Latu Fainu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Suli managed by Tartak.

Tartak puts squeeze on club for new, larger contract for Suli, club does not comply & releases Suli. Suli hasn’t set the world ablaze at Saints.

Schuster, Olakau’atu & Saab, managed by Tartak.

Tartak puts squeeze on club for upgrades to Schuster, Olakau’atu & Saab. Club upgrades all 3.

3 x Fainus, Fifita & Tuitavake all managed by Tartak.

Tartak puts squeeze on club to release Sione Fainu to Tigers, club complies. Sione hasn’t played first grade yet.

Tartak puts squeeze on club to release Fifita & Tuitavake, club complies. Neither have played first grade yet.

Tartak puts squeeze on club to release Latu Fainu OR club decides it doesn’t want Latu Fainu, club swaps Fainu for Talau (apparently). Rumours are Samuela will follow.

What has the club done wrong here?

It’s kept the 3 players it wanted of the 10 managed by Tartak.

It’s reduced Tartak’s power base & hold over the club by reducing the number of players he can keep squeezing the club for upgrades.

Now Tartak & Fulton can squeeze Tigers dry for upgrades & ruin that club instead of Manly.

Manly were going for Flegler preseason so there obviously is some space under the cap.
Would think however that Olokau - atu and Saab were very deserving of upgrades irrespective who was managing them . Still taken aback the Shu was able to command 800 grand , maybe a couple of other clubs were prepared to offer him big dollars but he was already under contract for 23 and 24 and would seem like serious overs considering all of his form and availability issues last season and continuing into 23 . Sad state of affairs when or if a club C E O can not or gives the impression of not being able to reconcile with the influence of any outside entity or manager and when the best interests of the club are at stake retention wise . Anyway of course Latu has not even got to i st grade level yet but gives every indication of having the right attributes to do well there , Samual already has . Just think that there were better options to get better results in the circumstances , Naturally not aware of all of the inner workings or intentions with the club but the fact that Latu was still under contract for another 2 seasons and Samual maybe needed not that much of an upgrade and both now reside in the Manly area , would seem an easy alternative to keep both for whatever time in the fold .

The kid has talent no doubt but this continual talk about being the highest-paid teenager or for a contract of this size etc. is BS IMO. He is in the second last year of his contract with us and isn't in the top 30 nor a development contract according to the NRL which publishes this info so cant even be on 60k this year. Sounds like a typical agent self-promotion piece. As for his ability, I think he still has a fair way to go, he has always been an exceptional ball runner but still has to develop many of the other attributes of a decent NRL 6.

The kid has talent no doubt but this continual talk about being the highest-paid teenager or for a contract of this size etc. is BS IMO. He is in the second last year of his contract with us and isn't in the top 30 nor a development contract according to the NRL which publishes this info so cant even be on 60k this year. Sounds like a typical agent self-promotion piece. As for his ability, I think he still has a fair way to go, he has always been an exceptional ball runner but still has to develop many of the other attributes of a decent NRL 6.
Latu is in the top 30

I'm fine getting rid of Tartak players but Talau, Woods, Johns are all Isaac Moses, as is Seibold. I don't like this trend at all but at least none of them are good enough for us not to get rid of all of them in one go

source?

NRL website doesn't believe so.

From the club on the 19th of April.

"The 17-year-old is in Manly's full-time NRL top 30 squad this season"

Unless he got shuffled out somehow....

From the club on the 19th of April.

"The 17-year-old is in Manly's full-time NRL top 30 squad this season"

Unless he got shuffled out somehow....
He may have got upgraded when he turned 18 because according to NRL rules

Under current rules, NRL clubs can only sign players to a full-time top-30 or development contract at the age of 18, preventing them from playing NRL until they're adults.

Which given he signed this 4 year deal when he was 16 means he couldn't have had an NRL Top 30 component in it.

What a pity our revolving transfer door is only with the lowly West Tuggers and not with a decent club, like Penrith.
Good point. We are not going to win a premiership if we keep scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I think we got into this position due to shortsightedness/in attention at the top (Penn) which resulted in umpteen CEOs in as many months, which allowed the Fultons & Tartak to get their tentacles in.
I do not like that the Fulton’s have been pushed out of Manly (as Bob is an absolute legend of our club) but I think seriously bad decisions were made within their areas of responsibility during their tenure…

Suli managed by Tartak.

Tartak puts squeeze on club for new, larger contract for Suli, club does not comply & releases Suli. Suli hasn’t set the world ablaze at Saints.

