Latu Fainu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Suli managed by Tartak.

Tartak puts squeeze on club for new, larger contract for Suli, club does not comply & releases Suli. Suli hasn’t set the world ablaze at Saints.

Schuster, Olakau’atu & Saab, managed by Tartak.

Tartak puts squeeze on club for upgrades to Schuster, Olakau’atu & Saab. Club upgrades all 3.

3 x Fainus, Fifita & Tuitavake all managed by Tartak.

Tartak puts squeeze on club to release Sione Fainu to Tigers, club complies. Sione hasn’t played first grade yet.

Tartak puts squeeze on club to release Fifita & Tuitavake, club complies. Neither have played first grade yet.

Tartak puts squeeze on club to release Latu Fainu OR club decides it doesn’t want Latu Fainu, club swaps Fainu for Talau (apparently). Rumours are Samuela will follow.

What has the club done wrong here?

It’s kept the 3 players it wanted of the 10 managed by Tartak.

It’s reduced Tartak’s power base & hold over the club by reducing the number of players he can keep squeezing the club for upgrades.

Now Tartak & Fulton can squeeze Tigers dry for upgrades & ruin that club instead of Manly.

Manly were going for Flegler preseason so there obviously is some space under the cap.
Yeah thats all well and good.. but now were doing the same with Moses.

Signing even worse players than the ones we let go. Woods.. Arthur.. Talau.. Brooks? How is what we are doing any better? we just seem to be following down the same path. Allbeit we are letting go potential stars for proven average players.

No, I am not being deliberately annoying or slow to understand. I was merely pointing out your error is all. The fact that you are holding up a fallacious mathematical error as the foundation of your position suggests you might be wanting an argument. Let me present it to you another way.

Presently we have,

Woods (zero cost) + Johns (minimum contract) = 1 minimum contract

When both players depart we need to replace them with two players,

Player one (minimum contract) + player two (minimum contract) = 2 minimum contracts.

If Woods or Cooper were on a larger contract then you would have made a valid point regarding freeing up some salary cap space. I was just trying to explain it to you rationally. I never called you names or used abusive language.
If Johns is on $1 & he leaves at the end of the year, it frees up $1 of our salary cap.

That’s all I was saying, biff.

Suli managed by Tartak.

Tartak puts squeeze on club for new, larger contract for Suli, club does not comply & releases Suli. Suli hasn’t set the world ablaze at Saints.

Schuster, Olakau’atu & Saab, managed by Tartak.

Tartak puts squeeze on club for upgrades to Schuster, Olakau’atu & Saab. Club upgrades all 3.

3 x Fainus, Fifita & Tuitavake all managed by Tartak.

Tartak puts squeeze on club to release Sione Fainu to Tigers, club complies. Sione hasn’t played first grade yet.

Tartak puts squeeze on club to release Fifita & Tuitavake, club complies. Neither have played first grade yet.

Tartak puts squeeze on club to release Latu Fainu OR club decides it doesn’t want Latu Fainu, club swaps Fainu for Talau (apparently). Rumours are Samuela will follow.

What has the club done wrong here?

It’s kept the 3 players it wanted of the 10 managed by Tartak.

It’s reduced Tartak’s power base & hold over the club by reducing the number of players he can keep squeezing the club for upgrades.

Now Tartak & Fulton can squeeze Tigers dry for upgrades & ruin that club instead of Manly.

Manly were going for Flegler preseason so there obviously is some space under the cap.
That doesn't answer anything about how or who were gonna do a rebuild with as per my original post. That's just recapping an opinionised summary of why said players have left. Its all well and good getting rid of players due to whatever reasons behind them, but what's the plan beyond that. As far as I can tell were about 7 players short of a top 30 spot next yr.

Quality post though

That doesn't answer anything about how or who were gonna do a rebuild with as per my original post. That's just recapping an opinionised summary of why said players have left. Its all well and good getting rid of players due to whatever reasons behind them, but what's the plan beyond that. As far as I can tell were about 7 players short of a top 30 spot next yr
Yep, you've always got to replace them.

The kid has talent no doubt but this continual talk about being the highest-paid teenager or for a contract of this size etc. is BS IMO. He is in the second last year of his contract with us and isn't in the top 30 nor a development contract according to the NRL which publishes this info so cant even be on 60k this year. Sounds like a typical agent self-promotion piece. As for his ability, I think he still has a fair way to go, he has always been an exceptional ball runner but still has to develop many of the other attributes of a decent NRL 6.
I think a lot of forumers get caught up in unsubstantiated reports on who is earning what.

Even in the rip roaring Scott Fulton era, I find it hard to believe we would be paying a rawboned teenager 350k a year.

I dead set give up. Just a word of advice, ALWAYS get an accountant to do your tax returns, and defer the management of all general household finances to your husband or wife.
There you go biff, throwing insults when you don’t get your way 😂

You’d try to start an argument in an empty room.

Just remember:

1 - 1 = 0.

Anything else after that is up to you, but the fact remains that 1 - 1 = 0.

I don’t agree we have replaced a Tartak problem with a Moses problem. The players mentioned as being in the Moses stable are on short term, low value contracts.

The problem with having too many players with the one manager arises when you have several players on mid to high value contracts. That was the issue with the Broncos. If Moses says to Manly, I’m going to move Woods, Arthur, Talau and Johns unless you sign player x or give player y an upgrade, I think we will be ok.

