weeks. The Eels may beat us this weekend but they are going to face a much tuffer team if we meet in the finals. It would be good to pocket the two points this weekend but I'll be happy with further improvement and a strong showing. We cost ourselves with some poor decisions and lapses in play against the Panthers.
We have loads of upside , they are about as good as they are going to get!

Hope we win but being really competitive will be enough.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
This is indeed the point, as I tried to raise with @Woodsie

Then you should have raised the point by stating your opinion ... asking me to define what an accidental tackle and unavoidable tackle constitute, from somebody who has watched the game for 50 years, just appeared to be a G up to me ... if I misunderstood your post, I apologise ..

But how they are refereed is a different issue to the over riding point that I was making ... and that is we don't have the insurmountable problem of changing tackling techniques that is being suggested ...

I repeat my point ... from an estimated 3500 tackles made last week, 3 were send offs .. and none of them had anything to do with technique, and everything to do with brainfarts ... so the issue here is to eliminate the brainfarts, or the players that have them ... not technique ..

Of the remaining estimated 3497 tackles last week, some 8 were considered worthy of a sin bin, these included unintentional etc ..

And yes, I agree with you that how we classify and referee these tackles is the key to a watchable game ..

So 3489 tackles out of 3500 are just fine and dandy ... that is a whoppingly hugmongus percentage of 99.69% of all tackles were fine ... or for the inverse fans ... there was a problem with less than half of 1% of tackles ....

And to your point .. I agree that how we classify tackles and adjudicate on them will be the key to a successful result ...

GuthosHalfBrother

Dole Bludger
Watch out, the King and the boys are coming to get you

Attachments

• KING.jpg
    KING.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 12
  • KING1.jpg
    KING1.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 12
Then you should have raised the point by stating your opinion ... asking me to define what an accidental tackle and unavoidable tackle constitute, from somebody who has watched the game for 50 years, just appeared to be a G up to me ... if I misunderstood your post, I apologise ..

But how they are refereed is a different issue to the over riding point that I was making ... and that is we don't have the insurmountable problem of changing tackling techniques that is being suggested ...

I repeat my point ... from an estimated 3500 tackles made last week, 3 were send offs .. and none of them had anything to do with technique, and everything to do with brainfarts ... so the issue here is to eliminate the brainfarts, or the players that have them ... not technique ..

Of the remaining estimated 3497 tackles last week, some 8 were considered worthy of a sin bin, these included unintentional etc ..

And yes, I agree with you that how we classify and referee these tackles is the key to a watchable game ..

So 3489 tackles out of 3500 are just fine and dandy ... that is a whoppingly hugmongus percentage of 99.69% of all tackles were fine ... or for the inverse fans ... there was a problem with less than half of 1% of tackles ....

And to your point .. I agree that how we classify tackles and adjudicate on them will be the key to a successful result ...
And the majority of those sin bins were only grade 1 offences and nothing more than a tickle across the cheeks.

JBW

Reserve Grader
Like last week we need to dominate in the forwards, the Parra pack is MUCH better than the Donkeys so it's certainly a test. If we can go yard for yard with them and get quick service to DCE I really think our speed out wide could be the difference. Also displine, if we get one or two put in the bin it could be the Eels by 30.

We haven't really beaten a decent team yet, this match tells us if we are legit or pretenders, lets hope with the milestones at stake for Jake etc the boys turn up, we've got a real bad track record at Parra. I'll be there cheering them on.

Rafferty

Mug punter
And the majority of those sin bins were only grade 1 offences and nothing more than a tickle across the cheeks.
Its a **** situation, did you watch last nights game? If you did, did you see the cows winger Taugali, the players are as much to blame as the administration, I would be embarrassed if I was him, he was barely touched by a finger or 2 and played for the response, when shown on replay, what a joke, if players want to keep milking for penalties, bins and send offs things are only going to get worse, I think the cows were robbed last week with the Lachlan Burr incident, their game was effectively ended with that call and it was a shocker, so how do the cows respond? Well if you can’t beat them join them, it’s **** behaviour by the players and the coaches if they are instructing their players to play for penalties, if your hit unfairly or hurt fair enough, but this B/S of milking and playing for penalties or reprisals is pissing me off as much as the match officials and isn’t doing the game any favours.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
11 8 3 75 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
10 6 4 -10 14
12 6 5 36 13
11 6 5 107 12
11 5 6 47 12