more COVID discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great take on it, the one thing that stands out to me is how the Chinese are still treating Covid the same as they did in January 2020, two days ago they put 4 million people into a hard lockdown, this is a country that have vaccination as a must not a choice.

Do the Chinese have more data then the rest of the world and why are they still reacting to covid in this manner is the only concern I have on it.
I didn't know about the new lockdown. I know they've had a couple of recent outbreaks in the north and they are building new isolation camps but Xi also has problems with the internal security apparatus so it might suit him to have them tied up with Covid measures. The politics in the PRC are complicated.

I didn't know about the new lockdown. I know they've had a couple of recent outbreaks in the north and they are building new isolation camps but Xi also has problems with the internal security apparatus so it might suit him to have them tied up with Covid measures. The politics in the PRC are complicated.
Saw where people who were deemed suspicious had to have QR codes on their front door, and everytime a person went in they had to scan.

Think that in some outbreaks of the black death or The Plague of many centuries ago at one stage took out something like one in three of the population of the European or known European population then . European diseases particularly in the Americas [ north and south ] contracted by the local native or Indian population wiped out huge numbers of them when there was initial contact and settlement . Something in the human gene pool or constitution still enabling or eventually enabling sufficient survival rates and some form of herd immunity to ensure the continuation of the species . Maybe puts the current pandemic into some type of perspective but obviously still need the best available containment measures Same with the rest of the earthly plant and animal kingdom, always plenty of threats for basic survival , but somehow the same circumstances allowing continual survival of the species . Most of the extinction outcomes , more human interference or climatic factors . Seems that most living organisms just need the basics to survive in an adapted or natural environment ,once that balance is compromised in any way , more a battle for survival then . Humans or sufficient number of humans seem to be the worst offenders of getting or causing that vital balance out of whack despite plenty of well intended attempts to avoid or rectify that trend .

I think it is more a reference to taking care of your own,an analogy would be like when a new dominant male Lion displaces the old male,any cubs from the old male in the pride will usually be killed by the incoming male as it futhers his genes over the old males.
With respect, suggesting that lion analogy is too generous on your part, besides which if humans behaved that way they’d be in jail.

Taking care of your own, sure, but "to the exclusion of others"? Simply, that cannot be “a trait of humans” when it’s obvious that, quite the contrary, many humans are vitally concerned and interested in other societies than those ‘in which they live and breed’. Eg anyone with a working class consciousness knows beyond doubt that what happens to workers in other countries has a direct affect on what happens to workers in our country. Even many people without class consciousness are vitally concerned with what happens in other societies, for example because of climate change.

Further, it is absurd to say that concerning ourselves with our own society to the exclusion of others is “a sound evolutionary strategy and favours your genes over those of humans only very distantly related to you”. Any rudimentary understanding of genetics reveals the opposite is true, which is why we avoid inbreeding and incest.

Of course, if you like a recessive characteristic such as blue eyes then both parents must have those genes. And if one was inclined to promote some sort of racial purity (a disgusting term) then certainly one might try to advance such a flawed theory in justification of it.

With respect, suggesting that lion analogy is too generous on your part, besides which if humans behaved that way they’d be in jail.

Taking care of your own, sure, but "to the exclusion of others"? Simply, that cannot be “a trait of humans” when it’s obvious that, quite the contrary, many humans are vitally concerned and interested in other societies than those ‘in which they live and breed’. Eg anyone with a working class consciousness knows beyond doubt that what happens to workers in other countries has a direct affect on what happens to workers in our country. Even many people without class consciousness are vitally concerned with what happens in other societies, for example because of climate change.

Further, it is absurd to say that concerning ourselves with our own society to the exclusion of others is “a sound evolutionary strategy and favours your genes over those of humans only very distantly related to you”. Any rudimentary understanding of genetics reveals the opposite is true, which is why we avoid inbreeding and incest.

Of course, if you like a recessive characteristic such as blue eyes then both parents must have those genes. And if you were inclined to promote some sort of racial purity (a disgusting term) then certainly you might try to advance such a flawed theory in justification of it.
You must live in a lovely world,take a little trip down history lane and see how lovely people treat each other who are different from them(I am not advocating that it is the right thing),if you saw something different in his comments then that is up to you,I did not see any promotion or advocation of a master race. I would suggest you be very careful about linking me to promoting a master race or something similar as that **** will get you in a lot of trouble.

Just out of interest my daughter , who lives in Moree ( my old home town ) now has a son at boarding school in Toowoomba , this year is his first year.

She put on Facebook yesterday

Whoooo hooooo, tomorrow I can go back to Italy, it’s just a pity I can’t go to Toowoomba to see my son.

I would suggest you be very careful about linking me to promoting a master race
Absolutely not and I'm sorry if that was implied or you took that from my post. I was merely disagreeing with your interpretation of Cioran's words as merely "more a reference to taking care of your own".

The rest of my post was discussing not anything you said, but instead quoting the words Cioran used, and giving my reasons.

Do I see something different in his comments? Clearly I have some concerns which quite honestly I would love to see unequivocally denied. I've tried asking a couple of fairly direct questions but he's been too clever for me and replied with comments about toadstools and water fleas. If he comes back at some stage I'm sure we'll get to the heart of it all eventually.

