Pre-Game Manly v Storm [Round 21, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

18 28
Suncorp Stadium
07 Aug 2021 07:35 PM

Team Lists

Reading some of this pro Storm crap is making me sick! This is a manly forum I don’t want to read about how good that cheating disgrace of a club is here! We know their record but who cares. They are beatable, heck the cows gave them a bloody good run!

Manly 13+ With a late flurry!

This storm team is well overdue for a fall and I’ve got a feeling we will really shell shock them in this one. Despite their strengths they also have weaknesses and we can exploit them. Iremia, reimas smith, Chris smith on their right edge. They’ve played good teams far off their best this year and have not hit a team like us yet imo. I hope we let the ball move again this week and really take it to them. Storm are also without some key payers in NAS, Hughes, Kaufusi, kamikabica. They are ripe for the picking. We def need to shift the focus away from Tom a bit tho as they’ll be all over him. Schu might be a key this weekend I think. Bring on Sat! F$&@ I hate Melb!!!!!

Dislike just that record the storm have with Gee not you personally.
It’s all good, I didn’t like it either, it’s why I gave your post of the officialdom the thumbs down, I was going to say something similar at the time, it just didn’t feel right to throw the thumbs down with no explanation as you stated it’s definitely not personal.

To be fair, that would be Storms usual win loss stats through a season.
The storms average win rate over their history is 67.4%
So they get a better win % of approx 13% under Gee
Our Average win rate is 55.8%
We cop a 15% worse win rate under Gee
Thats a 28% swing in their favour under Gee
Only statistics and not really relevant to Saturday, but thought I’d point it out as I’ve felt we dont get a fair rub under Gee

From the lowlife grubby mob that bought the wrestle and with it every bad and dangerous tackle in the book nothing would surprise me, even the refs tend to look the other way rather than face the wrath of Bellamy, you always expect something ugly from these grubs
I cannot imagine that there are many/any true Manly supporters that have anything positive to say about the Scum. Personally I detest everything that they stand for as a club. To me they represent the complete antithesis of what makes Manly great. Their whole culture is founded on rorting, lowlife grubbiness, cheating, corruption and collective ugliness in their playing style. They are due for a fall, and I hope that fall happens this weekend. **** the scum. Go Manly.

Interesting comparison. The Storm defeated the Sharks 40-14 earlier this year. Manly defeated the Sharks 40-22. If Manly hadn't clocked off and Turbo had stayed on those last two tries would probably not have been scored by the sharks and possibly Manly would have hit 50, Manly's defeat of a committed Shark outfit could have bettered the Storms effort. Doesn't mean that much but its an interesting comparison
I actually think they clocked off simply because they know they are up against Melbourne in less than 5 days. The last 20 minutes was a bit scary to watch because when teams put the cue in the rack like that, that is when injuries happen, not extra rest.
Thank goodness Turbo was on the bench by then.

NYEagle

Watched over the black dot last night
Good point was even if we lose the players will learn a lot from the match.
Just like when we got beat by them at Brookie, then went on to beat them 40 nil in the GF. They don't call Des a mad scientist for nothing, even as we speak he's hatching a devious plot to clinically break them down. Anyway, I'm confident on this one going our way. It's going to be trench warfare on Sat night, we need to summon our inner Steve Mattai !!

If the players that stepped up in the match V the drag queens play like that on Saturday, then with Turbo, Jurbo and DCE included we should roll them and end their run of wins ... Go Manly

Interesting comparison. The Storm defeated the Sharks 40-14 earlier this year. Manly defeated the Sharks 40-22. If Manly hadn't clocked off and Turbo had stayed on those last two tries would probably not have been scored by the sharks and possibly Manly would have hit 50, Manly's defeat of a committed Shark outfit could have bettered the Storms effort. Doesn't mean that much but its an interesting comparison
What it does mean is that we will rue our lapse if we miss out on top 4 by a couple of points differential!

What it does mean is that we will rue our lapse if we miss out on top 4 by a couple of points differential!
Been thinking about this very thing DWE, top 4, if we finish 4th we probably play Storm. And no doubt this will be a torrid match for both. Maybe finishing 5th may not be so bad, as we then play 8th and going on what I've seen from these sides we should romp home. Sure, people will say we get a second chance finishing 4th if we lose, but, usually these sort of games come with injuries. Whereas having a comfortable win from 5th and having winning momentum to me is more important.

Been thinking about this very thing DWE, top 4, if we finish 4th we probably play Storm. And no doubt this will be a torrid match for both. Maybe finishing 5th may not be so bad, as we then play 8th and going on what I've seen from these sides we should romp home. Sure, people will say we get a second chance finishing 4th if we lose, but, usually these sort of games come with injuries. Whereas having a comfortable win from 5th and having winning momentum to me is more important.

Suggested this earlier and got lampooned by some. Its a worthy thought.

These sorts of comparisons are fraught with danger. The Bulldogs beat the Dragons more comprehensively than we did but that doesn’t mean the Dogs are better or on par with us. Newcastle beat us and beat Canberra (who beat us) recently but I’d say we are ahead of both those sides in the premiership race.

the number of variables, especially across a period of months means two team’s performances against an opposition cannot be compared. Well they can be compared but it’s useless.

Teams in the top 4 have won premierships after losing in week 1. No team has won from outside the 4 since the top 8 system was introduced.

of course, records are made to be broken and you make a valid point but I think I still wanna see us make the 4. Odds of us winning the comp from either position are remote but the confidence and prestige that comes with a top 4 finish could be the makings of the new next few years when we probably have an even better window with the current crop a year older and wiser.

These sorts of comparisons are fraught with danger. The Bulldogs beat the Dragons more comprehensively than we did but that doesn’t mean the Dogs are better or on par with us. Newcastle beat us and beat Canberra (who beat us) recently but I’d say we are ahead of both those sides in the premiership race.

the number of variables, especially across a period of months means two team’s performances against an opposition cannot be compared. Well they can be compared but it’s useless.

As stated Snake I was only making an interesting comparison. I wasnt suggesting we should take too much notice of it, other than that Manly overall is keeping some pace with the Storm at least in attack. Storm are relentless and machine like. Manly may have an answer to that with its free flowing style. Will be interesting to see how they handle it. Penrith were slaughtered by the Storm recently, but then Penrith were without some key players comparable to Turbo and DCE at Manly. Otherwise I wonder if the Storm would have handled their flowing attack so easily. Saturday will tell us.

Suggested this earlier and got lampooned by some. Its a worthy thought.
A lot of people would be thinking the same, ideally, finishing 3rd is still possible and probably playing the panthers. As we have seen from Penrith, a few injuries and they fall quickly to the pack.

Teams in the top 4 have won premierships after losing in week 1. No team has won from outside the 4 since the top 8 system was introduced.

of course, records are made to be broken and you make a valid point but I think I still wanna see us make the 4. Odds of us winning the comp from either position are remote but the confidence and prestige that comes with a top 4 finish could be the makings of the new next few years when we probably have an even better window with the current crop a year older and wiser.
I hear what your saying Snake, "no team has won outside of the top 4" and that is true. But we seem to be in a new era now of the repeated 6 agains and whistle happy refs going off deluxe on the try lines with insulting so called high shot penalties. Once you get momentum in this new speeded up game that we now have it's hard to wrestle it back. And only the very best defensive sides can achieve this. So, what I'm saying is playing from 5th will not really hamper our chances.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8