Make or Break

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I think our results in week 11 & 12 will almost certainly define our season. I think we probably need to win both of them (Eels & Storm), to not be seen as pretenders again this year. If we lose both, and drop more than one from our next three (Rabbitohs, Tigers & Broncos), our season will definitely be broken. Hopefully, we win all three and have some momentum (plus players back), moving into weeks 11 & 12.
We need to beat a top 2 side to cross over the bridge , to prove it can be done ( by us ).

Sadly I just don’t see it happening but I’m not known to be the best football judge on Silvertails.

Thanks. I suppose I am just getting a bit tired of having my hopes dashed every few weeks lol! I was so pumped for 2022.
I feel your pain Snake and cant disagree much with your points. I don't however see this game against the rabbits and season defining. I will wait until the rest of the established troops are back in the squad and (hopefully) Des includes a couple of the youngsters in Tolu, Tippytoes, Tuitavake. The changes (plural) required are now pretty obvious. Not sure old Des can ignore.

Hey Davey holds that ball for a 6 pointer on Thursday night and we could be talking about potentially the greatest comeback in NRL history!!! Yes i know very hypothetical but that's how precariously this team plays atm.....and where we are placed in the queue.

Keep hanging there.

A few teams are in a hole rn. Roosters looking lost today for example. The season is long, there will be ups and downs.

When I think of that 2011 premiership. I can't help but think of how good Manly's line speed was. To me History probably doesn't accurately reflect just how good Gifty actually was. Why did DCe become like the the first half to win a premiership on debut in 100 years?I'll suggest the bloke playing next to him. The iconic battle of brookvale. That bloke again. It signified a mentality. What you were up against when you played against that team. And just who was the Clive Churchill winner on the big day?

And if you recall that team was winning without him, to give him the chance to play in the GF.

Im not going to suggest we don't have the players to win a GF now.

But I'm not seeing the grit, determination and mental strength.

Id really love to see the Gift back at Man.

I'm again looking at the bloke who wears the no13 in our current squad, regardless of where he actually plays. As that's where I want to see so much more in terms of leadership, grit, determination and spirit. If only the Gift could guide our 13 like snake does our 1 and Spud our 10.

Thanks. I suppose I am just getting a bit tired of having my hopes dashed every few weeks lol! I was so pumped for 2022.
Certainly get where your going with this Champ and solid points as always

Personally, for me, I feel like next week’s game against South’s is gonna make or break our season. I know it’s only rd.8 but it’s time for Manly to decide what sort of team they want to be. Since Hasler’s return, we’ve been inconsistent; particularly in defence. We regularly win a string of games against lesser opposition, but consistently falter against decent sides. There always seems to be factors that compel us fans to ‘keep the faith’, whether it’s a crippling injury toll or the selection mistake or an injury during a game.

Last years dream run was largely against cannon-fodder and even the big wins came with close first half contests before Tom exploded. Maybe we’ve overestimated the abilities of this team for 2022.

Basically, I think it’s time for Manly to put all excuses aside and start showing desperation to win at all costs against all comers or start planning a new approach with some big roster changes because we are a middle of the road team at the moment. To concede 32 points against any opposition in one half of football is extremely alarming, regardless of a second half comeback.

If we lose to South’s, we’ll start to lose contact with the top4 and it’ll be making up the numbers again like the last few years.
I’m just sick of us not being legitimate premiership contenders. Last year felt too good to be true. While we won more games last year, the 2019 side was better. We beat the raiders(grand finalists) twice, beat Melbourne in Melbourne and were robbed against Souths twice. If it wasn’t for injuries, and Gerard Sutton I think we could have won the gf. I’m sick of the mediocrity. Would trade turbo for Tedesco any day.

Last years semi finals exposed our weaknesses and provided a blueprint for teams to contain tom and attack our weak edges, 2022 is gone already we are cannon fodder for the top teams with that weak left edge and saab under pressure with the high ball has been added to the blueprint. complete lack of foresight by des in regards to recruitment and the retention of taufua,and boyle is nothing short of Ludacris
Hasler proves year after year to be a tier 2 coach. Not up there with Bellamy Cleary Bennett and Robinson.

Our pack, style of play and whats required to contend are at odds . This pack needs dominance or frequent breaks in play. Not everyone in the team knows this

Against lesser teams we score enough tries for our props to almost have fifo conditions, 5 minutes on, 5 minutes off. Only tries and the refs let our players regroup.

Our game awareness at times is pretty low.
Yeah like missing our kicks on 5th inside the opposition’s 20

Without the purchase of a dynamic number 9 and the current centre pairing we are sitting where i expected us to be. Finding plan B for when Tom is shut down was always the challenge. Ola has become plan B and proving to be one of the comps best back rowers but we just lack that extra spark to beat the top 3 or 4.

I think we can beat Souths , even with our current injuries, they aren't anywhere near as good without Reynolds. But even if we beat Souths, we cant touch Panthers or Storm imo. To be fair, i dont think anyone can.

Back on topic, for me the make or break isn't about winning this one. Its about being competitive enough to keep the confidence up and give us some belief for when Tom, Josh A and Josh S come back and give us that extra edge. A win would be very good for confidence though.

Lets see what team Des chooses tomorrow. If a certain centre is chosen my own confidence will drop ..

I've been watching Ewan Aitkin in the second row for the Warriors. He ain't playing badly can rotate between 2nd row and centre. Doesn't want to follow Warriors back to NZ next year. Would come cheap with good experience.

Aitken is a good runner and can’t pass, he also sprints out of the line at centre to take no one. if des keeps Foran, which I fully expect, where do we play all our 2nd towers even without aitken

We don’t need aitken. I rate tuilagi, but I’m not even sure why we signed him, let alone some dude like aitken.

We need fitness, composure, better and targeted tactics, centres, hooker, consistent props and halfback, a good run with injuries And to jettison some deadwood.

I honestly can’t believe how sluggish we look, it’s out biggest issue, we do nothing at pace

I’m just sick of us not being legitimate premiership contenders. Last year felt too good to be true. While we won more games last year, the 2019 side was better. We beat the raiders(grand finalists) twice, beat Melbourne in Melbourne and were robbed against Souths twice. If it wasn’t for injuries, and Gerard Sutton I think we could have won the gf. I’m sick of the mediocrity. Would trade turbo for Tedesco any day.
I agree that the 2019 side was better...we still played well in the games without Turbo. We also had AFB, Koroisau and Fainu, which went a long way to improving things. If there was one weakness, it was probably a foil for DCE at 6.

If we're not careful, if we're not more astute in our retention and recruitment. Our premiership window will close. I have to add that our retention side of things has been very very poor. Yes we have kept the players they wanted, but at what cost?? The balance of the team

Whilst I don’t think it’s make or break I’d expect a fair sort of towelling up in this game.

What we don’t do well is slot in replacements and see them shine.

So I’m expecting an absolute hammering !!

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10