more COVID discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gallens career was all but over against that big old retired kickboxing bouncer who staggered him 3-4 fights ago
Certainly not any pro boxer, but a head like granite and a big heart....hope Josh knows what he got himself into.
My question
Does Josh just want a quick payday, or does he really feel he has the skills to box at a decent level ?

I am astonished the club ratifies this type of thing by a contracted player. If they do and he is injured in any way that affects his performance for MWSE I hope there is a clause in his contract that permits us to tear up that contract. The whole concept of allowing a contracted player who has undergone serious wrist surgery this year to take part in a boxing match is absurd to say the least. Was his wrist injury this year caused by boxing training or footy? My guess is boxing and we paid for it....both in surgery, rehab and games missed. Surely our management can't be that stupid.

Firstly, hope you feel better soon from your second jab.

As for where the extra deaths come from – take a quick look at the article I linked, it’s quite short and quotes a variety of credible sources, experts in health statistics. It is wrong to say we can ‘safely assume Covid deaths aren’t undercounted’. Common sense – and now a bunch of experts – say it is far more likely the opposite. And by a long way.

So what, you ask?

Well, minimising the seriousness of Covid is part of the argument that the pandemic is being used as an excuse to force or trick us into sacrificing ‘our society, our sovereignty, our childrens future’. We need to open our eyes sheeple, our politicians are a new ruling class, maybe we’d do better with a truly benevolent dictator and a heavily regulated society… (so the argument goes).

Look, the string of posts in this thread aren’t mere idle musings to pass the off-season. We really are in a time of uncertainty and social upheaval, it’s a time to be very clear about the possible directions our societies might move in. Learn from history. We all know what the upheavals of the 1930s produced.

It’s important to challenge misinformation and misleading arguments that downplay the seriousness of Covid. I would say particularly when they are made in a compelling manner by someone who blithely asserts that those who die of covid aren’t important anyway, a few million deaths aren’t important.

Firstly, hope you feel better soon from your second jab.

As for where the extra deaths come from – take a quick look at the article I linked, it’s quite short and quotes a variety of credible sources, experts in health statistics. It is wrong to say we can ‘safely assume Covid deaths aren’t undercounted’. Common sense – and now a bunch of experts – say it is far more likely the opposite. And by a long way.

So what, you ask?

Well, minimising the seriousness of Covid is part of the argument that the pandemic is being used as an excuse to force or trick us into sacrificing ‘our society, our sovereignty, our childrens future’. We need to open our eyes sheeple, our politicians are a new ruling class, maybe we’d do better with a truly benevolent dictator and a heavily regulated society… (so the argument goes).

Look, the string of posts in this thread aren’t mere idle musings to pass the off-season. We really are in a time of uncertainty and social upheaval, it’s a time to be very clear about the possible directions our societies might move in. Learn from history. We all know what the upheavals of the 1930s produced.

It’s important to challenge misinformation and misleading arguments that downplay the seriousness of Covid. I would say particularly when they are made in a compelling manner by someone who blithely asserts that those who die of covid aren’t important anyway, a few million deaths aren’t important.
Thank you.

I am astonished the club ratifies this type of thing by a contracted player. If they do and he is injured in any way that affects his performance for MWSE I hope there is a clause in his contract that permits us to tear up that contract. The whole concept of allowing a contracted player who has undergone serious wrist surgery this year to take part in a boxing match is absurd to say the least. Was his wrist injury this year caused by boxing training or footy? My guess is boxing and we paid for it....both in surgery, rehab and games missed. Surely our management can't be that stupid.
Perspective time .....

What is a players priority

Winning a comp for the club he is contracted to

Or risking injury and winning a boxing match ?

Is it possible these days to put on a fight without all the rubbishy trash talk? Why do the boxers feel compelled to engage in this staged nonsense? It's as hollow as hearing the contestants on The Block claim they don't have the budget to finish their houses.
It is aimed at the lowest form of wit…same crowd who watch WWE and think it is all real, including the trash-talk where somebody sneaks up and smashes a fake chair on someone’s head while they’re saying snarky things about their mum… Actually, i think I just described Americans…

It is aimed at the lowest form of wit…same crowd who watch WWE and think it is all real, including the trash-talk where somebody sneaks up and smashes a fake chair on someone’s head while they’re saying snarky things about their mum… Actually, i think I just described Americans…
Re WWE the far majority of people understand (and have done) for a number of years that it is a scripted live action show - much like most tv

A great ‘old mate’ of mine was ‘Jimmy The Greek’ in the old wrestling days of the ‘70’s and they banned him because he refused to obey the masters in production.