From now on I think it should be mandatory on Silvertails that whenever a poster suggests we sign a particular player that we also know who his manager is, in order to make a valued judgement. Frankly, a manager seems to be even more important these days than the client.

Just remember:

1 - 1 = 0.

I might be tempted to discuss the semantics of what quantifies as an insult, or a scornfully disrespectful remark, if not for this whole freeing up our cap space exchange. Although, the irony of you highlighting simple math in an attempt to label me ignorant is amusing.

From now on I think it should be mandatory on Silvertails that whenever a poster suggests we sign a particular player that we also know who his manager is, in order to make a valued judgement. Frankly, a manager seems to be even more important these days than the client.
The problem isn't so much with doing business with player managers - they are a necessary evil at every club. Our problem is that we've given the agents control over our recruitment as a whole, instead of taking responsibility for it ourselves.

The problem isn't so much with doing business with player managers - they are a necessary evil at every club. Our problem is that we've given the agents control over our recruitment as a whole, instead of taking responsibility for it ourselves.
Ron, Manly has become NRL Cluedo.

I read all the posts last night about Latu where there was much conjecture from a lot and then some that appeared to have some sort of inside knowledge but couldn't or wouldn't divulge. I came away none the wiser.

I just wanted a simple answer of - was all this Manlys fault coz they have incompetent management, a tight bum owner, an attempt to wipe out Tartaks influence. Or the Fainu's fault coz they were ungrateful, greedy or disillutioned. There were counter comments about Manly that a clean out was needed and this was just part of it to get the club control back. And counter comments about the Fainu's being a quality family or some such thing. I didn't quite get the relevance of that or what the criteria of a quality family was. I wouldn't know them if I fell over them and I can only assume they're just like most families that care about their kids - even if one happens to have been convicted of trying to stab someone to death. That's gotta be tough for any family.

But at the end of the night I was just left wondering who did it.

I was left thinking:

Was it Penn in the palour with the rope?
Was it Mestrov in the kitchen with a pistol
Was it Seibold in the study with a candlestick?

Or was it a mystery man in the car park with ........... yeah, ok, let's not go there.

Or maybe it is more a Scooby Doo mystery and at the end of all this, Mestrov's mask will be pulled off and the villain will be revealed as Old Man Tartak. And he'll say "and I would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling Silvertails!!"

I just want this game to end so I can go back to watching my footy team play some good footy. I'm a simple man with simple requests.

I think a lot of forumers get caught up in unsubstantiated reports on who is earning what.

Even in the rip roaring Scott Fulton era, I find it hard to believe we would be paying a rawboned teenager 350k a year.
I remember seeing Mario Tartak post on his IG 1m over 4 years when Latu signed that deal ,ergo its 250k PA

I remember seeing Mario Tartak post on his IG 1m over 4 years when Latu signed that deal ,ergo its 250k PA

I vaguely recall that too

I also recall that at the time of signing, it was suggested that we were throwing money at the Fainu family to show that we cared, and that if/when the criminal got off his charges, he should stay with manly because of the way we have supported the whole family. By paying Latu as a junior, it was not treated as a salary cap payment, and as such we could afford to pay overs and not have it work against us from a cap perspective (this was the scuttlebutt at the time - never validated of course).

It seems we no longer feel the need to sweeten the family deal any more, and are happy to get it off our books.

I think some people are associating his price tag with his performance/potential.... but I actually think the price tag was inflated for other reasons.

We have lost a junior who has been in our system for a few years because of our investment in the western suburbs. He has never come close to first grade, and mroe than likely (given the deal he was on) his money would have caused us a problem when he turned 18 and made the FG squad.

We are replacing potential, with actual proven quality.

Thanks for your service and time. Best of luck at Wests buddy. Sorry that our club invested so much time, money and heartache in this debacle.

Just remember:

1 - 1 = 0.

A squad needs to have 30 players in it.

So any minimum wage earner who leaves will be replaced by a minimum wage earner.

So by opening up a space in the squad I guess you can argue them leaving opens up cap space to sign another minimum wage earner.

But in real terms them moving on does nothing to alleviate any cap pressure.

To your analogy you arent deducting 1 from 1.....you are just going out and finding a different 1

I vaguely recall that too

I also recall that at the time of signing, it was suggested that we were throwing money at the Fainu family to show that we cared, and that if/when the criminal got off his charges, he should stay with manly because of the way we have supported the whole family. By paying Latu as a junior, it was not treated as a salary cap payment, and as such we could afford to pay overs and not have it work against us from a cap perspective (this was the scuttlebutt at the time - never validated of course).

It seems we no longer feel the need to sweeten the family deal any more, and are happy to get it off our books.

I think some people are associating his price tag with his performance/potential.... but I actually think the price tag was inflated for other reasons.

We have lost a junior who has been in our system for a few years because of our investment in the western suburbs. He has never come close to first grade, and mroe than likely (given the deal he was on) his money would have caused us a problem when he turned 18 and made the FG squad.

We are replacing potential, with actual proven quality.

Thanks for your service and time. Best of luck at Wests buddy. Sorry that our club invested so much time, money and heartache in this debacle.
Yep, that’s the impression I got too, that his salary was (at least partly) a show of financial support for the family while Manase was awaiting trial.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10