Manly Champion Players we shouldn't forget

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just like all the poms, including myself when I arrived in 1970.
We need another pom.
How good do we go with an old dart warrior in maroon & white.
We had Des Drummond in the 80s but he broke his leg and couldn't play.
Geez he was quick and tough.

I am pretty sure that during 98 was the year when Alf Duncan made his Manly debut and from memory he scored at least one long range try , certainly seemed to have plenty of pace . Just vaguely recall Jorgen Rogers , a bit more familiar with Anthony Rogers the quite handy winger. John Gray was of course another noted pom recruit , Andy Goodway arrived some time in 1988 i think , with big wraps but struggled a bit and there was a Pom half back called Graham Williams in first grade when i first followed Manly.

I am pretty sure that during 98 was the year when Alf Duncan made his Manly debut and from memory he scored at least one long range try , certainly seemed to have plenty of pace . Just vaguely recall Jorgen Rogers , a bit more familiar with Anthony Rogers the quite handy winger. John Gray was of course another noted pom recruit , Andy Goodway arrived some time in 1988 i think , with big wraps but struggled a bit and there was a Pom half back called Graham Williams in first grade when i first followed Manly.
Mentioning john Gray, both his and john Gibbs contribution to the 78 premiership campaign should not be forgotten.
I think Gray played most games that year before being sent off by the allegedly biased Greg Hartley in the semi replay against the whinging eels, therefore missing the GF.
And Gibbsy chopped opponents to pieces that year and missed the whole semi final series with that hamstring.
He was selected on the kangaroo tour but was a mere passenger.

That's awesome midsteyne.
He looked like he would've been pretty mobile as well.
I went to primary school with his kids,rex was my first RU coach, under 10s,he used to make us run on bindi eyes on north harbour reserve,that was a short lived footy team:eek:

Is Wally O'Connell still around? Manly should doing something on the website or media about him. You can take a lineage of great halfbacks direct from Wally. Wally coached Bozo who coached Hasler/Toovey who coached DCE.

Another forgotten hero was Rick Chisholm. How about that Saturday arvo tv game in 1980 vs Sharks were he scored all of Manly's points in a 17-13 win at Brookie including tries, goals & a field goal. What a tally! http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/s...d-11/manly-warringah-vs-cronulla/summary.html
Fullback 1. Ross WINDSHUTTLE
Wing 2. Tom MOONEY (c)
Centre 3. Simon BOOTH
Centre 4. Russel GARTNER
Wing 5. Jim SEE
Five-Eighth 6. Martin MEREDITH
Halfback 7. Rick CHISHOLM
Lock 8. Paul VAUTIN
Second Row 9. Bruce WALKER
Second Row 10. Ray BROWN
Front Row 11. Steve CRAY
Hooker 12. Max KRILICH
Front Row 13. Ian THOMSON​

Vague recollection too that Chisholm game was when the NSWRL banned Wombat from playing for 4 weeks as he refused to go to NZ with the Kangaroos. And people insist that Arko favoured Manly!

Last edited:
It was such an amazing game with Rick Chisholm.:)

Greg Pierce was the Roos Captain of the day and rookie Rick outplayed the whole Sharkies Team on his own.:clap:

Imagine him possessing Walks' impudence x 100 - drove them crazy all day :p

Sadly his off field behaviour saw Arko flick him as there were no rehab angles those days. @:cool:

Rick passed away very young from cancer @:cry:

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
One player who tends to get forgotten is Steve Martin. Martin débuted for Manly in 1978 and was selected for NSW as 5/8 after a handful of games. With Johnny Gibbs injured he played half in both the grand final and the grand final replay win over Cronulla. Martin finished his début season as the NSWRL Rookie of the Year. He was then selected to go on the 1978 Kangaroo tour, playing in eleven tour matches and one Test against France. Incredibly, Manly had 3 halves selected in that team (Gibbs, Martin and Alan Thompson).

One player who tends to get forgotten is Steve Martin. Martin débuted for Manly in 1978 and was selected for NSW as 5/8 after a handful of games. With Johnny Gibbs injured he played half in both the grand final and the grand final replay win over Cronulla. Martin finished his début season as the NSWRL Rookie of the Year. He was then selected to go on the 1978 Kangaroo tour, playing in eleven tour matches and one Test against France. Incredibly, Manly had 3 halves selected in that team (Gibbs, Martin and Alan Thompson).

Rd 1 1978. Thompson to Gibbs! I think Steve Martin is one of the players on the bench you can see after the try.

Even though he spent a good part of his career with the Eels , the international Geoff Gerard was a good performer during his time with Manly . And the reason that Steve Martin was given the nick name of the Whiz was that he did often show a lot of flair and lively play and especially during his early time with the sea eagles.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6