Post-Game Discussion Manly v Bulldogs [Round 1, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Bulldogs
31 4 Pines Park
04 Mar 2023 15:00
80:00 minute

Match Stats

First Rd One in nine ten years, solid defensive effort, Turbo comes through unscathed & some people on here (at least one :)) are still unhappy!

If Schuster had played today, I suggest he would have set up some scoring opportunities and the winning margin would have been bigger.

There were some very good individual performances. For example, Bullemor's form should see him selected in the 17 for some time - maybe even as starting lock

My immediate concern is whether next week's bye will arrest or aid momentum for the side.

Last edited:
That defensive effort by our middle was up there with the mid 90's, a bit disjointed in attack but we'll gel soon enough.
If our defence and ruck control are consistent this year, I can really see a top 6 this year.
I don't care for a making up the numbers top 8 result even if viewed from the perspective of "it is an improvement on last year and a 3-5yr plan process"

Too many coaches get comfortable with the long term planning approach, we need to build systems that are effective and work more years than not should be the goal.

Having a large juniors base like some clubs have in some respects allows a long term planning view of succession but other clubs like Manly really need to nail down what is effective and do it better than other clubs for success along with high quality targetted scouting/recruiting.

That is what has separated the Storm from the rest over the last 15yrs or so, they nail down what is effective, what numbers matter, what running lines are required, they understand the specifics to effectiveness and make players accountable.

The Roosters tend to turn around performance from one year to the next reasonably quickly also with targetted big spending purchases and the best power forwards and backs coming through the ranks (and yes money behind it to assist in enticing the best young players to stay)

First Rd One in nine years, solid defensive effort, Turbo comes through unscathed & some people on here (at least one :)) are still unhappy!

If Schuster had played today, I suggest he would have set up some scoring opportunities and the winning margin would have been bigger.

There were some very good individual performances. For example, Bullemor's form should see him selected in the 17 for some time - maybe even as starting lock

My immediate concern is whether next week's bye will arrest or aid momentum for the side.
I feel like the bye was part of why we played the way we played. There was no thought of next week, they left everything on the field. We have the likes of Jurbo and Froggy who leave nothing in the tank every week but today we had more of the team following their example. In a perfect world I'd prefer we had the bye post origin but I think having it next week will help the team reaffirm the things that they're working on.

I thought DCE had a great game considering he didn't play any trials. Yes a little clunky but there was no sideways running or in circles like previous years. He was always pushing up and in support hence 3 tries today. Hopefully the new coaching staff have made him aware of this. We'll see in future games.

Loved it, Bullemor finally got a decent chance to shine
The starch in the defence was outstanding,
Certainly took the gas out of the dogs attack.
Also seemed like they were finally given permission to kick for repeat sets
Manly forever 👊
Yeah he looks good.

Missed the game, had to work. How did Aloiai go? Stat's showed he played ok. Are the haters still going to hate? Do we still need to lance the 7 for the sake of team harmony?

I feel like the bye was part of why we played the way we played. There was no thought of next week, they left everything on the field. We have the likes of Jurbo and Froggy who leave nothing in the tank every week but today we had more of the team following their example. In a perfect world I'd prefer we had the bye post origin but I think having it next week will help the team reaffirm the things that they're working on.
Really? I felt like we played pretty conservatively.

If the attack doesn't click, evolve and improve it's output efficiency the defence will lose it's steal eventually from lacking a reward for their efforts.

Today against a weak opposition the good starch in our defensive efforts was enough to come over the top, when Manly get punished points wise after failing in attack ourselves that is when we will see if the mental defensive toughness is real or not.
Could you put a fair bit down to the rust Tom showed today? Clearly his timing, passing etc with those sweep plays was well off.

When he naturally improves, so will the attack.

What an inspired sub change by Sieb's, putting on Paseka for his 2nd stint...wow..talk about a smash and grab, that hit-up up skittled em. More of the same please Tent.
Yep, I'm not sure what was going on in the 1st half, I thought he was injured. But I'm thinking he can't go the pace of the start of games. I think he should be coming off the bench when the heat goes out of the first 20. I think he gets gassed to quick with that intensity. Not sure.

What an inspired sub change by Sieb's, putting on Paseka for his 2nd stint...wow..talk about a smash and grab, that hit-up up skittled em. More of the same please Tent.
Seeing Josh Alsomevowels starting at 13 also showed Seibs intent of starting with 3 big middles until the opposition fatigues. Forget the ball playing lock until we have them where we want them. Enter Weekes.

He did that to a few today! His defense was unbelievable today, sitting at the ground you get an appreciation of how good his technique is,

Very evident he was doing his best not to lay too long in the tuck either (no 6 agains from him I don’t believe!).
He is just relentless, shoring up our middle/ruck area together with his partner in crime Croker.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8