Manase D Day

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe he had to undergo some follow-up surgery...
Maybe scaling the wall caused that extra damage!

*But not sure of timeline - maybe unrelated
It's quite possible if he was in fight flight at the time (quite likely in that situation if he was anticipating some $hit going down) then his pain pathways may well have been inhibited allowing him to do something like scaling that wall despite his injury. If that was the case, even though the pain may have been inhibited he would still have likely incurred further damage... so damage was being done without him necessarily feeling it.

Last edited:
Agree, he may well get off but proving innocence is another matter. I have just seen the photo with him allegedly climbing the wall with towel over his head and the question should be asked do we want a player of this character playing for our club. 🤔
It is a huge issue BUT my view is that this is much more about his siblings now than him. I think the club is very very very keen to ensure the next two stay at the club and therefore are absolutely looking after him financially...but agree totally - his character seriously is questionable irrespective if he is innocent. A recently repaired shoulder - climbing over a fence with the sling on....that alone to me is a huge red flag that he wasn't thinking... hey this could damage my shoulder... hey this could put my career in jeopardy and hey there could be drama here in any case so I will steer clear... like he said he was taught in the NRL to walk away. Climbing the fence and going back shows to me intent to be involved in something stupid. That is not to say he was involved in the alleged offence. After leaving the venue in what seemed somewhat unpleasant/hostile circumstances and then wanting to head back just shows at best immaturity/bravado. I am not sure anyone will really know what happened besides the person with the knife... all seems very unclear to me. Lucky he wasn't playing because it would have been the Boycott 11 against the Roosters if he was! But the old adage applies to the case - if there is doubt they must acquit. To me there seems heaps of doubt albeit maybe well founded suspicion but suspicion doesn't get you a guilty plea.

Last edited:
Prosecuter saying there were 2 witnesses, 1 who saw Manase with the knife and another who said, the man with the knife was the man with a sling, not looking good atm.
BUT with regards the sling they didn’t say that at the time right? That is their statement now? If I was on the jury I would disregard their evidence.

I don't think the reporting of this case has been comprehensive. I find it hard to believe that Manase was the only witness called by the defence. There were at least four people in Manase's group so did any of them give testimony?
What about the person who allegedly owned Big Buck money? Was he called?
Was there any forensics?
I prefer to think that there was no news media permanently at this trial, they just sent 'journos' occasionally which is why the reports are so scattered. Also, the TV reporters are not court reporters; I doubt any of them have had proper training in court reporting like used to happen in my day for newspapers. They are 'all-rounders' who may be asked to cover a car accident one day and a envelope opening the next. Certainly no sports reporter would know how to cover a court case. It does require proper training or else your employer faces the real prospect of being sued.
AAP would have been the only media likely to have someone in court regularly.

I don't think the reporting of this case has been comprehensive. I find it hard to believe that Manase was the only witness called by the defence. There were at least four people in Manase's group so did any of them give testimony?
What about the person who allegedly owned Big Buck money? Was he called?
Was there any forensics?
Is it possible Fainu refused to name his friends & the police were unable to track them down?

Big Buck is involved in the trial isn't he? Not sure if he's a witness for the prosecution or defence.

Forensics showed there was no blood or DNA on Fainu's sling, but I suppose there's the possibility he changed slings before handing himself into police.

This is the AAP report which is going to be more reliable than other media. I gather that the Defence is still summing up so we should have further stories....

NRL hooker Manase Fainu was not content after stabbing a church youth leader in the back puncturing his lung, and continued to swing the blade and cut his eyebrow, a jury was told.
Crown prosecutor Emma Curran in her closing address in the Parramatta District Court on Tuesday said a witness was asked whether Fainu had "started the fight," that evening.
ADVERTISEMENT
Ad

"No, but he ended it," Ms Curran recalled Tony Quach saying.

"That is precisely what happened."
Fainu, 24, has pleaded not guilty to wounding Faamanu Levi with intent to cause grievous bodily harm at Wattle Grove late at night on October 25, 2019.
Ms Curran said the Manly Sea Eagles player and his friends had been kicked out of an event organised by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, following a fight on the dancefloor.
Fainu later scaled a fence to get back in, followed by four of his friends who approached Mr Levi and began a brawl, she said.
"When things looked like they were getting out of hand, Mr Fainu pulled out a knife and plunged it into the back of Mr Levi, causing a wound that punctured his lung and caused internal bleeding.
ADVERTISEMENT
Ad

"Not content with having stabbed him once ... (Fainu) moved around to the front of Mr Levi and swung the knife upwards towards (his) face cutting him across the eyebrow.
"Then he ran back to the car."
Ms Curran submitted that Mr Quach gave impressive, persuasive evidence in painstaking detail.
"He told you ... that he clearly saw the accused's face, his left arm in a sling and that the accused looked angry."
Mr Quach says he saw Fainu holding a knife in his right hand with a clenched fist and elbow bent at 90 degrees before Mr Quach pushed him saying "get out," causing him to stumble.

