Pre-Game Manly v Storm [Round 21, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

18 28
Suncorp Stadium
07 Aug 2021 07:35 PM

Team Lists

Interesting that Olam has scored so often against us - but he woudn't have been up against our new poster boy Harper.
Yeh what a matchup of contrasting styles, the crash dummy olam running through cement walls and Harper with his deceptive side stepping ability....both can tackle, but both WILL be tested.

Seen enough of both sides to form an opinion Manly at it's best has the better attack and Storm has the best defence....
The old theory of the best defence wins games, which is a train I've always been on 100%...but in the ultra fast modern game, just may be a bit more leniency and these 2 factors I feel have almost evened out...which makes for an interesting clash.
Good as Manly are and could be, to keep things realistic - Storm are by far still the benchmark in this competition and if Manly don't contain Smith and Grant through the middle, could well get blown off the park.
There is also a risk factor of breaking down the structured Storm defence that includes playing unconventional attack - offloads, 2nd phase ect, varied kicking game to have their wingers and fullback that bit nervous.
This would usually look fluent but against a robust defence who will likely get away with spoiling tactics and extra time in the wrestle, it's very hard for any attack to keep good shape and not lose timing which will effect execution.
This game is important but does not decide the premiership and what I personally would like to see, is Manly fight fire with fire and stand up not allowing the Storm to bully and intimidate....this and matching the middle of the field will make my Saturday night a win.
The Storm are breaking all kinds of records with their attack this season...records that have stood for 50+ years...some longer. I think they have better attack than us as well. Take Tommy out of the team and we'd be lucky to have scored 10 points against Cronulla. I'm glad he is our side but if Melbourne shut him down, we won't have a lot of points in us.

Storm's attack is not reliant on individuals breaking the line using speed, elusiveness, power etc (sorry @BOZO ) :)
It is based on their discipline, their organisation, always being in the right formations, and the ability of many of their players to pass well.
They have actually been a better attacking unit this year without the likes of Smith & Slater, and even without Pappenuyzen and Harry Potter for big chunks of the year

In many of the Storm's wins this year, I think other sides had lost the game before even setting foot on the field. Not many sides have been up for the challenge. The Eels were when they beat the Storm early in the season - a superb exhibition of wet weather footbball. In the last few months, the Rabbitohs, Roosters & Panthers have all been undermanned in their (bad) losses to the Storm.

I think we'll be mentally up for this game, but poise, patience & execution (plus maybe a little luck) will be essential for a win. We need to grab every scoring opportunity with both hands!

The Storm are breaking all kinds of records with their attack this season...records that have stood for 50+ years...some longer. I think they have better attack than us as well. Take Tommy out of the team and we'd be lucky to have scored 10 points against Cronulla. I'm glad he is our side but if Melbourne shut him down, we won't have a lot of points in us.
I agree with the shut down on Tom reducing scoring opportunities in a big way, but respectfully disagree in relation to the attack.
Storm are more about "building" in attack and from a purist style of rugby league, do this better than Manly as they break down the opposition through constant pressure and then cash in with a flurry of points.....Manly have a completely different skill set, creating unstructured tries from anywhere and at any time, I reckon Manly have more strike power in attack as its an attack that regardless what you practice at training, it does not cover these attacking attributes come game day.
In actual fact, much will depend on how lenient these refs are, "IF" Storm are allowed to smother the Manly attack and slow it down in a big way, that is my main concern.

Won " t quite reach S O O intensity but Manly will have to up their tempo to be in with a shot . Have to do their best to counter the Storm "s usual clinical play but Manly do have a strong pack and forward line up for this one so can be up for the challenge and even trouble the Storm "s mid field all going well . Sure that the Storm noticed a bit of defensive issues around Foz and Parker but hopefully will not be a major problem and still the marker and occasional quicker ruck adjustment . Don "t think that the Storm have a better side all round on paper and this Manly side definitely has the attacking ability to test any side . Just have to be on their game in all areas including a smart kicking game .

I agree with the shut down on Tom reducing scoring opportunities in a big way, but respectfully disagree in relation to the attack.
Storm are more about "building" in attack and from a purist style of rugby league, do this better than Manly as they break down the opposition through constant pressure and then cash in with a flurry of points.....Manly have a completely different skill set, creating unstructured tries from anywhere and at any time, I reckon Manly have more strike power in attack as its an attack that regardless what you practice at training, it does not cover these attacking attributes come game day.
In actual fact, much will depend on how lenient these refs are, "IF" Storm are allowed to smother the Manly attack and slow it down in a big way, that is my main concern.
Respect your opinion but if I could choose between Manly's 'unstructured tries from anywhere' and Melbourne's 'building in attack', I'd take Storm every day of the week. Reason being, that's the kind of attack that wins semi-finals and grand finals.

