Manly Champion Players we shouldn't forget

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Certainly do not expect any credit Sea Eagle Rock 8 as it became quite obvious after i first joined that some reasonable posting standards are expected but regardless of course thanks anyway for your encouraging gesture . Before i became a member , i was just a regular and cruisey Silver tail"s site forum viewer for about 18 months or so and certainly a different experience now being a member poster.

I just loved Cliffy Lyons, a man of exceptional talent, he's timing of passes to Beaver, Toovey, and the likes was second to none, let us never forget him. He did all this while having a gasper at half time. Cliffy is God...
He sure is.

Great topic. I don't think Snoz gets enough mentions And there were so many quality players through the 90's. Elsegood in his rookie year was sensational, he was so bloody quick and had the strangest stride.

I think where there were many decent players that got lost to the crappy times were in the NE and post NE days.
Albert torrents was one of those that actually played some decent footy in a crappy team.

We had some real earnest tryers that given better surrounding players could have been great.

I think some memorable players from the opposite end of the scale should be remembered such as the infamous Jye Mullane

Russel Gartner , always remember that runaway try in his first game for the Kangaroos
Because we have had some great centres over the years Frogs Eyes rarely gets a mention in discussions about best ever line ups, but he is up there as one of our best IMO. Still yet to see someone with the ability to swerve at full pace like Gartner could, and he was quick as well. Have a look at some of those Youtube videos of Manly in the 70's and check out his work. Always one of my favourite players.

Ron Rowles

Thanks to Terry Zarsoff and Holden V8 for the recent epitaphs on our first master goal kicker/try scorer. Rowles as mentioned recently died, but for any really old Sea Eagle supporters he must have been a bright light in Manly's first surge towards a premiership. Check Terry's 'Ron Rowles' section for full details, but this phenomenal winger, both fast and solid from Wollongong, played for Manly between 1950-54 and in four of those seasons he was top point scorer in the competition. He played in Manly's first Grand Final attempt in 1951 and at one stage against Canterbury scored an amazing 30 points. In 5 years he had scored 42 tries and 352 goals for 842 points (which given tries were worth 3 points in those days converts to 884 points today). At the time he was only bettered in point scoring overall by a couple of players, but all played over longer periods including the top point scorer at the time Tommy Kirk, who played for Norths, Canterbury and Newtown and scored 1042 points over 12 years.

Rowles amazingly never played for Australia. But he played in the 1951 Grand Final with some iconic names in Sea Eagle history such as Ken Arthurson, Kevin Schubert, Gordon Willoughby and Roy Bull. Unfortunately I was a baby when he played so I cant give first hand information

Daniel Gartner, Craig Hancock, Stephen Knight, Fatty

Phil Daley deserves a mention.
Milton could have troublesome hands but he put the fear of god into the opposition when he charged it up and he could destroy the hapless ball runners who ventured into his territory.
Ask Wayne Pearce.

Great topic. I don't think Snoz gets enough mentions And there were so many quality players through the 90's. Elsegood in his rookie year was sensational, he was so bloody quick and had the strangest stride.

I think where there were many decent players that got lost to the crappy times were in the NE and post NE days.
Albert torrents was one of those that actually played some decent footy in a crappy team.

We had some real earnest tryers that given better surrounding players could have been great.

I think some memorable players from the opposite end of the scale should be remembered such as the infamous Jye Mullane
Alby torrens in better company could have kicked on

Top player. Had to go back to the English league late in the season. Came back for the GF into a hot spring day just off the plane and played a blinder.

Remember listening to Zorba and Hartley on 2GB that year. Thought he joined us mid season. Zorba said there was a player coming to the club that would make all the difference, but did not say who it was at the time. Continued our long and successful tradition of signing top shelf Poms that contributed much to our success, particularly in the 70's.

Ward was instrumental in winning that premiership.

How about the 5/8th in our 2011 premiership winning team? What's his name again?
He was a great player with us for several years before having a couple of poor seasons at the back end of his time with us before becoming a journeyman with a number of lowly ranked clubs and ultimately disappearing into obscurity.

Simon Booth, Ross Windshuttle, Rod Jackson, Rick Chisholm, Fred Teasdell. Ian Baker, John Barber, Terry Hill ( the first ), Ed Planten, Mick Waller, Col Parkes, Daryl Pierce. Barely remembered names by some, but saw most of them play for us.

Certainly do not expect any credit Sea Eagle Rock 8 as it became quite obvious after i first joined that some reasonable posting standards are expected
Hehe I'm sure the effort will be rewarded with more feedback on easier to read posts.

That period after the merger came apart was very interesting for Manly. We had the worst team on paper and how Dessie kept us avoiding the wooden spoon I'll never know.

Players that held us together in that period that stand out for me:

Brendon Reeves: the slowest fullback I have ever seen but the first to sign with Manly after the merger. Had pretty good positional play.
Scott Donald: Great speed and held his own
Tony Jensen: Remember that cover tackle to take Wendell Sailor into touch
Mark Shipway: pretty good back row combo at the time with Watmough
Luke Willamson: survived that era and was a tackling machine in the GF sides.
Michael Heckenburg: honest from row forward at the time we needed it

An odd name I remember from the mid-70s was Billy Clare. He must have been a reserve grader, but must have had a few games in first grade. The reason I remember him is that on Rex Mossop's Seven's Big League Sunday night replay around 75-76 Clare featured in the credit highlights of each show. He scored a length of the field intercept try that was very spectacular. It always stuck in my mind though the guy never kicked on in first grade

Does anyone remember Danny Gough Gough?, late 60's early 70's much underrated winger as was Tom Mooney

Daniel Gartner and Glenn Ryan.
Would've been a good 2nd row combo too.
I'll chuck in Nick Kosef at lock and there's a great though underrated back row.

An odd name I remember from the mid-70s was Billy Clare. He must have been a reserve grader, but must have had a few games in first grade. The reason I remember him is that on Rex Mossop's Seven's Big League Sunday night replay around 75-76 Clare featured in the credit highlights of each show. He scored a length of the field intercept try that was very spectacular. It always stuck in my mind though the guy never kicked on in first grade
See the Manly 1977 thread. Footage of that try is in that thread.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8