Schuster, Olakau’atu & Saab, managed by Tartak.

Tartak puts squeeze on club for upgrades to Schuster, Olakau’atu & Saab. Club upgrades all 3.

3 x Fainus, Fifita & Tuitavake all managed by Tartak.

Tartak puts squeeze on club to release Sione Fainu to Tigers, club complies. Sione hasn’t played first grade yet.

Tartak puts squeeze on club to release Fifita & Tuitavake, club complies. Neither have played first grade yet.

Tartak puts squeeze on club to release Latu Fainu OR club decides it doesn’t want Latu Fainu, club swaps Fainu for Talau (apparently). Rumours are Samuela will follow.

What has the club done wrong here?

It’s kept the 3 players it wanted of the 10 managed by Tartak.

It’s reduced Tartak’s power base & hold over the club by reducing the number of players he can keep squeezing the club for upgrades.

Now Tartak & Fulton can squeeze Tigers dry for upgrades & ruin that club instead of Manly.

Manly were going for Flegler preseason so there obviously is some space under the cap.

you need to settle the hell down @47MVEagle
How DARE you make sense on this thread.... this thread is put aside for bickering and name calling.
You're ruining the vibe with your accurate, concise summary of the facts and reasonable statements.

If you keep this up, I will be forced to hit the ignore button!

A large issue that I see is that we have too many big units that go missing when they are tired…

we lack the Joel Thompson or Curtis Sironen (before he got injured) or Watmough or Shane Rodney type players that are ultra fit and can continually grind for long periods, are safe with the ball (watmough maybe not so much) and can produce outstanding plays and extra efforts despite being gassed…
Spot on. Look at what the Warriors have done this season - kept their core of big, rampaging players but surrounded them with hard-working grafters who always turn up with the right intent.

“Woods will depart at the end of this season, as will Johns, freeing up 2 top 30 spots & some salary cap.”
It's all in the mathematics.

Woods and Cooper currently take up two spots in our roster. Woods costs us nothing and Johns is on a minimum contract. Sum total equals one minimum contract.

Woods and Johns depart and we need to fill those two spots. To do so we must acquire two players. If both players are given minimum contracts the sum total is twice what it was.

Woods and Cooper won't free up any salary cap space when they depart at seasons end.

Woods and Cooper currently take up two spots in our roster. Woods costs us nothing and Johns is on a minimum contract. Sum total equals one minimum contract.

Woods and Johns depart and we need to fill those two spots. To do so we must acquire two players. If both players are given minimum contracts the sum total is twice what it was.

Woods and Cooper won't free up any salary cap space when they depart at seasons end.

Either you overthink things or are being deliberately obtuse trying to start an argument, biff.

When Woods & Johns depart, they will free up 2 top 30 spots.

When Johns departs, it will free up some salary cap.

Simple as that.

Either you overthink things or are being deliberately obtuse trying to start an argument, biff.

When Woods & Johns depart, they will free up 2 top 30 spots.

When Johns departs, it will free up some salary cap.

Simple as that.
No, I am not being deliberately annoying or slow to understand. I was merely pointing out your error is all. The fact that you are holding up a fallacious mathematical error as the foundation of your position suggests you might be wanting an argument. Let me present it to you another way.

Presently we have,

Woods (zero cost) + Johns (minimum contract) = 1 minimum contract

When both players depart we need to replace them with two players,

Player one (minimum contract) + player two (minimum contract) = 2 minimum contracts.

If Woods or Cooper were on a larger contract then you would have made a valid point regarding freeing up some salary cap space. I was just trying to explain it to you rationally. I never called you names or used abusive language.

Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker who was compelled to register to post my disgust and displeasure at the club for releasing Latu and formalising potentially the worst trade deal ever in the history of the NRL... Honestly I don't know how we've managed to put ourselves in this predicament.... Since PrideGate we have made poor decision after poor decision. The final nail in the coffin... Let's release a potential once in a generation player for two Balmain rejects...Latu has been paid handsomely as a junior prospect and just as he starts to grow into his body we let him go without a fight for a slow injury prone back with a case of sausage fingers worse than King Charles, who couldn't even make the starting spot at the Wooden spooners.... Don't get me started on Brooks.....A Half Back who holds the record for most games without ever playing finals football and no rep honours.... This is a bad dream, however I keep pinching myself and I'm not waking up from it.

As the great man once said "There needs to be an investigation"

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8