I haven’t seen him for 5 years, but he was such a funny guy and limo driver to all that mattered.

Unfortunately in todays society people think that the loudest or most aggressive wins the discussion.
People need to stop attacking or mocking peoples viewpoints if different from theirs no matter how much it might be hard to.I was discussing with Cioran his views and it was an open discussion,as soon as he was attacked he left the conversation.
I have many people through work that I have come across as anti-vaxers and whilst I will not say that discussing with people will change everyones minds...I can guarantee that an aggressive approach changes nothing.
I converse with people and can say that there are 3 people I have had discussions with(at work) who were very adamant and aggressive anti-vaxers who have now been vaccinated and view it differently(not saying you can change the world).It was not through be-smirching(thanks Bearfax ;) ) their opinions but through rational and logical conversations(civil too even though emotive).
Attacking peoples opinions changes no minds but closes many.....

A great ‘old mate’ of mine was ‘Jimmy The Greek’ in the old wrestling days of the ‘70’s and they banned him because he refused to obey the masters in production.

I haven’t seen him for 5 years, but he was such a funny guy and limo driver to all that mattered.
With a name like that he’s probably been ‘disappeared’!

I have some Facebook friends who are avid anti vaxxers , the crap they post bores me to tears ( I never bother posting the opposite or the fact I’m fully vaxxed ) but I just scroll through.

I think that’s one giant downside of social media ( including Silvertails ) is that people can’t seem to tolerate other people having different views.

It’s almost like “ my view is the only one that’s right “, no that’s not the case , your view is simply that , your view.

I occasionally engage on the ABC Brisbane Facebook page my disgust at the way our Premier has , and still is, handling border closures , in particular to do with exemptions.

It’s absolutely full of Lefties , and you only have to even say you disagree and you are attacked unmercifully.

It’s a view , and unless I’m crossing any racial or hate line it should be able to be posted up without the need to then attack me personally.

We all need to learn the art of tolerating another persons view, something this generation needs a few lessons on.

This is my body and this is my wallet. It is a personal and financial choice. I am double vaccinated. I did it for my family.

It’s a view , and unless I’m crossing any racial or hate line it should be able to be posted up without the need to then attack me personally.

We all need to learn the art of tolerating another persons view, something this generation needs a few lessons on.
Mark, I can't help but wonder how your above statements sit with your relentless attacks on Greta T. To be perfectly honest with you it's been really awful watching an old man relentlessly attack a young woman as you have.

Unfortunately in todays society people think that the loudest or most aggressive wins the discussion.
People need to stop attacking or mocking peoples viewpoints if different from theirs no matter how much it might be hard to.I was discussing with Cioran his views and it was an open discussion,as soon as he was attacked he left the conversation.
I have many people through work that I have come across as anti-vaxers and whilst I will not say that discussing with people will change everyones minds...I can guarantee that an aggressive approach changes nothing.
I converse with people and can say that there are 3 people I have had discussions with(at work) who were very adamant and aggressive anti-vaxers who have now been vaccinated and view it differently(not saying you can change the world).It was not through be-smirching(thanks Bearfax ;) ) their opinions but through rational and logical conversations(civil too even though emotive).
Attacking peoples opinions changes no minds but closes many.....
It was probably just his dinner time or something. He doesn’t post here every day, I'm sure he’ll be back

Besides, I don’t believe Cioran would ever be chased away by loud and aggressive posts on a forum. He likes the banter. He wanted a controversial discussion (he said he wanted steam to come out of my ears - well sometimes people get scalded by steam!) He's obviously sophisticated and very capable of debating a point.

On the other hand - if I really was so loud and aggressive as to hurt his feelings (personally, I don't think so) then I’m sorry I caused a premature end to your interesting discussion. (You can always use private messages if you don’t want interruptions.)

Through in perception bias and the chances of changing someone's mind is minimal at best

Through in perception bias and the chances of changing someone's mind is minimal at best
Debates are rarely undertaken with a view to changing the mind of one's opponent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8