Post-Game Discussion Manly v Titans [Round 6, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Titans
26 4 Pines Park
16 Apr 2022 17:30
80th minute

Match Stats

Seemd to be a few occasions where his supports were not where he wanted them to be. With a new centre, pretty much new 2nd rower in Davey and a new fullback I suppose a bit of disorganisation was exposed at times. I didn't see it as DCE not running well (but that's just me!!)
I suppose it depends on what we see. DCE is a link man, support player but not a ball player and runs mostly off others , I thought his first half was pretty good, kicked well, didnt overplay it too much and played to his strengths. Last few weeks players outside can expect ball earlier

The second half he was the hardest working player on the field and started well but may have lost his thinking hat about 50 minutes in , with quite a few poor decisions and caught on 5th so many times i had to sharpen my pencil

Foran stepped up in the second half to fill the void in that department pretty well

The team played well in the first half, everyone played a good game. They settled in the second and tried to make the second half easy, as a result it got way harder.in the end we got dragged into a scramble game that should have been above us. We are better than that

I watched a replay of the 2nd half. It turned into a real non stop energy sapping affair and we had to do a lot of defending. The injuries played havoc with our continuity. A couple of poor missed tackles was disappointing as well as some poor confused options when attacking. They seemed to get a lot going their way and Holbrook is kidding about Hamole first try. Clutching at straws mate what about Saab's bulls**t disallowed try then. The bunker is a joke.

Was at the game and haven’t seen the replay. But when we got the penalty to take us 8 clear why wasn’t the Titans bloke put in the bin? It was a blatant professional foul when we were in a try scoring position.

Two from two without Turbo. Short turn around against a good Sharks outfit.

The Titans did what they are capable of in the second half luckily they didn't do it in the first half, otherwise it would have been game over. We struggle against that fast style of play.

Looks like we might have some injury concerns.

Fingers crossed.
Will be interesting to see the sharks injury news, and they have a slightly shorter turnaround with a flight from Melbourne into the mix.

Might be wrong but did he do our game v dogs and let them get away with laying all over us.
If you are referring to our recent round 3 game against the Dogs then no. Ben Cummins was the referee that evening.

Did enough to get the win obviously , good i st half and credit for the side in hanging in there when the possession and momentum switched around in the 2 nd half but some attention to detail still required . Have no doubt that Turbo would have lifted the side and provided some critical impetus in the 2 nd half but some games still without him to come so have to find a way to still make amends . Probably need Schuster to return to the game day 17 just to add a bit of variety around the ruck area , like Keppie but just a little off this season and sure that Davey could easily adjust to a middle role if required . koula surely must have consolidated a starting centre spot now and very reassuring to have guys like Oloka - atu , D C E . Foz , Garrick and Walker in consistently good form recently. Not premiership standard yet but maybe not too far off it with a bit more improvement and the return of Turbo . .

The officiating, bunker and constant rule changing in this sport is an absolute farce Mick. Honestly the impacts the refs have on these contests are atrocious. The 6 again rule is a complete joke and completely subjective. There’s also no advantage with it. Ref blows one then a team knocks on in the play and it’s a turnover. That ref last night was one of the worst I’ve seen tbh. Might be wrong but did he do our game v dogs and let them get away with laying all over us.
Toatlly agree with your comment, "Honestly the impacts the refs have on these contests are atrocious. The 6 again rule is a complete joke and completely subjective." This ongoing attempt to make a fast play the ball allows referees to dictate game results, in many cases, on a virtual whim. I want to see less penalties, not referees "making it up as they go along" trying to police the ruck. How many times did The Titans get off their line last night without assistance of a penalty, followed by "six again" followed by a kick into the in-goal followed by another six tackles? This isn't football IMO - just referee manufactured "excitement" for the viewer. There is little or no latitude given to good defense at present. It's way too easy for referees to call, "held down" or "inside the ten" on a whim. This leads to accusations of bias game after game. This kind of refereeing is what Manly has copped two weeks in a row, both at Newcastle and at home. Instead of referees calling "dominant" or "held", perhaps it's time to time call a three or four count to release the held player or else a penalty. This MIGHT bring in some measure of consistency.

And the crowd looked amazing as well
It sure did, but what has changed in the OH &S manual that doesn’t require the “safety corridors” or whatever they were called from before?
Not that l’m complaining as they looked ridiculous but would anyone know what’s changed?

The 'six again' was introduced to replace giving a penalty. But if you compare the number of 'six agains' given now, its way way more than the number of penalties we used to see.

The referees should only be giving a 'six again' where previously they gave a penalty. if it wasn't a penalty before 2020, then it shouldn't be a 'six again' call in 2022.

But, as usual, you ask the referee to come to your house to paint the window frames yellow. Instead you come home and find the whole side of the house is painted and its blue.

Last nights game was a top one. Biggest crowd at Brooky since September 19 and a cracking atmosphere as we finally got to see a game where it was dry and the footy was free flowing.

The Titans are a very dangerous team with strength especially in their back row and they have demonstrated a resilience in games this season.

I really loved our first half. We earned the right to attack them by getting out defence right in the first 20 minutes especially and four well constructed tries resulted. So good to see the old firm in DCE and Foran create their magic.

It really was a brutal game physically and our team in the second half really had to battle with 3 guys concussed, Aloia hurt his shoulder and Garrick has a corked thigh. They were all over us from the start of the 2nd half and when they closed the gap to 6 points with 16 minutes to go, you feared we would be run over as they had the weight of possession and territory. I thought Manly showed a lot of ticker in that last 15 minutes and hung in there to really earn that victory.

What was yet again so disappointing was the infuriating and inconsistent refereeing. GC got 6 penalties when we had them pinned in their own quarter. Easy outs for them too many times and I think we got 1 for the game. The six again thing again perplexes me when you see officials give them in clumps and ignore obvious attempts to slow the game down.

Manly need to watch their discipline as well. We cannot afford to let teams off the hook so easily when we have them pinned. We made it hard for ourselves at times by not getting last tackle options right and that is something that will improve.

I do like how our right side attack is developing. Oka and Koula are going to be a real weapon for us with Garrick on the wing and Tommy chiming in when he is fit. Their defence was decent as well.

The team is learning to win in other ways and this is a big part of the education especially for the younger guys and we have 2 guns to come back soon which will make us a lot more potent.

Big test next week against the Sharks who lost no friends in their defeat last night to the drizzle.

Was listening on the way home from Brookie. They will have a few in doubt I would say including finicane.

I don't think we came through all that unscathed last night either. Though we do at least have others to come back as replacements (Taupau, Harper), plus Ben Turbo looks like he's ready to go.

Unless you are Storm or Penrith, no team is allowed to attack with its defence, especially when the opposiiton is working upfield from its own try line. The referees will ping your defence every time for too quick off the line, inside the 10m, tackling with too much vigour.

And if the NRL has a 'tip sheet' on your team and players, your doomed to pinged for whatever is on it the next game no matter you do.

"Jake!, Jake!!, Jake!!!..... PENALTY!"

The only answer is to not be aggressive in defence. Which is a shame, because it may as well be NRL touch footy.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10