Pangai Jr Signs with Bulldogs for 3 years

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The most interesting thing about this Dogs cap is the fact that you MUST have 30 contracted players (or at least 29 before August 1).

So, OK, one could argue that they can fit the likes of Pangai and Vaughan under their cap having tallied up the estimated cost of their most recent signings, but one must consider that they still need room in the cap to sign 10+ other players to meet the requirements of a 30 man squad...it's all well and good to go out and sign an assortment of stars but you can't stop there...you still have to fill the rest of the squad and they aren't all going to accept a minimum contract.

Even a guy like Adam Elliot was chased hard by the Warriors and Dragons and was recently re-signed. He is not a 200k a year footballer. More like 400-500k.

That's why I question how they are managing all these signings...

Easy mate. Here are the advertised or known salaries (Cap will be 9.11 mill):

Josh Addo-Carr: $550,000
Matt Burton: $550,000
Nick Cotric: $600,000
Josh Jackson: $600,000
Dylan Napa; $650,000
Tevita Pangai Junior: $750,000
Luke Thompson: $725,000

That's $4.425 mill in known salaries (leaving 4.685 mill over)

Assume:

01. Josh Addo-Carr
02. Nick Cotrick
  • 03. Brent Naden - 325k
  • 04. Corey Allan - 300k
05. Jayden Okunbor - 250k
06. Matt Burton
07. XXXXXXXXX
* 08. Paul Vaughan - 500k
09. XXXXXXXXX
10. Luke Thompson
* 11. Jack Hetherington - 325k
12. Tevita Pangai Junior
13. Josh Jackson

* 14. Matt Dufty - 350k
15. Dylan Napa
* 16. XXXXXXXXX - 125k
17. Corey Waddell - 150k

That's 2.325 mill more in estimated salaries (leaving 2.4525 mill) for the remaining players. or on average $163,500 per player (MORE than enough for the depth, considering 4 players can get $77.5k, and the rest can get $105k).

Also tells me they are able to fit another one or two big name players in. Current players are under contract (for next season):

18. Jake Averillo - 250k
19. Matt Doorey - 120k
20. Adam Elliott - 200k
21. Raymond Faitala-Mariner - 180k
22. Kyle Flanagan - 250k
23. Tui Katoa - 180k
24. Jeremy Marshall-King - 120k
25. Ava Seumanufagai - 110k
26. Joe Stimson - 150k
27. Jackson Topine - 120k
28. Brandon Wakeham - 110k

I know Sione Katoa will be re-signed for sure 180k.

That's $1.970 mill (estimate) for remaining players (leaving circa $485,250) in cap space (NOT including $200k for their long standing players), or their advertised $59.68k, or the $100k in Motor Vehicle Allowance (let's exclude the latter two).

This leaves approximately: $685,250 to acquire a hooker or halfback (and round out the 30), so I'm thinking possibly a player like Koroisou or Taylor / Moylan.

Shoulder to the head of Burbo on debut aside, I'm sure it's been reported that he is good mates with the Trbojevics . He might fit in well here and I agree he still has plenty to offer. Problem is, where would we fit him?
I'm more or less thinking if they shop Taupau as has been suggested. If Marty is on 800k as reported, you'd have think that amount would get a deal with Klemmer over the line. He is 4 years younger than Taupau, more consistent and with less errors in his game. I'd take him.

I do remember rumours about him wanting out of the Dogs when Des was coach because he was being played at lock...not sure if there was truth in it because he left the Dogs when Pay was coaching, but it would be interesting to know what sort of relationship exists between Klem and Des.

Something about a top 2 team adding a star player in August seems, well not like it used to be.
Anyone got Cam Smith's phone number, could be handy if Croker gets hurt?
To think that Melbourne could bring and Origin winger in (Coates) to replace the injured George Jennings and Penrith will have TPJ coming off the bench, when both clubs are already way out in front, just makes a joke of the NRL transfer/salary cap system.

You watch this became the new normal. Every year, just before finals time, rich clubs will miraculously find room for 2 month contracts/loan agreements for players that are either going to other clubs or missing the finals with their current club and want a chance to 'win a premiership'. It's laughable. TPJ should be able to just waltz into Penrith for 6-8 games and claim a ring. He has been languishing near last with Brisbane for most of the year.

Easy mate. Here are the advertised or known salaries (Cap will be 9.11 mill):

Josh Addo-Carr: $550,000
Matt Burton: $550,000
Nick Cotric: $600,000
Josh Jackson: $600,000
Dylan Napa; $650,000
Tevita Pangai Junior: $750,000
Luke Thompson: $725,000

That's $4.425 mill in known salaries (leaving 4.685 mill over)

Assume:

01. Josh Addo-Carr
02. Nick Cotrick
  • 03. Brent Naden - 325k
  • 04. Corey Allan - 300k
05. Jayden Okunbor - 250k
06. Matt Burton
07. XXXXXXXXX
* 08. Paul Vaughan - 500k
09. XXXXXXXXX
10. Luke Thompson
* 11. Jack Hetherington - 325k
12. Tevita Pangai Junior
13. Josh Jackson

* 14. Matt Dufty - 350k
15. Dylan Napa
* 16. XXXXXXXXX - 125k
17. Corey Waddell - 150k

That's 2.325 mill more in estimated salaries (leaving 2.4525 mill) for the remaining players. or on average $163,500 per player (MORE than enough for the depth, considering 4 players can get $77.5k, and the rest can get $105k).

