Matt Lodge

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Am I missing something, or didn't AFB (a pregnant woman basher) pull a similar contract stunt with Manly? Warriors seem quick to judge here.
Lodge, anyway sounds like more trouble than he is worth. But sounds like he is likely to end up here unfortunately.

Last edited:
Am I missing something, or didn't AFB (a pregnant woman basher) pull a similar contract stunt with Manly? Warriors seem quick to judge here.
That was post season at least and Addin wasn’t pulling out of games coz he couldn’t be bothered , but Brown had been illegally speaking to him whilst still under contract and put a dollar figure in front of him

Tbh I didn’t shed a tear when AFB or Walker announced they were going, found them hard to support

A no-dickhead policy for Manly is a no-brainer because a dickhead can cause issues with fellow players, ultimately damage morale, not to mention turn off fans and discourage sponsors.

As to Lodge - if he had done in Sydney what he did in New York he would have got a couple of years, no risk. I think there's a case for lifetime bans from NRL for certain indiscretions and Lodge's could easily have qualified. Could he change? He was aged 20 at the time.
From memory he got back in because Greenberg looked him in the eye? Ridiculous, pathetic.

As for comparison with AFB - he got a prison sentence (suspended) for assaulting his pregnant girlfriend. He was aged 19 at the time. Plenty were disgusted and outraged when we sign him. Others disgusted but a bit less outraged and prepared to tolerate him if he could add to the team (which he obviously did).

One thing is sure, if Manly did sign Lodge they'll need a massive PR campaign to justify to fans and sponsors why he deserves to wear our famous colours. Some won’t be persuaded, personally I wouldn’t blame them.

(Ps we've already got a couple of players who played hardball to get out of contracts at other clubs)

A no-dickhead policy for Manly is a no-brainer because a dickhead can cause issues with fellow players, ultimately damage morale, not to mention turn off fans and discourage sponsors.

As to Lodge - if he had done in Sydney what he did in New York he would have got a couple of years, no risk. I think there's a case for lifetime bans from NRL for certain indiscretions and Lodge's could easily have qualified. Could he change? He was aged 20 at the time.
From memory he got back in because Greenberg looked him in the eye? Ridiculous, pathetic.

As for comparison with AFB - he got a prison sentence (suspended) for assaulting his pregnant girlfriend. He was aged 19 at the time. Plenty were disgusted and outraged when we sign him. Others disgusted but a bit less outraged and prepared to tolerate him if he could add to the team (which he obviously did).

One thing is sure, if Manly did sign Lodge they'll need a massive PR campaign to justify to fans and sponsors why he deserves to wear our famous colours. Some won’t be persuaded, personally I wouldn’t blame them.

(Ps we've already got a couple of players who played hardball to get out of contracts at other clubs)
The problem with Lodge is that he’s still a d…head on the field.Penalties/6 agains are a big reason Manly are in the position they’re in.And as you said,he’s not the type of character Manly or anyone needs really,around a club.

It was interesting in that article to see that stephen moses is his manager.

I remember the nrl patting themselves on their backs about how tough they were on managers by de-registering Issac moses.

so they de-register him, he hires his cousin who does the same job and works at the company owned by.... Isaac Moses.

Pretty tough stuff, Greenburg.

Off field incidents aside, I have seen nothing from him on the football field to suggest he is a worthwhile signing for us

I see this is disagreeable but can someone please explain what he would provide to our club that we don't already have? (or wouldn't get with up and coming players on similar coin)

I see this is disagreeable but can someone please explain what he would provide to our club that we don't already have? (or wouldn't get with up and coming players on similar coin)
We don't have power forwards consistently making good metres. It's just not our game plan, but you still need to to be able to revert to that simple strategy at times during a game or a season. If Paseka wasn't hurt and Marty could recover (from illness or injury or whatever) it might be different. Maybe the club knows more about their immediate health prognosis than we do?

We don't have power forwards consistently making good metres. It's just not our game plan, but you still need to to be able to revert to that simple strategy at times during a game or a season. If Paseka wasn't hurt and Marty could recover (from illness or injury or whatever) it might be different. Maybe the club knows more about their immediate health prognosis than we do?
Yep and like all health issues, if you treat it with the wrong medication, you can make the problem worse, all things Toxic should be labeled that way, caveat emptor.

I am not a fan of the signing due to his history and possible negative influence on the team, however the guy is a solid metre-eater. 140 metres averaged this year is better than anything our current pack is dishing up. Apart from Aloiai, none of our props are consistently getting above 100 m

Fair enough. Watching him play 5 games for the Warriors last year and get suspended 3 times including the final game where he gave the crowd the fingers etc confirmed all I want to know about him as a person. To then message the coach during the week and tell him youre not playing is piss weak, can’t move his family to NZ but was happy to use them to get out of Brisbane coz daddy was there.

My best mate, loyal Warriors fan since 1995, hasn’t watched a second of their games since Lodge joined the club.
Again totally accept your view and you have a great point. I dont like this business of players swapping clubs mid year - I think it is disgusting. I also agree that he plays on the edge and could be a problem. I also just guess that Des' really strongarm coaching strategy will bring him in line. Again I am relying on Des and the club to do their due diligence to see what sort of a person he is off the field and what sort of clubman he is. Leaving the Warriors doesn't give me great confidence as per a good clubman but the media is saying this has been boiling away now for 6 months and been on their radar with them knowing he might leave. So the selfish Manly fan in me sees an opportunity. We get screwed enough with the refs and with other things including the Gallop treatment of Snake so if we can finally have a small win and make our squad better on the field and he checks out as now being a decent human... I am all for it. Again besides Aloiai (and Paseka when he actually has a dig) - our props are very very ordinary

I am not a fan of the signing due to his history and possible negative influence on the team, however the guy is a solid metre-eater. 140 metres averaged this year is better than anything our current pack is dishing up. Apart from Aloiai, none of our props are consistently getting above 100 m
Absolutely spot on... he is far better than anything we have not named Aloiai and Paseka (in some games)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6