Pre-Game Manly v Bulldogs [Round 1, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

31 6
4 Pines Park
04 Mar 2023 03:00 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
There could be a late changeup with a young dummy half very close to getting a shot in the 17, this is the 2nd whisper about this, so don't shoot the messenger
Great news if so. Who would change out? Kao to Centre, Gordon to 14. Sorry Brad?

Very non-Des to bring talented young guys with tons to offer in like this ...

Same mate, on SEN he definitely said not till rd 11. Hoping/ preying he can though.
I think because he’s been named at 22 the rumour mill has gone wild.

A) don’t think he could be chosen from 22 anyway.
B) he’s not top 30 so our next up hooker Karl Lawton would have to be chosen next.
C) as a development player we would need special dispensation to have him play anyway.

So if he runs out , I’ll be gobsmacked!!

Couple of positive stats though!

We've won 7 of our last 8 against the Bulldogs, they've lost their last 6 at Brookvale.
Thanks for that it’s always better to look at the positives.

I was reading some other interesting stats earlier re-Rd1, under the link below, NRL Stats: Who Has The Best Round 1 Record? - Nothing But Rugby League

DO ROUND 1 WINNERS MAKE THE FINALS SERIES?​

YES. WELL BETTER THAN HALF ANYWAY​

59% of NRL Round 1 results since 2010 have seen the winner go on to make the finals. For Manly, every time they have won the first game, they have made the finals.

WHICH NRL TEAMS HAVE BOGEY SIDES IN ROUND 1?​

In our analysis since 2003, Manly have won 100% of their opening round fixtures against Queensland sides but are yet to beat a New South Wales Side.

HOW DO THE ROUND 1 STATS COMPARE TO THE 2023 ROUND 1 FIXTURES?​

Some of the teams have played each other before this season in Round One. So here is a quick record of those head-to-head.

MANLY Vs BULLDOGS​

Overall: Bulldogs 2 Manly 0
At Manly’s Home: Bulldogs 1 Manly 0

The last time we won in round one, we went on to play in the GF, sadly, only to be robbed. Anyway l think we‘ll start with a win this year, where so overdue, new coach, pre season success, all pumped up to kick off our season, Dogs have been ordinary and hit with a couple of key outs up front, I’m pretty sure where not losing this at home, hope the crowd makes some noise and gets behind the lads.

I think because he’s been named at 22 the rumour mill has gone wild.

A) don’t think he could be chosen from 22 anyway.
B) he’s not top 30 so our next up hooker Karl Lawton would have to be chosen next.
C) as a development player we would need special dispensation to have him play anyway.

So if he runs out , I’ll be gobsmacked!!
This is my thinking too. Unless they’ve found a way to get him into the top 30

This is my thinking too. Unless they’ve found a way to get him into the top 30
If they’d done that , they’d have announced it.

My understanding ( my last little bit of inside knowledge ) is they jumped the gun and announced their top 30 before the trials , those contracts were all sent to the NRL.

Not thinking he’d be a revelation.

So, to get him in they have to find a home for one of our current players, at another club.

Most sides usually leave a spot right up to June , all other clubs have , except us.

So my insider says.

The run-on side looks pretty logical and, in the absence of Schuster, close to our best at the moment. The interchanges are really interesting: we seem to have weighted towards mobility and strike power rather than straight-up size (which actually would fit in with our pre-season comp form when at our best).

I am really interested in what role Weekes will play. Seems to me far too early in his career to hope he might play a similar role as Dylan used to. Already plenty of speed in the backline. Is he purely injury cover? Is Seibold planning some interesting rotations between the forwards and backs? (Parker a few minutes as a wide-running second rower for example?)

I always loved Des and I still do, he is a Manly Legend for always, but maybe we are due for some new ideas and new insights. Go Manly for Rd 1!

If they’d done that , they’d have announced it.

My understanding ( my last little bit of inside knowledge ) is they jumped the gun and announced their top 30 before the trials , those contracts were all sent to the NRL.

Not thinking he’d be a revelation.

So, to get him in they have to find a home for one of our current players, at another club.

Most sides usually leave a spot right up to June , all other clubs have , except us.

So my insider says.
Seems like a silly error if you ask me

Nice pickup. Yeah I remembered the team trying to get Burbo a try in that game v dogs. I just assumed Jake would have been there cos he’s never out. Wonder where he was?
I think it was when Jake had Covid. It was also when we were in lockdown and that 66-0 game was at Brookie with no crowd and the Dogs had several players out due to Covid (or breached Covid rules or something like that).

I think it was when Jake had Covid. It was also when we were in lockdown and that 66-0 game was at Brookie with no crowd and the Dogs had several players out due to Covid (or breached Covid rules or something like that).
I think the 66-0 was at CommBank Stadium (ie the Slime home turf).

Might be wrong... but we kinda owned that venue in 2021 - I was lucky enough to be there for one of the games!

Re Gordon, I assume that Manly have applied for (or will be applying for) dispensation to allow him to play NRL this week. While Lawton is the backup hooker, he is not NRL fit (while named for Blacktown this week, he is coming off a long term injury). Given we have no other player who could play hooker in the top 30, I assume that is sufficient to get Gordon into the squad for this week’s game. For Rd 3, assuming Lawton makes a successful comeback, Gordon will cease to be eligible for firsts.

So very very much conjecture about this , but based on what I heard the coach say on radio , he cannot play , regardless !!
Initially I made a post questioning this rule - the reason being, I was told by a source related directly with the club (not a coach), he was in the frame for selection and the rules (from what I heard), would not allow this.....but we will see.

Re Gordon, I assume that Manly have applied for (or will be applying for) dispensation to allow him to play NRL this week. While Lawton is the backup hooker, he is not NRL fit (while named for Blacktown this week, he is coming off a long term injury). Given we have no other player who could play hooker in the top 30, I assume that is sufficient to get Gordon into the squad for this week’s game. For Rd 3, assuming Lawton makes a successful comeback, Gordon will cease to be eligible for firsts.
They should apply to have him available while Latu is ineligible due to age. That basically takes us through till round 11 anyway

The run-on side looks pretty logical and, in the absence of Schuster, close to our best at the moment. The interchanges are really interesting: we seem to have weighted towards mobility and strike power rather than straight-up size (which actually would fit in with our pre-season comp form when at our best).

I am really interested in what role Weekes will play. Seems to me far too early in his career to hope he might play a similar role as Dylan used to. Already plenty of speed in the backline. Is he purely injury cover? Is Seibold planning some interesting rotations between the forwards and backs? (Parker a few minutes as a wide-running second rower for example?)

I always loved Des and I still do, he is a Manly Legend for always, but maybe we are due for some new ideas and new insights. Go Manly for Rd 1!
I wonder if Weekes might be used to give Turbo a rest after 50-60 minutes to avoid injury risk?

It would be a good way to give him first grade experience & preserve Turbo.

Unfortunately people, it’s pointless now speculating about our game on Saturday, we’re F’d with a capital F, I’ve just seen the SMH “expert’s” tips; Joey Johns has tipped us, so we’ll lose for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8