Also tells me they are able to fit another one or two big name players in. Current players are under contract (for next season):

18. Jake Averillo - 250k
19. Matt Doorey - 120k
20. Adam Elliott - 200k
21. Raymond Faitala-Mariner - 180k
22. Kyle Flanagan - 250k
23. Tui Katoa - 180k
24. Jeremy Marshall-King - 120k
25. Ava Seumanufagai - 110k
26. Joe Stimson - 150k
27. Jackson Topine - 120k
28. Brandon Wakeham - 110k

I know Sione Katoa will be re-signed for sure 180k.

That's $1.970 mill (estimate) for remaining players (leaving circa $485,250) in cap space (NOT including $200k for their long standing players), or their advertised $59.68k, or the $100k in Motor Vehicle Allowance (let's exclude the latter two).

This leaves approximately: $685,250 to acquire a hooker or halfback (and round out the 30), so I'm thinking possibly a player like Koroisou or Taylor / Moylan.
Napa off contract and wont be re-signed I believe.

I think their offer to Vaughan is around the 400k mark so swap them two and add 250k savings.

Now obvs some of those numbers wre wild estimates but I agree with the sentiment, they had a war chest and have spent it

***edit*****ooops just saw you already had Vaughan in there.

Well Nap goes at 650k to spend.
Thompson, Vaughan and Hethrington the 3 key props

I also think they will push forward with Averillo and Burton as their halves

I'm seeking an answer.
Who did Penrith sack from their top 30 roster in order to fit in TPJ?
(I thought each club had to have 30 players signed up by mid-season. Easts sacked some poor schmuck last season to fit in Money-Bill)
Or is TPJ regarded as a 'Development Player' for The 'Riff?

I'm seeking an answer.
(I thought each club had to have 30 players signed up by mid-season. Easts sacked some poor schmuck last season to fit in Money-Bill)
Zane tetevano retired earlier this season for personal reasons I think

I'm seeking an answer.
Clubs have until the start of August to finalise their top 30; they had until March to lock in their top 28.

To think that Melbourne could bring and Origin winger in (Coates) to replace the injured George Jennings and Penrith will have TPJ coming off the bench, when both clubs are already way out in front, just makes a joke of the NRL transfer/salary cap system.

You watch this became the new normal. Every year, just before finals time, rich clubs will miraculously find room for 2 month contracts/loan agreements for players that are either going to other clubs or missing the finals with their current club and want a chance to 'win a premiership'. It's laughable. TPJ should be able to just waltz into Penrith for 6-8 games and claim a ring. He has been languishing near last with Brisbane for most of the year.
It’s bull****, you know it, I know it and everyone knows it !!

But we have to ensure the favourites get their chocolates don’t we !!

It’s like a little “ well who do we think should win this year “ , oh the poor Panthers who did so well last year but we’re pipped at the post by the perennial Premiers the Storm.

So let’s bend the rules to ensure the have every chance of winning the second time around.

Stinks to high heaven in my opinion.

I'm seeking an answer.
IIRC, the NRL ruled that anyone from outside the 30 can play, so that means there is no top 30 rule.

IIRC, the NRL ruled that anyone from outside the 30 can play, so that means there is no top 30 rule.
I think the NRL is trying to make it as opaque as possible these days as who wants to have to answer questions from fans?
The Panthers site already lists 30 players.
I think after a certain date this year clubs were allowed to select players contracted players from outside the top 30, but how that works in terms of salary cap, who knows?

The NRL attitude seems to be "Oh you fans just run along and tune in to cheer for whoever happens to be playing for your team this week, don't worry your little heads about the hows whys and wherefores".

It feels like a somewhat desperate move for the team which could actually unsettle them in the long run - it does not feel "right" considering how they have approached the past couple of years

First non-back Barrett has signed. He probably chose the Dogs so he can have a few beers with the boys instead of having to train hard and be accountable with Madge.
It would be a toss up between Madge and Twenty if I was a player looking for a new club, I think both of them are overrated, if I was looking to bolster my bank balance it might be fine but if I wanted to add a premiership to my list of achievements I wouldn't sign with either of them, I think we dodged a bullet not signing Madge and well we all know about Twenty

There is a top 30, technically, but essentially you are correct.

The NRL's June 30 deadline for the finalisation of rosters has been pushed back to the start of August as part of a raft of contracting changes to offer flexibility to players and clubs.
Clubs will now have until the first Monday in August to make additions to their rosters, including mid-season transfers from other teams.

The June 30 date has long formed some part of the NRL's transfer window, but it was pushed back last season to August due to the delayed season.
That will stay in place for 2021, with the Rugby League Players' Association supporting the change to give more freedom to players.

Theoretically, it will allow clubs to pick up unwanted players from other clubs until later in the season in the event of injuries if they haven't filled their 30 spots.
Clubs will also be given more freedom over who they can select in teams under other agreements reached over the summer.
Development players will be able to be picked in NRL teams from round 11, where previously they couldn't be selected until after June 30.
Players from outside of each club's top 30 will also be available for selection from round 11, where previously they were barred altogether unless granted an exemption for injuries.
The change will be a significant boost for players in reserve grade, who otherwise had little light at the end of the tunnel even if they were performing well.
Clubs have been working with the new rules for some time, with a minimum of only 28 players required on their rosters from March 1, down from the previous mark of 29.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4