Game Day: Penrith v Manly [Round 12, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
When the commentators were calling Manly flat, I felt it was deserved tonight in more ways than 1.
Both in energy (the first 70 minutes) and the attacking shape....yes it's needed to have flat options in tight to tighten the belt of the defence, but most wide shifts, the players seemed to catch the ball and then take off from a standing start ??
Did anyone notice the players were often at first receiver flat footed, as in not moving forward.....including the halves who should be running direct on taking the ball from dummy half, to both bring team mates onto the ball, plus hold the defence up....this often created a spiral of sideways attack rather than playing to the strength of straight through the middle and winning quick plays.
This was a Massive issue at times with our hit ups allowing the defensive speed to consume us, minimising metre's and stalling the momentum.
A real sign of urgency was lack of pressure on their kickers, apart from an early charge down, they had all day.

Jake, Dce, Croker, Turbo, Suli, Parker. GET those 6 back in soon or we are toast for 2019. Paseka ,Waddell, Fainu, Olakauatu / TRex on the bench. Gojetski out.

Perhaps @joeboy is an elite over achieving type. There were some out there tonight who are deserving of a spray, but Jorge ain’t one of them. The only dropped ball error he made can be attributed to Marty throwing a ball one metre behind him at speed.

If we were to remove Jorge’s 150 odd run metres (mostly out of our own end under defensive pressure) then the halves would have been kicking from our 30-40 line, and we can all see that neither of them were up to it.

Jorge is looking slow. Like needs a walking stick slow. His play of the ball has to be the slowest in the game.

Miskie brings the ball back just as good as Jorge, and Garrick is our best winger.

Pressure is on.

When the commentators were calling Manly flat, I felt it was deserved tonight in more ways than 1.
Both in energy (the first 70 minutes) and the attacking shape....yes it's needed to have flat options in tight to tighten the belt of the defence, but most wide shifts, the players seemed to catch the ball and then take off from a standing start ??
Did anyone notice the players were often at first receiver flat footed, as in not moving forward.....including the halves who should be running direct on taking the ball from dummy half, to both bring team mates onto the ball, plus hold the defence up....this often created a spiral of sideways attack rather than playing to the strength of straight through the middle and winning quick plays.
This was a Massive issue at times with our hit ups allowing the defensive speed to consume us, minimising metre's and stalling the momentum.
A real sign of urgency was lack of pressure on their kickers, apart from an early charge down, they had all day.
Every team goes through flat periods. Only half way through the season, still got to get through 3 origin matches and then we can make a run for it. I just hope we can field a full strength side for most games and will be confident we'll be playing finals

noticed that too. Different when DCE is there and Jake, they catch the ball on the run and offer much better select passing out in front of the player, our halves tonight offered too much short passing flat footed, and the players around them were not directed well enough

Agree mostly Maxta but reckon a fair amount of that flatness can be attributed to watching sixth tackle options a twelve year old wouldn’t take and as a result having to defend midfield all the time instead of crammed up an in defence when you get a teamed pinned down, something that’s been a feature of our game earlier in season. The midfield bombs were ludicrous but why can’t thry at least kick them higher? I’ve coached juniors who kick higher than that.The kicking the last two weeks beggars belief.

I’m sure it takes a toll on players when they know their efforts are being wasted every time with poor options, especially after the hard slog of the last few weeks.

Agree mostly Maxta but reckon a fair amount of that flatness can be attributed to watching sixth tackle options a twelve year old wouldn’t take and as a result having to defend midfield all the time instead of crammed up an in defence when you get a teamed pinned down, something that’s been a feature of our game earlier in season. The midfield bombs were ludicrous but why can’t thry at least kick them higher? I’ve coached juniors who kick higher than that.The kicking the last two weeks beggars belief.

I’m sure it takes a toll on players when they know their efforts are being wasted every time with poot options, especially after the hard slog of the last few weeks.
With you there mate - those kicks at times were deadset embarrassing for NRL level.
They were not only pop gun style, but basically straight to the back 3 for easy outs and allowing them field position and momentum....was frustrating big time.

Perhaps @joeboy is an elite over achieving type. There were some out there tonight who are deserving of a spray, but Jorge ain’t one of them. The only dropped ball error he made can be attributed to Marty throwing a ball one metre behind him at speed.

If we were to remove Jorge’s 150 odd run metres (mostly out of our own end under defensive pressure) then the halves would have been kicking from our 30-40 line, and we can all see that neither of them were up to it.

My issues with Jorge stem from the fact his play the balls are just to slow, it puts us on the backfoot at the beginning of every set, the next guy after him gets smashed and compounds through the set.try watching footy instead of looking at the metres gained column

He is also to slow these days, how many times was he out of position with walker in space,

Nothing to do with dropping the poor pass from tapau. Although, like most of his game lacked a bit of urgency

One thing is certain. It was obvious earlier in year that Des has doubts about Kane. I don’t think he will cop the stuff served up tonight.

One positive was it was great to see Walker back firing some shots. He did everything he could to liven us up. Decent service and he may have dragged us over the line tonight.

That Elliot mistake cost us the game. I think people overrate him on here (not meaning you - just a general comment). It was flat out sloppy, it wasn’t a tough take.
He was barely in the game and ye that was a pathetic attempt and a piss weak try. He never linked up with our backs in attack, when marty threw the ball to taufua elliot should of been there. We should of hammered Isaiah yeo all night walker would of dismantled him yet we did the opposite. Fmd!

My issues with Jorge stem from the fact his play the balls are just to slow, it puts us on the backfoot at the beginning of every set, the next guy after him gets smashed and compounds through the set.try watching footy instead of looking at the metres gained column

He is also to slow these days, how many times was he out of position with walker in space,

Nothing to do with dropping the poor pass from tapau. Although, like most of his game lacked a bit of urgency
https://www.nrl.com/draw/nrl-premiership/2019/round-12/panthers-v-sea-eagles/

Walker and LG are even slower than Jorge :tmi:
Capture+_2019-05-30-22-44-15.jpg

Yes it's pointless going to the trouble of setting up an overlap for Jorge these days cause the defence will get him in 10m even if he has a head start. Starting to remind me of Matt Wright. I think hes hanging by a thread. Sadly.

Cust showed some real spirit tonight....to me he looks like a ball playing back rower. Not convinced hes the answer long term as a half but he is genuine and a big unit....why not back row or bench when dce back.?

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8