Make or Break

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
What has Manly changed to enable us to beat the top 4?

We need a major shift to allow us to compete at that level.

Or do others think eventually the squad will come good once they are all on the park (post injuries)?

Genuine question.
We were pretty close to full strength in the finals last season

Make or break in the sense of making a statement that we are gonna rise up the ranks or break in the sense that you suggest; more of the same middle of the road crap.
Sadly , same middle of the road crap!!

I can’t see anything that suggests otherwise , can you ??

It’s hard to articulate what I really mean with this thread, but I’ll try and clarify.

Last year we had some good wins and there were stages where it felt like we were about to make a big statement against a big side and outside of thrashing an out of form Eels side, it never came. I got excited before some big games against Melbourne and Souths, expecting us to show the NRL that we were the real deal. I could think of a thousand excuses for why it never happened and why this season would be different.

That led to increased expectation for this year. We started poorly. I had a thousand excuses again. Then we win 4 and it looks like we’ve turned a corner. Then we go down 32-0 at halftime. Again, a thousand excuses.

So I guess what I’m getting at is this; no more excuses. The team has to start winning consistently regardless of what is going on with team selections and injuries and referees and any other crap, because that’s just what the top sides do. They win majority of the time, regardless.

Until we start doing this (winning consistently, regardless), we aren’t of the cusp of anything.

Last edited:
Nothing is gonna be made or broken pre origin. Between round 16 and 23 we play Storm, Roosters, Eels and Sharks, all at 4 pines. This will be our season defining stretch and will go a long way to determining our fate this season.

Last year we apparently couldn't win a game without Turbo - this year we won 4 on the trot (or 3?) without him.

Last year we had no reliable fill in for Turbo at the back - this year Garrick has made it his spot.

Last year we barely had Aloiai on the field - this year he showed the mongrel we've been missing in the forwards, leading the way for others to follow.

Last year we bowed out in the finals series - this year our players have that experience under their belts.

Something has to change - or maybe Des is only concerned about making the finals each year rather than challenging for a flag.

Now we are getting into the nitty gritty.

I know making the finals last year triggered the contract extension.

One has to wonder what KPIs or whatever are involved going forward.
And if those KPIs are perhaps setting the benchmark too low.

I agree.
That’s my point.

I can’t see us changing anything while we continue with the same.

Something has to change - or maybe Des is only concerned about making the finals each year rather than challenging for a flag.
Well he did have a top 4 clause in his contract and last season i made the point that he looked like he was coaching for that, as opposed the bigger end. It is so obvious that our free flowing ad lib footy wont beat any of the big boys unless they leave there A game,and possibly the B game at home

Some tweaks have been made with both cherry and foz taking bigger roles . I feel like it has been addressed but changing bad habits takes time and a big will

It’s hard to articulate what I really mean with this thread, but I’ll try and clarify.

Last year we had some good wins and there were stages where it felt like we were about to make a big statement against a big side and outside of thrashing an out of form Eels side, it never came. I got excited before some big games against Melbourne and Souths, expecting us to show the NRL that we were the real deal. I could think of a thousand excuses for why it never happened and why this season would be different.

That led to increased expectation for this year. We started poorly. I had a thousand excuses again. Then we win 4 and it looks like we’ve turned a corner. Then we go down 32-0 at halftime. Again, a thousand excuses.

So I guess what I’m getting at is this; no more excuses. The team has to start winning consistently regardless of what is going on with team selections and injuries and referees and any other crap, because that’s just what the top sides do. They win majority of the time, regardless.

Until we start doing this (winning consistently, regardless), we aren’t of the cusp of anything.
I get what your saying . Everyone has different ideas but i have been banging on about the chooks having this very moment with mitchell pearce for a few seasons now. Wether or not it is all about the 7 , thats up to everyone to decide but its clear to me and many others for some time, that we are swimming in the kiddies pool.

The common denominator in the way we go about our business, as opposed to results, stands out like a big cherry thumb

I think DCE could go to another side and win a comp playing second fiddle ,and playing a role but no one is upsetting his reign as manly top dog , and our team mirrors his style of game

On field we are managed by an athlete , a good soul, a team man, a manly man who chugs too much red cordial 10 seconds before kick off

Your thread though is great in that we have heaps of footy talk, real stuff and no one bagging or belittling peoples opinions . Rarified air that is

Well he did have a top 4 clause in his contract and last season i made the point that he looked like he was coaching for that, as opposed the bigger end. It is so obvious that our free flowing ad lib footy wont beat any of the big boys unless they leave there A game,and possibly the B game at home

Some tweaks have been made with both cherry and foz taking bigger roles . I feel like it has been addressed but changing bad habits takes time and a big will
It’s far from only DCE & Foran.

I’m not sure Des has moved into the 2020’s of coaching style , maybe that’s our major issue.

I get what your saying . Everyone has different ideas but i have been banging on about the chooks having this very moment with mitchell pearce for a few seasons now. Wether or not it is all about the 7 , thats up to everyone to decide but its clear to me and many others for some time, that we are swimming in the kiddies pool.

The common denominator in the way we go about our business, as opposed to results, stands out like a big cherry thumb

I think DCE could go to another side and win a comp playing second fiddle ,and playing a role but no one is upsetting his reign as manly top dog , and our team mirrors his style of game

On field we are managed by an athlete , a good soul, a team man, a manly man who chugs too much red cordial 10 seconds before kick off

Your thread though is great in that we have heaps of footy talk, real stuff and no one bagging or belittling peoples opinions . Rarified air that is
Yeah I do agree that our style is a mirror of his play...that’s a really good way of putting it.

Love ya work Snake and defs rate your opinion....but I can't buy into a season defying game missing potentially 3-4 most valuable players and probably more to the point, early days mate.
Do agree with plenty of your thoughts on the subject and see a fair and reality type take on what seems to be typical Manly form in recent seasons and too many excuses...also been some great posts and has made a great read, as it is thought provoking thread from a passionate Seaeagle supporter far from a critical perspective.....just good old honesty and I am a fan of that style.

Love ya work Snake and defs rate your opinion....but I can't buy into a season defying game missing potentially 3-4 most valuable players and probably more to the point, early days mate.
Do agree with plenty of your thoughts on the subject and see a fair and reality type take on what seems to be typical Manly form in recent seasons and too many excuses...also been some great posts and has made a great read, as it is thought provoking thread from a passionate Seaeagle supporter far from a critical perspective.....just good old honesty and I am a fan of that style.
Thanks. I suppose I am just getting a bit tired of having my hopes dashed every few weeks lol! I was so pumped for 2022.

I think our results in week 11 & 12 will almost certainly define our season. I think we probably need to win both of them (Eels & Storm), to not be seen as pretenders again this year. If we lose both, and drop more than one from our next three (Rabbitohs, Tigers & Broncos), our season will definitely be broken. Hopefully, we win all three and have some momentum (plus players back), moving into weeks 11 & 12.

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10