Post-Game Discussion Manly v Titans [Round 6, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Titans
26 4 Pines Park
16 Apr 2022 17:30
80th minute

Match Stats

The error count wasn’t high, 7 all game, so obviously it is because they got continual penalties as well as 6 agains and getting the ball back after scoring.

The 3 tries they scored in the 2nd half, one was created by lazy defence, the others were off the back of last tackle kicks from memory

Having less available players for the back end of the game saved us ? Interesting theory considering a bloke like Davey ended up well over his normal minute count but kept on going

The current game is a momentum based game, we had it in the first half due to them making plenty of errors and having good field position, in the 2nd half they got the running of things

You are correct that effort is nowhere near the top teams, toss Tom, Schuster and Taupau back into the lineup and we may be talking about that game differently
Anyways onwards and upwards. Hopefully our boys learn from it.

Really looking forward to seeing our boys up against the Sharks. There a bit better again then the Tits. And we were good enough to blow them away in 40 mins.

There is lots to like.

But definately going to need effort for 80 next week.

Bit hard to blame him for the dropped ball. He was out cold after slamming his head on the ground. The defensive issue I agree with.
If it was a one-off I'd agree, but we see that error while carrying up the ball every week. I've also noticed he is often getting caught upright turning into the tackle and getting his ball carrying arm pushed up above his head, where he loses a certain amount of control. That was a part of the reason I'm sure he attempted that insane offload first hit up in the wet against the doggies. I think he needs to find a better way to drop his centre of gravity and get to his belly for a quick play the ball. I think opposition coaches know this and target it, contributing to this particular type of error in his game.

A good win in the end, Dropped there intensity in the 2nd half , Got the right decision’s from the video ref cause that referee wasn’t giving Manly a fair go in that department
Slow improvement very week so just need to keep it up for 80 mins

Anyways onwards and upwards. Hopefully our boys learn from it.

Really looking forward to seeing our boys up against the Sharks. There a bit better again then the Tits. And we were good enough to blow them away in 40 mins.

There is lots to like.

But definately going to need effort for 80 next week.
I would say the Sharks are quite a bit better than the Titans. So we definitely need to lift our game, hopefully get some fair calls by the ref, play the full 80 and we are in with a chance.

What do we do with Keppie?

Some brilliant hard front on hits as always... but, lazy inside covering defence AGAIN and another dropped ball in attacking position when we finally got it back after being under pressure. It's frustrating to watch the same problems in his game repeated ad nauseam.

Try holding onto your beer if you smash your head on the floor and get knocked out.
Absolutely stupid comment on that lost ball - he was out cold.

You will get your wish thou as he will not be allowed to play under concussion protocols in 5 days.

Try holding onto your beer if you smash your head on the floor and get knocked out.
Absolutely stupid comment on that lost ball - he was out cold.

You will get your wish thou as he will not be allowed to play under concussion protocols in 5 days.
You can see my follow up response to this argument just a few posts up above. I wont repeat it here. Cheers.

Happy with our first half, very slick, left side dangerous with lotta players in motion doing their job. Whilst right side was a Haumole show, I mean my God, what a player we have. Could've put 40 on them in that first half.

Second half felt like an adrenaline dump with a lot of scrappy footy and a lot of sloppy piggyback penalties. These piggyback penalties we give haven't hurt us in the last few weeks that much but they are numbering up and once we vrs a top team, we will get exposed. We need to stop that. Messes our field possession and puts us on the backfoot immensely. And I hate to say it, but Jake is the number one perpetrator.

Foz is in some fine form at the moment, don't know how this Schuster to 6 transition is going to happen and what Foz's contract will look like. He just looks so solid and happy playing well. 4 IN A ROW, EVERYONE ENJOY, AND GOOOOOO MANLLYYYYYYY!!!!!

Next 2 weeks are HUGE. Done our flat track bullying, built confidence and combinations, won 4 in a row. Still scrappy but we can see where our trajectory is against these top teams again. See if we've learnt and improved from Rnd 1 and 2 defeats. Need us to win atleast ONE minimum in the next two.

smith-todd-head-shot.png

Todd Smith
Referee​

Todd smith.

Great, just when we finally got all the smith's out of the refereeing ranks.

edit: Am I missing something with Keppie? When some are lambasting him for that dropped ball...wasn't it because he was basically knocked unconscious? I get the inside defence one but cracking yer noggin' on the turf then dropping the ball I can live with.

Just a quick thought. Was burbo available at the end of the game there because we had 3 HIASs, being croker, koula, and keppie. I was at the game so not sure if the commentators mentioned it.
Probably not, as Koula wouldn’t have been officially ruled out by the doc in that timeframe

By the way with the Keppie drop he virtually had no control of the ball as soon as he got it... if you check out the replay it is bobbling around everywhere from the get go and yes obviously the head into the ground eventually caused the loss but every game bar none he has a loose carry and does not cover off on the inside... maybe last night there was a defence in both situations because I think with the try where he was too late coming across - maybe Aloiai or someone inside had made a bad defensive read and committed to a tackle going in to help instead of trusting the inside defender (I would have to go back and check when there was already a tackler involved so we had two defenders on the same man) but each week you see Keppie clutching at nothing when defending outside in. He just always seems slow to react.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8