Storm's attack is not reliant on individuals breaking the line using speed, elusiveness, power etc (sorry @BOZO ) :)
It is based on their discipline, their organisation, always being in the right formations, and the ability of many of their players to pass well.
They have actually been a better attacking unit this year without the likes of Smith & Slater, and even without Pappenuyzen and Harry Potter for big chunks of the year
I done my post before looking at this and is very accurate and so true...the Storm are such a methodical, no mistake footy side and well oiled machine....still see the likes of Pap, Fox, Hughes and Grant dangerous individuals, but it is the "team" contribution, that is key to their pointscoring ability.

I think we can beat Melbourne this weekend; I don't think we will but I think we can. It'll be because they've won 16 on the trot and have to lose sooner or later.

But...

I don't give us a chance at beating them in a semi-final or GF. I think runs on the board beat potential more often than not. In the next couple of years, we could stick our nose in front but I don't think it's gonna happen over night. To go from losing 4 in a row badly to start the year, then dropping the odd game against lesser rans to suddenly challenging a record breaking juggernaut of the last 10-15 years...not gonna happen.

Respect your opinion but if I could choose between Manly's 'unstructured tries from anywhere' and Melbourne's 'building in attack', I'd take Storm every day of the week. Reason being, that's the kind of attack that wins semi-finals and grand finals.
In the past Snake - all day - every day....in this modern helter skelter type footy , I really see this as a leveler in these contrasting styles....and maybe bias mate, but love how Seaeagles are so dangerous from everywhere after a few dull years of clunky disjointed attack, more depth and fluid ball play and the addition of these gun backrowers either edge is also Massive...then there's only 1 Tom..
Sat nite will show the contrast and will be an interesting watch.
The thing that will give the Storm a big possible leg up is the officialling, not to cry about it being against Manly, but if the game is allowed to be slowed down to a snails pace, will definately suit the style of Storm....if it's more open, Manly will create more headaches than Melbournes defence has experienced in 2021

I done my post before looking at this and is very accurate and so true...the Storm are such a methodical, no mistake footy side and well oiled machine....still see the likes of Pap, Fox, Hughes and Grant dangerous individuals, but it is the "team" contribution, that is key to their pointscoring ability.

Absolutely Storm have dangerous individuals but very much rely on teamwork, from the times I've watched, anyway.
Just on the topic of attack - Manly's attack this year has been the most exciting we've had since the halcyon days of Snake Lyon & Co.
Just wonderful to watch, and so good to know we are a threat even from inside out own half.

I don't give us a chance at beating them in a semi-final or GF.
I give us a chance :)
We're in the middle of a decent run with injuries after what feels like several years of bad luck. If that keeps up, our teamwork and confidence will continue to develop, and Bellamy will be having increasing nightmares about Manly, no doubt in the world!!

I give us a chance :)
We're in the middle of a decent run with injuries after what feels like several years of bad luck. If that keeps up, our teamwork and confidence will continue to develop, and Bellamy will be having increasing nightmares about Manly, no doubt in the world!!
I'm with you Ser8 and for the very reasons you have made on these recent posts...however Snake is fair in summary, this Storm side is a juggernaut and have proven the most complete team by a good margin and ANY team that can beat them will have to create some Amazing unnorthodox attacking plays and flipside, make some Huge defensive plays...which I believe this Manly side can do, based on the flare shown, which still may well have more improvement to come....do they have that resolve and mental strength is also the test....I 100% think Manly can go all the way, but have been known for letting the emotional side make me a tad bias on occasions :wasntme:

I have not seen it that way my feathered friend
Players like Ado carr , Munster and .Brandon smith have crated havoc with their own X factor ability

X factor players have proven to screw all defensive lines at every level of the game

No real surprise where Storm's power is based. Up front.
Bromwich, Welch, Asofa-Solomana, Bromwich, Kaufusi, Finucane, Brandon Smith.
That is 7 players, each highly experienced, each a rep player, each has been part of Storm system for years.
Not to mention Harry Grant.
And yes @BOZO I agree Smith is a jack-in-the-box but in the main these are not brilliant attacking forwards such as Fifita, Kikau or even our own Schu, but in combination they are pretty bloody formidable and set the best platform in the NRL.

That is 7 players, each highly experienced, each a rep player, each has been part of Storm system for years.
And yes @BOZO I agree Smith is a jack-in-the-box but in the main these are not brilliant attacking forwards such as Fifita, Kikau or even our own Schu, but in combination they are pretty bloody formidable and set the best platform in the NRL.
Power to the X factor people !

I agree X factor Speed Strength and Skill Kills

I am sure Bellamy will have Turbo put to the ground as he passes. There is no way they will let him stay alive in a movement.
Probably right on that, could work in our favour though. Late tackles on Tom will see us march upfield on the back of cheap shot penalties.

Storm missing Solomana and Kaufusi suspended, will be a huge help for us. That's a lot of big go forward for them that they wont have.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4