Members Council

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
I’ll be there at tomorrow nights meeting and am happy to put forward those listed above questions guys.
Good job Mitch I am away with family down South Coast - so will leave it your capable hands

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart

The Penns again. Are they really this churlish and over sensitive to all things and people not fully genuflecting at their feet. Issue after issue keeps saying to me that this family are selfish money people who cant handle points of view other than their own...which seem consistently mistaken when it comes to our club. They may be clever business people but they seem to have no idea regarding interpersonal relationships and respecting that the other guy might not agree but might not be wrong. There sounds like some serious immaturity on show here. I hope I'm wrong and if I am I aplogise. But I'm not seeing much evidence to the contrary. If they are as I suspect, then for the welfare of the club members need to press hard for their expulsion

Bill Hamilton

Reserve Grader
Maybe that’s just me being cynical but I don’t see why they couldn’t have continued to exist as a supporter organisation? I mean silvertails does
Maybe you are , maybe your not, don't know, but the Angels did heaps for the club, I found this post from Lulubelle that probably expresses what they did for the club, they didn't leave they got punted by Penn;

https://silvertails.net/threads/wendy-harmer.47871/#post-755734

The erosion of iconic club symbols (eg lottoland), sacking of legends, alienating ex players, getting rid of an organisation such as the Angels, because basically they were not in your control, and finally the utter, utter basketcase this club has become all happened under the Penn's watch and because of the Penn's.

Last edited:

tookey

First Grader
I believe that they were responsible for getting Kaspersky on board as a sponsor The lifted the profile of the club and created a lot of good will
Right. So did that good will get us anything?
They helped get Max to sponsor the club

Eagles Angels

August 6 ·
Each year I post this so the Angels will not be forgotten for their role in starting Women In League.

Thank you Eagles Angels!

Nov 2001 the Sea Eagles were in dire straits with the Northern Eagles debacle. Wendy Harmer and Sarah Murdoch got together other high profile female supporters on the northern beaches and organised a fundraiser at the Manly Leagues Club raising $80k but more importantly attracting the eye of Max Delmege who came on board as the major sponsor. Ian Thompson was then the CEO. He along with this group of girls saved the Manly club. The next day the late Daily Telegraph Sport Journo Peter Frilingos referred to these girls as the ‘Eagles Angels’ and the name stuck.

2002 -The Manly club were the first to realise the importance of marketing to women. They developed a female only lounge. They were the first to create a female jersey designed then by Collette Dinnigan. They attracted their own sponsor Adecco, adding financial success to the clubs growing fortunes and on field success. Each year new Angels were inducted into this amazing group of women. They organised fundraisers for charities and for the club.

In 2005 Domayne came on board as their major sponsor and decorated the lounge with a chandelier and Florence Broadhurst wallpaper. One evening Katie Page Domayne’s CEO came to the lounge along with David Gallop the then NRL boss. Katie's comment to David ‘The NRL has to do something for women. This is fantastic!’ Wendy shared ideas with the NRL as to what sort of activities the Angels did for the club and how it could work for other clubs. From this the NRL Women in League was born in 2006 and is still going strong to this day. The Angels stopped existing after Dec 2014.

I just thought it was important people recognised the importance of these women to the Women in League round. They are the most amazing inspiring group of women you could ever meet. They all love Manly passionately and worked (unpaid) helping to promote the club and Women in League and adding hundreds of thousands of dollars to the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

Below are the names of the Eagles Angels.

Wendy Harmer
Sarah Murdoch
Kerri Pottharst
Layne Beachley
Nici Andronicus
Shelley Taylor Smith
Louise Sauvage
Shelley Oates Wilding
Debbie Watson
Zali Steggall
Annie Sargeant
Naomi Flood
Melinda Gainsford Taylor
Melissa Femia
Brooke Hanson
Amy O’Mara
Laura Enever
Sarah Peattie
Tracey Spicer
Tracy Bevan
Jenny Owens
Jean Hay
Maryanne Fogarty
Krystal Barter

Thank you Eagles Angels to your contribution for Women In League. Thank you to their sponsors – Adecco, Domayne, Westfield Warringah Mall and Lavazza.

https://www.facebook.com/eaglesangelswomeninleague/

http://www.kerripottharst.com/Partnership/Community

Last edited:

tookey

First Grader
Thanks for providing that. Seems they did a lot early on but it doesn’t really clarify beyond some very general statements anything after delmege. I can’t find them as a registered charity and I’ve actually been quite impressed with things like renaming brookie for a game day to support the Jane Mcgrath foundation.

Personally I’d prefer any money to go into junior league or straight into charities rather than into paying for a box. I think if you have a high profile and you enjoy something then you have a duty to contribute to it not just cause you get to hang out in a box on game day.

Maybe that’s just me being cynical but I don’t see why they couldn’t have continued to exist as a supporter organisation? I mean silvertails does
They raised over $500k for the club in sponsorships which entitles them to a free box at the game

davohan123

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
That’s a pretty damn impressive list of women who did a lot for the club that the Penn’s threw in the trash can.
And this is a perfect example
Our culture is dead
Penn and co really have destroyed it. This is the biggest issue with our club right now, the manly we all love and admire is dead and only getting worse, self interest and political agendas have taken over.

Wendy Harmer now supports the Warriors. Very sad as she was all Manly for many years.

And this is so sad to see she was so very vocal and always was a very public supporter of the club in the media.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Legit question but what did the eagles angels do? Other than a group of high profile women hanging out in a box on game day.

