Post-Game Discussion Manly v Bulldogs [Round 1, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Bulldogs
31 4 Pines Park
04 Mar 2023 15:00
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Great win, all of the middles including Jake, Paseka, Aloiai, Keppie and Bullemor were all fantastic. This was our biggest problem last year and it looks like Seibold has already looked to fix this. Crazy what a coach not living in the 80’s can do
Yeah Aloiai and paseka 2nd stints where outstanding. Bullemor as middle wow.
Olkalatu is class act origin ready.
Jake workhorse as usual.

Hopefully Schuster shows more than stuck on the left edge playing heavy and overloading with second man plays or lacking sharpness drifting to the right side(merely for variety)and not contributing an effective high quality sharp play.
My opinion.. you have got no idea.. how do expect Schuster to be doing anything other than what the coaching team ask of him.. he will be playing mostly on the left and doing the odd right hand side play JUST like Johns was instructed to do.. do you really think the players can just pick and choose where they want to play ( stand )..hahaha. seriously.... and you call yourself technical coach..

I dont even think your a Manly supporter as many others on here have called out before..

And your line today where you say "Manly.... before your statement" tells me a lot.. on here we are Manly so you think you would start your sentence with ..We...blah blah.. just my opinion but reading the multitude of posts you have up here for the last few years you provide nothing but negativity

My opinion.. you have got no idea.. hope do expect shuster to be doing anything other than what the coaching team put to him.. he will be playing mostly on the left and doing the odd fight hand side play JUST like Johns was instructed to do.. do you really think the players can just pick and choose where they want to play ( stand )..hahaha. seriously and you call yourself technical coach..

I dont even think your a Manly supporter as many others on here have called out before..

And your line today where you say "Manly.... before your statement" tells me a lot.. on here we are Manly so you think you would start your sentence with ..We...blah blah.. just my opinion but reading the multitude of posts you have up here for the last few years you provide nothing but negativity
Clearly supports another team , been sticking out like dogs balls for a while now.

Awesome win after 7 long months and a great way to start the season. Credit to Seibs and coaching staff for such an improvement in their defence, playing as a team and looking happy together.

Other than Mahoney, the dogs were unexpectedly poor and Kikau was completely outplayed.

So good to be in a full house at Brookie on a sunny afternoon and a great atmosphere (although I thought the Manly chants were surprisingly few and far between). The only negative was the players not coming around the fence to see us waiting fans, which has always been a Brookie tradition after a win?!

Last edited:
Anyone else on the hill today? The pyrotechnics were not pleasant. It was hot as a mofo and the flames added to the discomfort. Save the flames for late July. You can feel the heat at the back of the hill. A water fountain or dry ice cannons would be preferable on a day like today.
Sounds like you’d prefer to chill on the hill Will.

I wasn't all that impressed by DCE today or the attack in general, it was very poor to watch and a yawn.

In fairness hot exhausting conditions and first game nerves played its part but the only impressive element out of the game was the unity and starch in the defence that kept at it all game(shows good attitude and fitness levels) even in the heat, but it really wasn't tested by a very weak predictable opposition.

Manly look good when playing short, flat, direct first man plays and using the second man depth plays as the option play. Playing more off the front foot and rolling forward is when we look good, i thought Croker(attacking wise) was disappointing also which didn't help with the sharpness out of the ruck. You can get away with steady play from the ruck when you have the likes of Foran and Walker offering attacking penetration and variety but today his limitations got showed up and made it more difficult for the lack of penetration style attack Cooper and DCE offer.

Having both Cooper and DCE who don't take the line on often will be showed up against quality opposition and the points wont flow unless we win the battle in the middle with the points coming off the back of winning the grind.

Was a boring game to watch and a struggle to stay interested throughout but i did love the effort on display which is good to see.
Gee, tough marker.

I thought Koula was great defensively today as well. He didn't get a lot of opportunity with the ball, There was no change for the dogs down that side and last season it was a weakness for us. Was the Fox playing? (tongue in cheek)
I really expected the fox to make life hell for tippytoes today along with plenty of high stuff from Burton but neither eventuated, imo tippytoes is our Achilles heel, he seems completely lost in defence at times but the dogs didn't seem to test him out much today

Big wrap to the forward pack. They were immense and the main factor in us winning. Paseka started slow but had a great second stint, ran for 175m, broke 3 tackles, big year coming for him. He knows it. Bullemore a standout, showing he belongs in the middle, leg speed around the ruck was key, he will have a breakout year. Wonder if he deserves to start at 13 or if we should keep him as bench impact.

Oshay, Jake, Smole were all crushing in defence, just set the tone with their physicality and is why we wore the doggies pack down. Kelma had a solid club debut as well, will improve week to week. Keppie was ok. Forward pack just played really well as a unit, very impressed! Week to week improvements and add Villiami Fifita onto the bench and we are dangerrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Great to start the season off so strong, not used to this so gotta take it in. Important 2 points, no injuries, come off the bye fresh and on top of the table, welcome back Schu and then cook Parra in another packed out Brooky. Things going well!

Our attack was clunky for most of the game but expected being round 1. Tries we scored were scrappy, but doesn't mean we didn't deserve the scoreline, the scoreline reflected how dominant we were in physicality and especially defence. We just bullied them for most of the match and had good luck come when our chances arose. Good thing is defence looks great and so therefore the attack will come itself, we got the strike players to score points.

Schuster coming back adds more creativity and flair and we do need GCKT to bring more pace and threat off the mark. That's what will take us to the next level. I'm trusting Seibs and Flanno have an entry plan in place for GCKT's emergence. Coz what we showed this game lets us know we are capable of playing finals footy, a genuine 9 takes us to the next level. Very excited for what's to come this year.

Our attack was clunky for most of the game but expected being round 1. Tries we scored were scrappy, but doesn't mean we didn't deserve the scoreline, the scoreline reflected how dominant we were in physicality and especially defence. We just bullied them for most of the match and had good luck come when our chances arose. Good thing is defence looks great and so therefore the attack will come itself, we got the strike players to score points.

Schuster coming back adds more creativity and flair and we do need GCKT to bring more pace and threat off the mark. That's what will take us to the next level. I'm trusting Seibs and Flanno have an entry plan in place for GCKT's emergence. Coz what we showed this game lets us know we are capable of playing finals footy, a genuine 9 takes us to the next level. Very excited for what's to come this year.
I agree it was a very very good start.

There's a couple of changes I'd like to see over time. Until saab returns id like to see weekes on the wing for tiptoes and gordo at 14.

Imagine the frog playing the first 25-30 mins doing all the hard work he does. Then gordo coming on at the 25-30 min mark and carving it up when fatigue sets in. Think ballin and lestranger combo of 2008-2009

Great to hear the victory song again (learn the words Aloiai, lol)

Missing ole Jorge thumping away on a door in the background!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8