Game Day: Manly v Titans [Round 11, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yes. My venting is over. I am sure the boys will be filthy with themselves after that performance in front of their home crowd, especially after such a promising start to the game. We are playing cellar dwellers again next week. These are the games we should be winning.
I would think that this was the only match in the 11 we've played so far in which we were hot favourites.
I've been watching Manly play for around 60 years now and we often lose because of overconfidence.
Who expected us to beat Souffs, the Faders, Newcastle at Newcastle etc?
Most pundits believed we've be too mentally strong for the Titans, who usually give up points easily. They followed the script for our first two tries, giving us runaways. But the way both teams played was exactly the opposite to form. Losing the penalties, at home 9-5, didn't help. But the Titans have a good record against us, which is just one of the many strange traits about the NRL.

So...

wtf just happened?

Well besides...

Titans behind... titans receive 5 straight penalties

titans in front

manly get a penalty

Well said @Ryan and also the 5 day turnaround which probably added to their flatness. I agree some posts here are a tad unwarranted.

We can't be "up" every week and would prefer to have that loss now, than down the track when it really matters.

WHAT HE SAID, 100% agree..!!!!

Ever been too tired to eat?

That past Manly coach had plenty of excuses for bad performance, and we both watched plenty more bad performances follow.

DES doesn't do excuses.

With plenty of injured stars on the side line, we have watched a team of so called no names, play as one unified machine, tearing apart their more fancied counterparts.

Tonight the great coach specifically did not accept the four day turn around, for the lack of effort his team displayed.

Again. No excuses.

Change isn't easy. But as a team, as a club, as supporters.

We all need to change. And we need to harden up.

Winning is a habit...

Because the smaller pieces of Effort on Effort are the difference between winning and losing.

That effort doesn't just happen. It is only made when your body is bloody hurting, because it is a habit and because there is NO EXCUSES.

**** happens,this is life,you have some poor days mixed in with the good.If people folded like some on this site after poor days then jeez.....Amazing how some must get up after an average day in their life....You can't expect a footy side to perform at 100% every week,anyone who has actually worked a job that has a physical component in that job(apart from people sitting behind a computer/desk ) would understand how hard it is to maintain high energy levels.Cut these guys some slack for a poor game after going so well for half a season....Sorry if you are a keyboard warrior who thinks that is easy....

**** happens,this is life,you have some poor days mixed in with the good.If people folded like some on this site after poor days then jeez.....Amazing how some must get up after an average day in their life....You can't expect a footy side to perform at 100% every week,anyone who has actually worked a job that has a physical component in that job(apart from people sitting behind a computer/desk ) would understand how hard it is to maintain high energy levels.Cut these guys some slack for a poor game after going so well for half a season....Sorry if you are a keyboard warrior who thinks that is easy....
The best reponse our team can give is forget about tonight and show us a reponse against the panthers next Thursday night.
Des will not cop 2 weeks of the same stuff produced tonight.
If they are not up for next weeks game then we can really start asking questions of the squad.
But as the saying goes “ a week is a long time in footy”.
Hope the panthers become heavy favourites next week as that is when we play our best footy.

You said nothing about Magic Pudding @Ryan, nothing at all !? I find that hard to believe.:giggle:

I'll let The Pudding prove his own worth. I do feel his dropped ball changed the momentum of the game. They scored on the next set, and we were up 12-0

Sorry but got to disasgree. Thought walks was way better than last week. Did some good, some average but better.

Remember people 2 weeks from the promised land. Dce & TT back.

On tonights, think Taufua will find it hard to hold a spot. Parker miles in front take wing spot. What do you do with Elliott?

If you're going to drop Jorge (and I don't think he should be) then we'd be better off leaving Parker at centre and playing Elliot on the wing.

Parker has proven that he's a centre (for now. I think like Thommo he'll end up in the back row in a few years). But he's definitely NOT a winger.

Last edited:
From what I can gather, Kane was not able to impose himself on the game.

