Manly Champion Players we shouldn't forget

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
In late 2015 I was in Manly Hospital and Dempsey Joy was in the bed next to me. I don't think he could believe that I knew he used to play for Manly. I think he mostly played lower grades in the mid 70's but the name stayed with me because it was so unusual.

I'll put a nomination in for Dave Ronson too.

There are many greats, always loved the Cliffy / Beaver combo .... I have to admit I have a soft spot for big Crusher Cleal. I remember a game against the Eels, I think Brett Atkins was playing the ball, big Crusher had a big strike at the ball, had an air swing and connected flush on Atkins shin who promptly went down for the count. His rumbling runs with defenders getting scattered like 9 pins. Could go missing though when he was on .... He was devastating. Innes at centre was always a fav. Monners and Matty Orford were heart on their day too.

Kevin Schubert

The Sea Eagles only just avoided the wooden spoon in 47 and 48 and came in third last in 49. They had a couple of outstanding players such as their first International Roy Bull, but by 1950 they went on a spending spree, first bringing through 20 year old Ken Arthurson, and buying winger Ron Rowles, test regular Wally O'Connell and test hooker Kevin Schubert. Wally O'Connell sat out the 50 season because of Eastern Suburbs objection on the old Residential Rule.

But Wollongong's Kevin Schubert had drawn close to Roy Bull in test sides they had played together and joined Manly from 1950-54 and 1956. The 19 test rake, would probably not make first grade in today's game. But he had an astonishing skill as a rake, when hookers actually competed for the ball. He was like Wally Grout was to cricket. Fairly average in other aspects of the game but with that one outstanding skill. Schubert rarely lost overall hooking contests in a game for the ball than his opponent, therefore assuring his side a healthy share of possession in what was then an unlimited tackle rule. Some suggest he was the best true hooker to have played the game. Certainly his skill contributed significantly in Manly reaching the grand final for the first time in 1951. Krillich may be our finest modern hooker, but Schubert was our finest true rake, assisting Manly through its first Golden period reaching the semis three times between 1951-56.

you are correct 08 and he passed to beaver when he could of scored. A manly great old robbo loved him as did matai
And from the same team Steve Bell. Oozed class in the mould of Craig Innes, another great but under-rated (not by us!!) Manly player.

Also special mention to the fellow on the Hill who rang the cow bell every time Steve Bell touched the ball or made a tackle. Thanks for giving me a chuckle!

Loving this thread.

He was a winger/fullback @TerryRandall .
Beach sprint champ I believe. Played some 1sts for us and illawarra.
Late 70s early 80s.

curious, i went to google. Up pops "Manly's 10 top recruits ever" which turns out to be a link back to these esteemed pages and a thread from a few years back where one @tookey nominates chris as one of our best ever recruits. Though his argument is somewhat diluted by his also listing every other norths recruit, including someone called Erwin Noffz?? So it appears young Chris also came via the bears. Anyhoo, as you were.
They are tossing up.
He was a manly junior I believe.

Some reliable back-ups also worth remembering - Rob Cameron, Howard Whitaker, Ed Whiley.
I never saw any of these but Frank Hyde used to say they always did the job when called into first grade. As a kid I'd listen to 2SM for Frank's calls whenever Manly made match of the day, and those names have always stuck with me for some reason!

curious, i went to google. Up pops "Manly's 10 top recruits ever" which turns out to be a link back to these esteemed pages and a thread from a few years back where one @tookey nominates chris as one of our best ever recruits. Though his argument is somewhat diluted by his also listing every other norths recruit, including someone called Erwin Noffz?? So it appears young Chris also came via the bears. Anyhoo, as you were.
No, he was a Manly junior - I'm pretty sure with Narrabeen. I think he spent 1980 at Norths, before returning in 1981 to score two tries in the Round 2 game at Leichhardt. Then he was off with Sallow Cheeks Dorahy and Wayne Springall to (I don't like to speak) Illawarra in 1982.

I'm pretty sure Erwin Noffz used to stand on Hasbeen Hill at games. He had a booming voice (if I've got the right gentleman) and he didn't mind using it.

Has anyone mentioned Paul Vautin? I know he has been so ubiquitous since he retired and more remembered as a personality these days. But he was a great one. Hard working defender, great leader and the 87 premiership captain. For that he desreves great credit.

Ross Windshuttle went well in firsts, and he was unstoppable in reserve grade. Would have played a lot more if manly didn't have ribot, bousted etc.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6