Meanwhile I confirm I wasn't meaning to have a go at you, it is the very carefully chosen words of the other guy that I am grappling with.

Is it possible these days to put on a fight without all the rubbishy trash talk? Why do the boxers feel compelled to engage in this staged nonsense? It's as hollow as hearing the contestants on The Block claim they don't have the budget to finish their houses.
Ali really started it however, he was really good at
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. His hands can't hit what his eyes can't see. Now you see me, now you don't. George thinks he will, but I know he won't."
“It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.”
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.”
“Braggin' is when a person says something and can’t do it. I do what I say.”
"It's gonna be a chilla, and a killa, and a thrilla, when I fight the Gorilla in Manila."
“I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was."
"I'm so mean, I make medicine sick."
“I should be a postage stamp. That's the only way I'll ever get licked."
"He’s (Sonny Liston) too ugly to be the world champ. The world champ should be pretty like me!"
"I am the astronaut of boxing. Joe Louis and Dempsey were just jet pilots. I'm in a world of my own."
“I’ve wrestled with alligators. I’ve tussled with a whale. I done handcuffed lightning. And throw thunder in jail.”

Where Ali was clever, others miss the mark and just throw insults at each other

They sell tickets and get viewers to watch them smash the crap out of each other. It’s all PR BS. Anything to get a headline, because if they didn’t, who’d watch it?

Ali really started it however, he was really good at
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. His hands can't hit what his eyes can't see. Now you see me, now you don't. George thinks he will, but I know he won't."
“It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.”
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.”
“Braggin' is when a person says something and can’t do it. I do what I say.”
"It's gonna be a chilla, and a killa, and a thrilla, when I fight the Gorilla in Manila."
“I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was."
"I'm so mean, I make medicine sick."
“I should be a postage stamp. That's the only way I'll ever get licked."
"He’s (Sonny Liston) too ugly to be the world champ. The world champ should be pretty like me!"
"I am the astronaut of boxing. Joe Louis and Dempsey were just jet pilots. I'm in a world of my own."
“I’ve wrestled with alligators. I’ve tussled with a whale. I done handcuffed lightning. And throw thunder in jail.”

Where Ali was clever, others miss the mark and just throw insults at each other

They sell tickets and get viewers to watch them smash the crap out of each other. It’s all PR BS. Anything to get a headline, because if they didn’t, who’d watch it?
Ali was the greatest no doubt ,on a number of fronts ,wit being one of them .

Just read that unfortunately and it was the first thing I have read about the fight,what a load of absolute drivel by 2 adults behaving like 12 year old punks......(have to admit that Gallen was the main numbnutt, like he had been given bad acting lessons)

No, Covid deaths appear to be well documented. If you listen to the case details ....

.... I think we can safely assume that Covid deaths aren't undercounted.
The official count has just hit 5 million - but estimates are it could be 3 times higher. Or more!

5 million people have officially died from COVID-19. But who's not being counted?

Of course Mr Cioran is a very busy man, so meanwhile @Kevinward777 - as the ardent admirer of his ideas - perhaps you might care to comment?

As you will recall, on the weekend I challenged him for trying to minimise the seriousness of the pandemic. Which he then confirmed he was indeed doing because it was a pretty ineffectual pandemic. (I think this was the point where you complimented him on his brilliance and his “beautiful thinking mind”.)

Obviously, the context of some concern being that far-right wing organisations feature strongly in anti-lockdown/anti-vax movements all over the world.

And right here on this very site, in this thread your hero quite openly posits advantages of dictatorship over democracy. And brazenly asserts that those who die of covid are unimportant. Outrageous statements. (At which you have failed to even raise an eyebrow) (so far!)

The official count has just hit 5 million - but estimates are it could be 3 times higher. Or more!

5 million people have officially died from COVID-19. But who's not being counted?

Of course Mr Cioran is a very busy man, so meanwhile @Kevinward777 - as the ardent admirer of his ideas - perhaps you might care to comment?

As you will recall, on the weekend I challenged him for trying to minimise the seriousness of the pandemic. Which he then confirmed he was indeed doing because it was a pretty ineffectual pandemic. (I think this was the point where you complimented him on his brilliance and his “beautiful thinking mind”.)

Obviously, the context of some concern being that far-right wing organisations feature strongly in anti-lockdown/anti-vax movements all over the world.

And right here on this very site, in this thread your hero quite openly posits advantages of dictatorship over democracy. And brazenly asserts that those who die of covid are unimportant. Outrageous statements. (At which you have failed to even raise an eyebrow) (so far!)
Wow, what are all these extra deaths - 10 million by your count - being attributed to? Perhaps they extended the "died with covid" death statistic from 30 days to 90? That would do the trick - mathematically speaking, of course. Please excuse my tardy reply, I had my second shot today, and my brain is aching like a b1tch.

Just read that unfortunately and it was the first thing I have read about the fight,what a load of absolute drivel by 2 adults behaving like 12 year old punks......(have to admit that Gallen was the main numbnutt, like he had been given bad acting lessons)
Nah… the real numb nuts are the idiots who tune into this and perpetuate the garbage. Tune out and don’t invest a second into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10