Manly signings thread where we can discuss!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
You can't afford to have the Titanic on the wing mate. Either Suli plays in the forwards, or he should just be let go imo. Too slow. Too immobile. Too poor in defense. Too lacking in fitness. Going by his Instagram, fitness to date isn't his primary focus either. Drinking, smoking and partying is.
Back row would sort him out.

Going by his Instagram, fitness to date isn't his primary focus either. Drinking, smoking and partying is.

Unsurprising, given how the coach and his coaching staff seemed to interact with the playing group this year.
Maybe a new, more hard edged coach will get these blokes back on track ?

Just listening to 954 Macquarie Sports radio and the female host (not sure of her name) was at the Dally M’s last night and spoke to various players including Taupau. She had a grab of the interview and a) he said he wasn’t going anywhere e,g, staying at Manly; and b) doesn’t know who the coach will be for 2019, but said something along the lines of “don’t mind who it is as long as they are footy minded, on and off the field”. So either he is telling porkies or he is genuinely staying.

...."footy minded, on and off the field"...
What does this mean? Especially coming from a player who obviously spends plenty of time in the hairdressers off the field.

What does this mean? Especially coming from a player who obviously spends plenty of time in the hairdressers off the field.
Maybe focused on winning games full stop - instead of getting on the sauce with the players and cleaning the gym what do you reckon @Ryan

I imagined that it meant not just turning up at training but putting in more effort (Doing what you are paid to do!) - like watching video and coming up with diverse game plans, or altering the team, for different opposing teams; looking for other ways to bring the best out of the players such as cutting edge recovery, training techniques, nutrition; weekly individual advice and/or things to focus on, etc. Marty is a good example. are we getting the best out of him?
Although for some reason, after watching the Sea Eagles these past few seasons, some of them need to work hard on the basics too. I blame Trent for that as well.
Maybe Trent was doing some of these things well, how would I know, but it did not seem like he was, e.g. how many times these past few season has Manly got in an attacking position and looked clueless? Attacking kicks? Not to mention the crap defense - that is the starting point right there - improve the defense.
We need a wise, passionate, dedicated coach...no way does Carty spring to my mind.

I imagined that it meant not just turning up at training but putting in more effort (Doing what you are paid to do!) - like watching video and coming up with diverse game plans, or altering the team, for different opposing teams; looking for other ways to bring the best out of the players such as cutting edge recovery, training techniques, nutrition; weekly individual advice and/or things to focus on, etc. Marty is a good example. are we getting the best out of him?
Although for some reason, after watching the Sea Eagles these past few seasons, some of them need to work hard on the basics too. I blame Trent for that as well.
Maybe Trent was doing some of these things well, how would I know, but it did not seem like he was, e.g. how many times these past few season has Manly got in an attacking position and looked clueless? Attacking kicks? Not to mention the crap defense - that is the starting point right there - improve the defense.
We need a wise, passionate, dedicated coach...no way does Carty spring to my mind.

There is a core section of the playing group, wanting a more preofessionally run footy team off the park,and they don't feel that's the case with Barrett and Carty. There's a massive, laid back drinkign and partying culture with quite a few of the team, who will **** themselves if a guy like Maguire comes in, because those drinking sessions with Cartwright and Berrett will well and truly be over.

I really hope manly can sign atleast two or three good players for next year ! watching tonight's grand final makes me miss the good old manly days !!!

We have the quality already. Agree we need some astute signings, and they need to fill the following holes:

01. Tom Trbojevic
03. Brian Kelly
04. Dylan Walker
06. Kane Elgey
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Addin Fonua-Blake
09. Apisai Koroisou
10. Marty Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Manase Fainu
15. Kelepi Tanginoa
16. Taniela Paseka

But those holes have to be marquee.
They have to be explosive
They have to be super-fast

All the finals showed the best teams have the fast, explosive, skilled centres and wingers. We already have that in Walker / Kelly. Now to get them their own Rapana, Tupou, Ado-Carr types.

I just think our forwards are too fat and boring, and that we don't have the grunt to take us anywhere. Got to get some Murray, Radley, Welch types in to add some staunch to our unvarying forward pack next season. Problem is that there aren't a whole lot out there at the moment. We badly missed Brenton Lawrence this season, he fits into that mold of player, shows we just need one or two of them to at least add some real grit.

I just think our forwards are too fat and boring, and that we don't have the grunt to take us anywhere. Got to get some Murray, Radley, Welch types in to add some staunch to our unvarying forward pack next season. Problem is that there aren't a whole lot out there at the moment. We badly missed Brenton Lawrence this season, he fits into that mold of player, shows we just need one or two of them to at least add some real grit.
Mate, I think our forwards are.our strength. Get them all fired up and motoring, and lookout.

The weakest link is probably Taniela Paseka, but before he got injured, he was a beast. Fast, dedicated and strong. The right environment will make that kid flourish. I think he has it in him to be our Nelson Asof whatever his name is for Melbourne.

And he's out weak link. Quality goes up from there mate.

Alot of our side in general look overweight. Hopefully ballin does come in and put Taufua Suli Perrett paseks and sipley on a special programme. Agree another quality forward and atleast 1 winger. We're not far off

Mate, I think our forwards are.our strength. Get them all fired up and motoring, and lookout.

The weakest link is probably Taniela Paseka, but before he got injured, he was a beast. Fast, dedicated and strong. The right environment will make that kid flourish. I think he has it in him to be our Nelson Asof whatever his name is for Melbourne.

And he's out weak link. Quality goes up from there mate.
Apologise in advance for the essay hahah, this thing is my pet peeve with our side.I definitely agree that they are pretty good when they're on. But teams are starting to know how to deal with our pack i feel. This season Marty Taupau has generally had a much smaller impact, Jake Trbo is failing to offer much more than a simple run and Jorge Taufua is being cut short every time. It's either we're too reliant on these players that they've gone stale and teams know how to handle them, or we don't have enough variety.

Our attack in general is a another thing, but we need some staunch players similar to those mentioned (welch, radley, murray or finucane types) for high workload and variety.

Roosters, for example: JWH, Radley, Taukeiaho, Cordner, Aubo, Liu, Matterson, Tetevano
Compared To Sea Eagles: Taupau, AFB, Jake Trbo, Taniela Paseka, Kelepi Tanginoa, Joel Thompson, Shaun Lane(bye), Jack Gosiewski

I don't mind our pack on paper, although Taupau, AFB, Trbo, Gosiewski, Tanginoa and Paseka all do the same thing, they just hit it up straight. And as for Thompson and Lane, they are a bit different though were also too far coached into simply running it straight as well, very rarely would they take advantage of their line running. There's just so little point of difference in our pack. For the roosters JWH, Tetevano and Napa do their job hitting it up. Radley and Matterson have evasive running styles and manouvere easily and often, though can also switch it up to play a more workmans game, Cordner runs strong lines and Aubo tries similar, finally, Taukeiaho has some unique footwork to the line. These all combine to keep the opposition on the feet, they can't prepare anywhere near as easily to defend such a varied forward pack. Storm tried to wrestle to victory although you can't concentrate on wrestling when you are kept on your feet in defence

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree.... we need more energy. Fonua-Blake is coming along well, but we need more guys that are just hungry for the ball, and run with purpose and inspire the next guy to run hard. I feel like some of the passion required comes down to coaching. It's not complicated. Barrett didn't get the best out of our squad. Maguire would I reckon.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10