For mine it was more of a case that he didn't do it rather than not being able to. Especially from Marty and AFB, he got a fairly decent platform to work from, he just did nothing about it. And its not like the Tits were marking him close like they were Cust.

Last night against his old club and the side running second last (a side who he should know how to exploit), LG had the perfect opportunity to send the message to Des that he is the one who should be first choice as DCE's halves partner. He didn't do that.

Sounds like a good game to miss. Won't worry about watching the replay lol. Hate losing to the Titans. We always struggle against these guys for some reason. Hopefully the refs played no part.

Oh the refs played their part alright.....but they weren't responsible for us being as flat as we were.

We were never in it. Got two lucky tries against the run of play when titans were attacking our line.

Manly only got tackled 5 times in titans 20m attacking zone the whole game! Looked good at times when we ran hard through the middle and api was killing it out of dummy half, but kicking game gave us no field position or repeat sets, which was made worse but simple errors and giving away penalties.

Felt like we were just running out of our own end the whole game. Titans controlled the game way better, yes some lucky calls and bounce of the ball but forwards ran hard and defended well and Roberts kicking was good, plus they played that unpredictable style we struggle with.

Hope Walker fixes his defence cause he missed that easy one on one that started the rot, and doesn't stick to the structures some times, goes a bit rouge and runs out of the line or hangs back and arms grabs nothing

Totally agree mate, don't know what game some of them watched, maybe they are Parramatta supporters having a dig?

I
We were never in it. Got two lucky tries against the run of play when titans were attacking our line.

Manly only got tackled 5 times in titans 20m attacking zone the whole game! Looked good at times when we ran hard through the middle and api was killing it out of dummy half, but kicking game gave us no field position or repeat sets, which was made worse but simple errors and giving away penalties.

Felt like we were just running out of our own end the whole game. Titans controlled the game way better, yes some lucky calls and bounce of the ball but forwards ran hard and defended well and Roberts kicking was good, plus they played that unpredictable style we struggle with.

Hope Walker fixes his defence cause he missed that easy one on one that started the rot, and doesn't stick to the structures some times, goes a bit rouge and runs out of the line or hangs back and arms grabs nothing

Walker has always been a terrible defender so nothing has changed. If it’s not an arm grab he constantly shoots out of the line resulting in several tries against us the last few weeks. Unless this changes which is unlikely, there is no way there is a future in the maroon and white. Dessie will not have a bar of him.

Just one of those games in the wash up and obviously a combination of reasons for the below par result although a more helpful kicking game would no doubt have helped their cause . I guess just so many games that a side can get by with lacking quality players of the class of D C E and Tom Turbo [ who naturally can make a big difference ] and still expecting to continue to get an edge . Things can only get better ..

Oh they are giving it to us on Roar. Of course the Roosters didn't cop the same put down. There is no cause for alarm. This was expected of a team playing well above its weight. 5 day turn around obviously didn't help. We'll take them in the next match against the Titans. There are a few players I would be thinking of dropping. I'm not an Elgey fan. Clever but too vulnerable. Doesn't have the mongrel needed, whereas I think young Cust does. This side will get us into the finals when DCE and Tom T are back but they aren't a premiership contender this year. Next year with a few outstanding juniors coming through and maybe one or two experienced mongrel types and we'll be much closer.

I just love the words of our magical coach after that poor effort performance, when excuses for that loss are offered by the journos.

"Yeah No don't."

"Yeah No don't."

"You can make all kind of excuses, you can say the 4 day turn around from Sunday, but we still had opportunities where we could have won that game and we didnt"

Excuses for a lack of effort, don't wash with the one man that matters.

Last edited:
I feel your pain.

Now if the boys gave it their best and the tits were too good. I could cop that.

What's so disappointing, our boys just weren't hungry tonight.
Agreed, it's such a mental space game these days. You either turn up with your game face on or you don't. Makes you wonder with all the positive and complementary press we've received, it gone to their heads a bit.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6