ADVERTISING

After Mr Quach reverted his attention to the melee, where a "big guy" was punching his friend, he said he saw Fainu plunge the knife into Mr Levi's back.
Mr Quach had a clear, unobstructed view and this was his first fight, Ms Curran said.
"Not something you would be likely to forget."
Another witness involved in the brawl - Kupi Toilalo - gave evidence that he saw a male in a sling approach his brother holding a knife.
Fainu denies any involvement in the brawl and gave evidence that when he heard "knife knife" he ran away scared for his own safety.
But Ms Curran asked the jury to find Fainu was an unimpressive and evasive witness, who gave contradictory and occasional fanciful evidence.
ADVERTISEMENT
Ad

She asked them to reject his answers including the reason he scaled a three-metre tall brick fence to get back onto the church grounds, rather than entering through the front gate, because "it was easier".
"The accused was the only person in a sling. And a sling is quite a distinctive feature," Ms Curran said.
A professional footballer was fit and strong had "no other thought in his mind" at the time but to cause Mr Levi serious bodily injury, she said.
His barrister Margaret Cunneen SC argued that her client, never before in trouble for any violence whatsoever, was not the stabber.
"A sling was a feature that drew the eye, a distinguishing feature of these young men of similar nationality," Ms Cunneen said.
"The group was the threat and the distinguishing feature of the group of the five men was the sling and that's why the sling becomes the feature that is continued throughout this."
ADVERTISEMENT
Ad

She said Mr Quach was a man who wanted to do good and put things together, but that his evidence was unreliable and should be rejected.
The trial continues.
Australian Associated Press

FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmail

Manase sounds a few cents short of a dollar. Even if he somehow gets off here, combine it with his other indescretions, these brothers better be bloody good players.

Deadset, my 13 year old boy sounds more convincing try to tell us that he didnt eat his sisters chocolate than Manase's testimony ...

Gosh, you watch the entire footage here and you're left with so many thoughts. Like ...
What is an NRL player with the world at his feet, even doing here?
Why, would said player with the world at his feet, even think of climbing a fence shortly after a shoulder operation?
Imagine the conversations in the car at the end.
Who'd be an NRL coach?

Gosh, you watch the entire footage here and you're left with so many thoughts. Like ...
What is an NRL player with the world at his feet, even doing here?
Why, would said player with the world at his feet, even think of climbing a fence shortly after a shoulder operation?
Imagine the conversations in the car at the end.
Who'd be an NRL coach?
The fence part is wild. I hurt my shoulder in January 2021, still today I don't trust it enough to climb anything major, I can't even throw a ball properly anymore. How two weeks after surgery he was doing that is beyond me

Not looking good for Fainu.

What I read from the defence yesterday looked like a load of **** especially the part about wearing a towel on his head for "reasons". The whole butter wouldn't melt in his mouth defence was totally unbelievable.

Where's Faingaa in all this? Anyone that the defence called as witnesses? Fainu said he hasn't been in contact with Faingaa, but did noone from his legal team call him as a witness?

Not looking good for Fainu.

What I read from the defence yesterday looked like a load of **** especially the part about wearing a towel on his head for "reasons". The whole butter wouldn't melt in his mouth defence was totally unbelievable.

Where's Faingaa in all this? Anyone that the defence called as witnesses? Fainu said he hasn't been in contact with Faingaa, but did noone from his legal team call him as a witness?
No dna of anyones else on the sling, no blood on the sling or any of MF’s belongings. Two witnesses that have changed their story from not a guy with a sling to seeing a guy with the sling stab someone. Im going with not guilty*

*based purely on media reports

No dna of anyones else on the sling, no blood on the sling or any of MF’s belongings. Two witnesses that have changed their story from not a guy with a sling to seeing a guy with the sling stab someone. Im going with not guilty*

*based purely on media reports
Didn't Faingaa initially admit to doing it as well, before walking it back?

Well if they have offered closing statements, then I would say they retired for the day and the Judge will offer direction tomorrow, I can't see this being a long argued case for the jury and we will get a result tomorrow.

If he is innocent then fantastic and it shows what an absolute shocking situation we have with the "Not at fault stand down"

If guilty the NRL will tell us how outstanding the policy is, even though it has not reduced any negative press about the NRL or its players, all it has done is kept him out of the game in his prime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8