Manase D Day

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Status
Not open for further replies.

krusty

Reserve Grader
Tipping Member
Didn't Faingaa initially admit to doing it as well, before walking it back?
I would say part of the non appearance of the friends is to create doubt and the possibility it could have been one if his mates. If they were in the witness box they would have to say it wasn’t them which would put heat on MF. Or alternatively admit to the crime.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Well if they have offered closing statements, then I would say they retired for the day and the Judge will offer direction tomorrow, I can't see this being a long argued case for the jury and we will get a result tomorrow.

If he is innocent then fantastic and it shows what an absolute shocking situation we have with the "Not at fault stand down"

If guilty the NRL will tell us how outstanding the policy is, even though it has not reduced any negative press about the NRL or its players, all it has done is kept him out of the game in his prime
I hope that Manly have also pointed out the ridiculousness of it all to the NRL. If he’s judged innocent, it has impacted both him and the club but if he’s judged guilty, it has still severely impacted the club.
The policy just didn’t work with court delays.
Surely other sports throughout the world have similar dilemmas, I wonder what they do?

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
I hope that Manly have also pointed out the ridiculousness of it all to the NRL. If he’s judged innocent, it has impacted both him and the club but if he’s judged guilty, it has still severely impacted the club.
The policy just didn’t work with court delays.
Surely other sports throughout the world have similar dilemmas, I wonder what they do?
The big one in the history books for me was Michael Vick in the US. He was only stood down once he admitted guilt but that ws like 2007ish.

Highflier

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Gosh, you watch the entire footage here and you're left with so many thoughts. Like ...
What is an NRL player with the world at his feet, even doing here?
Why, would said player with the world at his feet, even think of climbing a fence shortly after a shoulder operation?
Imagine the conversations in the car at the end.
Who'd be an NRL coach?
I wonder if Des had seen that footage or new of it before the trial

I am tipping at about 45% this year, so if I say "he's gone", he might have a chance based on what I have read.

I can't get it in my head that the prosecution relies on only two witnesses and the defence only produces Manase in his own defence.

We obviously haven't seen all of the evidence (?), so how can anyone make a considered decision ( including the judge and jury)?

No dna of anyones else on the sling, no blood on the sling or any of MF’s belongings. Two witnesses that have changed their story from not a guy with a sling to seeing a guy with the sling stab someone. Im going with not guilty*

*based purely on media reports
I havent read every article about it... but Was a forensic expert brought in to tell the jury how unlikely it would be that Fainu did it, given this piece of evidence?

40 nil

It's only a game ...
I wonder if Des had seen that footage or new of it before the trial
I remember a couple of years ago Manase's team stated that they hadn't been given access to the cctv footage. It's likely no one except prosecution saw it before the trial.

double hoops

First Grader
Does anyone know how much the contract is manly have promised him if he's not guilty. Verrels from the roosters is supposed to be going to the titans. He's a manly junior and would be a great addition. I think we need a 1st string hooker with croker being a perfect number 14 to replace walker
Your making too much sense Camo. Manly will never go for it.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I remember reading that the footage wasn't available, but can't find the news article link. Here's what I posted in 2020
Post in thread 'Manase Fainu' Manase Fainu
under full disclosure laws, the defense is entitled to see any evidence that will be admitted during the trial well before said trial.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Regardless of the result, I'm starting to lean towards the stand-down policy IN THIS CASE. not a popular thing to say I'm sure, but there has been damage done. If he had played these last 2 years only to be found guilty the outrage would have been very very damaging to the game.

He was there.
He was part of that gang.
He chose to hide his identity.
He ran and fled when the stabbing occurred.
I'm obviously not a gangbanger but I would have stayed at the scene if I didn't have anything to hide and show my innocence straight away.
He risked everything he had.
He obviously reinjured his shoulder in his stupid leap over the wall.
There was a stabbing and he was charged.

If he weren't a Manly player I would guess 90% of the outrage at the stand-down policy would be non-existant.

If the stabbed guy was my family member I would be wanting justice and possibly seeing a charged individual running around earning loads of coin would really really piss me off.

All that being said he has a better than average chance that some of the jury won't in good conscience be able to convict him on the evidence shown. He will probably get off.

The biggest takeaway from this is we can all now see why MF didn't go for a judge-only trial. there is probably enough evidence to convict should a judge be in a bad mood or be biased in any way.

mave

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
If he weren't a Manly player I would guess 90% of the outrage at the stand-down policy would be non-existant.

No.

I was completely against the JDB stand-down, I am still against the Manase stand-down. I'm against the policy, fullstop.

The NRL hung Brett Stewart out to dry, and learnt nothing from that mistake.

People can bleat "but sponsors" all they like....the NRL and its sponsors are not judge, jury and executioner for young men's lives and mental health.

XV-1

First Grader
Bottom line
Fainu or one of his 4 "gang" mates stabbed the guy.
If it wasn't Fainu it's damm crazy that he can waste 3 years of his life and potential jail time protecting one of his mates.

The other 4 friends must have amazing high paid careers to potentially let Fainu roll the dice and not be a man by fessing up.

Regardless, not the sort of guy we need or should want at our club. He is scum.

Eagles4Life

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
This case just gets more bizarre every day. However, in the immortal words of Ricky Stuart, it could be argued that anyone positively identified as climbing the fence that night could well be defined as a weak gutted dog.

Bomb Voyage

Reserve Grader
Bottom line
Fainu or one of his 4 "gang" mates stabbed the guy.
If it wasn't Fainu it's damm crazy that he can waste 3 years of his life and potential jail time protecting one of his mates.

The other 4 friends must have amazing high paid careers to potentially let Fainu roll the dice and not be a man by fessing up.

Regardless, not the sort of guy we need or should want at our club. He is scum.
tend to agree

Stevo

First Grader
...CCTV footage played for the court showed four men following Fainu, who draped a white towel around his head.
This "security blanket" doused in cold water was because he had a headache, denying it was to hide his identity.
He led them to a fence to jump over, saying it was an easier way inside...

A headache? I bet his barister loved that answer!
Luckily all the Silvertails have already decided the prosecution case is flimsy, otherwise I'd be a little worried after that one :eek:
You're kidding if the barrister didnt know about the footage and prep him on his answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18