I’m genuinely asking the question. I’ve never really seen a straight answer
Eagles Angels were active in promoting Manly through their own networks, securing Sponsors like Kaspersky and TPAs.
Kaspersky actually pulled their sponsorship renewal when Mary was fired by Penn as she was the one who sourced them :nod:

'Hanging out in Corporate Boxes' is exactly what Beaver and Mark Bryant do as part of their Sponsors liason.

lurker

Beaver lover
Eagles Angels were active in promoting Manly through their own networks, securing Sponsors like Kaspersky and TPAs.
Kaspersky actually pulled their sponsorship renewal when Mary was fired by Penn as she was the one who sourced them :nod:

'Hanging out in Corporate Boxes' is exactly what Beaver and Mark Bryant do as part of their Sponsors liason.
Not sure why you disagreed. I didn’t actually pose a position I asked a question. Wasn’t Mary an employee?

I was a teenager in the early 2000’s and wasn’t as aware of the politics of the club so I was just asking some questions.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
@Mitch here’s my question preferably to Mr Penn
When will our manager stop being so stubborn and contact Des Hasler to rebuild the football business he did it once after the northern eagles debacle.

When will our manager stop being so stubborn and contact Des Hasler to rebuild the football business he did it once after the northern eagles debacle.
Has De$ ever publicly expressed interest in the position? I know Toovey has put his hand up. What makes you certain that De$ would even come here. Not taking a dig at you this morning. Just asking.

Mitch

Bencher

I think you're right mate. All options need to be explored at this stage. I don't think Scott will be there this evening but I would assume Lyall will.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
I think you're right mate. All options need to be explored at this stage. I don't think Scott will be there this evening but I would assume Lyall will.
thanks Mitch
Put it this way. Which coaching appointment is going to transform in to the most memberships being renewed or new memberships being purchased someone like hasler or tooves or Cartwright?

Pretty simple if Penn wants to put less money in he would choose hasler or toovey.

niccipops

un echidna spillo mia bevanda
Premium Member
@Mitch along the lines of what @Budgewoi Eagle was talking about, I'd like to ask what the club is doing to mend bridges with former coaches and players to restore old wounds and get them re-involved with the club. Getting Matt Ballin on board is a positive step but there's much more healing to do. I know it goes both ways with Des as the way he left let everyone down. The treatment of Tooves was incredibly wrong and all fans would love to have the guy back on board and from all reports he'd love to be there. The club would gain a lot of respect if they appointed Tooves in some capacity. Stubborness needs to go out the window if they're serious about getting the culture of Manly back on track.
II think what they tigpies did with Benji and Farah was a great move in mending old wounds. Brought back two old fan favourites to end their careers where they started. I know we don't have current old players that could strap on the boots but if bridges were mended with ex-players it would be a step in the right direction.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Not sure why you disagreed. I didn’t actually pose a position I asked a question. Wasn’t Mary an employee?

I was a teenager in the early 2000’s and wasn’t as aware of the politics of the club so I was just asking some questions.
Simple, I disagreed with your opinion below
lurker said:
Other than a group of high profile women hanging out in a box on game day..

The hardest thing in sports is to source sponsors, especially in low profile sport like league.

That group of women were pioneers in Oz sports to form an unpaid lobby group to resurrect Manly from the Northern Eagles joint venture :angel:

Since Kaspersky pulled out, Manly have only sourced Coco Joy and Lottoland as major sponsors.
Former had to be sued to honour their sponsorship and the latter has been barred by governments from operating in Oz :cool:

I don't believe that the Members Council could address Penn Sports saw that cutting ties with the Football Club and the Eagles Angels.

It was merely a takeover attempt to gain 100% control of all the Franchise shares.

Recent ZtC articles have the Franchise acknowledging the Football Club, only as more games need to be moved from Brookie to balance the books :nerd:

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Simple, I disagreed with your opinion below

The hardest thing in sports is to source sponsors, especially in low profile sport like league.

That group of women were pioneers in Oz sports to form an unpaid lobby group to resurrect Manly from the Northern Eagles joint venture :angel:

Since Kaspersky pulled out, Manly have only sourced Coco Joy and Lottoland as major sponsors.
Former had to be sued to honour their sponsorship and the latter has been barred by governments from operating in Oz :cool:

I don't believe that the Members Council could address Penn Sports saw that cutting ties with the Football Club and the Eagles Angels.

It was merely a takeover attempt to gain 100% control of all the Franchise shares.

Recent ZtC articles have the Franchise acknowledging the Football Club, only as more games need to be moved from Brookie to balance the books :nerd:

Yep, ... what price would you put on Harmer, Murdock, Beachley, Sargeant, Andronicus et al all on the media talking Manly up.... those girls were a PR goldmine when the fastest growing sector of fan involvement in RL was women ...

Incredably stupid, short sighted, political vindictiveness to snub and disenfranchise them ..... actually it was criminal insanity ...

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Yep, ... what price would you put on Harmer, Murdock, Beachley, Sargeant, Andronicus et al all on the media talking Manly up.... those girls were a PR goldmine when the fastest growing sector of fan involvement in RL was women ...

Incredably stupid, short sighted, political vindictiveness to snub and disenfranchise them ..... actually it was criminal insanity ...

One of the dumbest decisions ever made!!

FULL STOP

davohan123

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
One of the dumbest decisions ever made!!

FULL STOP
Can you imagine all them, plus Matt s and Adam peacock from fox sports both who are manly fans involved in someway at the club from a media stance point over this year ..would at least have someone fighting back the negative media but none have been involved in the club at all.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
14 8 6 60 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18
13 7 6 -55 18