Manly Champion Players we shouldn't forget

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I went to primary school with his kids,rex was my first RU coach, under 10s,he used to make us run on bindi eyes on north harbour reserve,that was a short lived footy team:eek:
I dunno I would like to have met Rex. He seems one genuinely scary dude.
I was sh*tting myself when I met my ultimate hero Terry Randall but he turned out to be a great, knockabout sort of bloke. Noel Kelly was the same.
I'd be too scared of stepping out of line with the moose.

I dunno I would like to have met Rex. He seems one genuinely scary dude.
I was sh*tting myself when I met my ultimate hero Terry Randall but he turned out to be a great, knockabout sort of bloke. Noel Kelly was the same.
I'd be too scared of stepping out of line with the moose.

Even when Rex was was a crotchety old bastard playing touch footy he still wanted to go the "biff" with anybody that crossed him.

He wanted to belt me one day just because I said his boxer dog was an attractive looking bitch. Luckily I was young and fast and his knees were shot.

Is Wally O'Connell still around? Manly should doing something on the website or media about him. You can take a lineage of great halfbacks direct from Wally. Wally coached Bozo who coached Hasler/Toovey who coached DCE.

And his influence on our first top class home grown half, Ken Arthurson, who was only 20 when O'Connell came to the club as captain coach. He coached and played alongside 'The Godfather' for three years (actually played alongside him for 2 years).

What isn't well reported is that Arthurson left Manly to play in Parkes, when he was barely 23, specifically so he could play for Country against City, because he couldn't get a look in any other way to rep football while Keith Holman, the incumbent city, NSW and Australian half, was in front of him. But three weeks into his career in Parkes he suffered a career ending injury. What could have been!

One player who tends to get forgotten is Steve Martin. Martin débuted for Manly in 1978 and was selected for NSW as 5/8 after a handful of games. With Johnny Gibbs injured he played half in both the grand final and the grand final replay win over Cronulla. Martin finished his début season as the NSWRL Rookie of the Year. He was then selected to go on the 1978 Kangaroo tour, playing in eleven tour matches and one Test against France. Incredibly, Manly had 3 halves selected in that team (Gibbs, Martin and Alan Thompson).
He also had an outstanding start to the 1980 season, which saw him tour NZ with the Australian squad.

Rex Mossop

Manly's first dual international footballer who stands alongside Arthurson and Fulton in my opinion regarding his influence on Manly and the game. Love him or hate him, but the 'Moose' will never be ignored or forgotten. His influence upon League in the late 60s and 70s, through his media activities, made him the most influential individual in League matters during that period.

Mossop was actually born in Tiger country, Five Dock, but his family, when he was a child, moved to Balgowlah, where he spent most of his life. He gained a reputation in Rugby Union as a tough no backwards step lock which earned him test selection early and 7 subsequent appearances in the Green and Gold. But he decided to try his hand at Rugby League, but initially not at Manly, but rather at Leigh in England from 1952-55. He was 28 years old when he first joined Manly in 1956 and would stay with them as front rower and second rower until he was 35. During that time he helped raise Manly to the next level following the early 50s start and contributed significantly to Manly making the 1957 and 1959 grand finals, though he was suspended in the semi final in 1959, and couldnt play the grand final that year. During his first six years at Manly, the team made the semis four times. He also played 9 tests

Rex took that 'take no Prisoners' attitude to TV and became the most well known Rugby League personality for almost 2 decades. To say his sports programme was influential is an understatement, and in fact probably out rated any AFL shows at the time. Never one to shy away from giving an opinion, his comments in various programmes, whether commentating, hosting league or other shows such as Beauty and the Beast, stirred the pot time and again. His citizens arrest of the nudist from the famed beach near his home was front page news. But there is no one who could mangle the English language like Rex and his tautological pronouncements became so famed , they became known as Mossopisms leading to many often called him Rox Messup. David Lord compiled a selection of his famed sayings that still bring a heavy chuckle and slight tear to me eye. Enjoy them and remember the most colourful individual in the game.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/01/21/sport-misses-rex-mossop-and-david-coleman/

Trying to recall a young half who looked an likely prospect probably in the late 60s and I think called Rob Hardie, who was outstanding in reserve grade but never played first grade as far as I can recall. I dont think he played for any other club.

Rob Hardie had a few seasons with the Brisbane Wynum Manly club around the 1970 time in the previous B R L competition , from my teenage recollection .I think that he made some Brisbane rep teams as well . Just remember him as a fairly slick 5 / 8 , not a big guy but a good consistent club player . After that , i really don"t know.

Rob Hardie had a few seasons with the Brisbane Wynum Manly club around the 1970 time in the previous B R L competition , from my teenage recollection .I think that he made some Brisbane rep teams as well . Just remember him as a fairly slick 5 / 8 , not a big guy but a good consistent club player . After that , i really don"t know.

Good to see he just didnt disappear. He had talent and I enjoyed getting to games early just to watch him and a few others play. That of course was during the period when we had three grades and could watch the development of some who became future stars before the big fixture. Miss that and its one of the many reasons I dont get to that many games anymore. Of course SuperLeague dampened my enthusiasm no end, and its never been fully restored.

Even when Rex was was a crotchety old bastard playing touch footy he still wanted to go the "biff" with anybody that crossed him.

He wanted to belt me one day just because I said his boxer dog was an attractive looking bitch. Luckily I was young and fast and his knees were shot.

I played touch against Rex also, in the Sunday morning early comp at Nolans Reserve, late 1970s. Had that scary glare when he looked at you like the old time forwards, and swore like a trooper. Good stuff.

One player who tends to get forgotten is Steve Martin. Martin débuted for Manly in 1978 and was selected for NSW as 5/8 after a handful of games. With Johnny Gibbs injured he played half in both the grand final and the grand final replay win over Cronulla. Martin finished his début season as the NSWRL Rookie of the Year. He was then selected to go on the 1978 Kangaroo tour, playing in eleven tour matches and one Test against France. Incredibly, Manly had 3 halves selected in that team (Gibbs, Martin and Alan Thompson).
The Whiz was a good player. Went to Balmain around the time Phil Blake emerged as the gun rookie half from memory because he was getting shuffled around the backline. If you believe the rumours, he and Benny Elias formed a good partnership on AND off the field.

He dabbled a bit in coaching post playing career, a couple of seasons at the Bears

The Whiz was a good player. Went to Balmain around the time Phil Blake emerged as the gun rookie half from memory because he was getting shuffled around the backline. If you believe the rumours, he and Benny Elias formed a good partnership on AND off the field.

He dabbled a bit in coaching post playing career, a couple of seasons at the Bears

It was fortunate that Steve Martin played that grand final. Gibbsy was a freak and could make a try out of what seemed impossible situations. In fact I think for sheer brilliance he was superior to the other two standout attacking halves at the time, Steve Morris and Steve Mortimer. I recall at North Sydney Oval, Norths dominating the Manly side. Then in a ten minute period Gibbs weaved his magic and won the game on his own. A Norths fan sitting next to us said Norths had them but for that Gibbs bloke.

But Gibbs wasnt a great defender and like Phil Blake, could be invisible for periods of the game. The finals series in 1978 was the most brutal Manly have faced and they needed tough play to get them through. Martin was just that. He didnt have Gibbs sheer brilliance, but he had a good all round game, was a good defender and involved himself in everything. They needed that sort of toughness to get Manly the title. Gibbsy got them there with some astonishing performances, but Manly were fortunate to have Martin there for the finals matches to dig in and do the tough yards. Loved Gibbs, but also respected the very different but talented Martin

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8