John Bonasera

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

In the email, Bonasera says: “It was always painted as ‘Everyone in League’ to me. I genuinely don’t even remember this email.

“I should have engaged other people in the conversation from football before letting it go to production. We have worn several other one-off jerseys in recent weeks. I missed this as significant.

“I knew I would miss something one day [in fact I told you that I would] as I have been putting one foot in front of the other for quite a while – not thinking just doing and it’s my job to think and mitigate circumstances such as this in advance.

“I apologise for putting us in this position and understand the potential ramifications. Thanks for always supporting me.”

....How has he not been sacked? On top of approving the jersey for the club to wear he then verbatim admits that he doesn't think and that he knew he would make a serious error.

How is his position in the club now not completely untenable?

Last edited:

In the email, Bonasera says: “It was always painted as ‘Everyone in League’ to me. I genuinely don’t even remember this email.

“I should have engaged other people in the conversation from football before letting it go to production. We have worn several other one-off jerseys in recent weeks. I missed this as significant.

“I knew I would miss something one day [in fact I told you that I would] as I have been putting one foot in front of the other for quite a while – not thinking just doing and it’s my job to think and mitigate circumstances such as this in advance.

“I apologise for putting us in this position and understand the potential ramifications. Thanks for always supporting me.”

....How has he not been sacked? He verbatim admits that he doesn't think and that he's out of his depth.
As far as I’m concerned,the only line in this Weidler story that matters to me,is “We have worn several other one-off jerseys in recent weeks.”The rest is just about Des getting what he thinks he deserves in a payout.Im sick of seeing 6+ different jerseys every year.If the club is serious about returning to a powerhouse of the comp,on and off the field,they’ll sort out the boardroom mess

....How has he not been sacked? On top of approving the jersey for the club to wear he then verbatim admits that he doesn't think and that he knew he would make a serious error.

If he had any pride ( no pun intended)… he should resign… that email shows he is not up to it!

Just sayin’

Hard to know. It may not be about his work ethic, or the way the place is run.
Maybe he had something happening outside of work that was affecting him? I'm sure most of us have had something happen in our personal lives which can have an effect on your mindset at work.

Hard to know. It may not be about his work ethic, or the way the place is run.
Maybe he had something happening outside of work that was affecting him? I'm sure most of us have had something happen in our personal lives which can have an effect on your mindset at work.
Or maybe it seriously didn't occur to him that, in 2022, it would be an issue.
Perhaps he was just telling his truth as an enlightened man.

If he isn't sacked it's because Penn likes him. It looks to me like Hasler was made scapegoat to save someone else's a$$. The politics at play at this club will eventually show up again in the future under Penn.

still would not have made any difference to the players missing that Roosters game, just the issue being a problem a bit earlier . Bit of a break down in internal club communication and management but hard to accept that Des was not aware or least had some knowledge of the jersey promotional exercise before ithe controversy really kicked in . When was that promotional photo shot taken with Garrick , Keppie and was it Croker ? publicly wearing the pride or inclusion jerseys . Some days i think before the issue become a real talking point or point of contention .

Because he didn’t piss Penn off, Hasler did. Plus John conveniently helped set in train the events that allowed Penn to ease Hasler.

However yes, Bonasera should get a ‘Good evening John’ email.

Last edited:
This would not have happened if the club was not so rapacious about making a buck; changing jerseys every few weeks just to suck money from rusted-ons like us.
Do you think the club has learnt its lesson, or in 2023 will we again only wear our traditional jersey when we can't get some mug sponsor to pay for having its own bastardised version?

What I took from the story is that John Bonasera was under a work load he could not adequately handle. So who is at fault? John, Scott or Des. My guess the first two. How often does this happen, a company under staffed, stuff happens and the person working there butt off to keep up has the finger pointed at him/her. The email is worth $1m.. imho

If he isn't sacked it's because Penn likes him. It looks to me like Hasler was made scapegoat to save someone else's a$$. The politics at play at this club will eventually show up again in the future under Penn.
Or he has photos of Penn and the goat

Seriously everyone should be concerned about next year

Coach hasn't been appointed yet If Seibold he won't be here until late November at the earliest

No word on assistant coaches or strength and conditioning staff We will be behind the other teams right from the start

More players leaving than signed for next year No time for the new coach to work on recruitment for 2023

The magnificent 7 still haven't publicly explained their actions or confirmed that the divide between the players has been resolved Can the divide in the players ever be overcome?

What I took from the story is that John Bonasera was under a work load he could not adequately handle. So who is at fault? John, Scott or Des. My guess the first two. How often does this happen, a company under staffed, stuff happens and the person working there butt off to keep up has the finger pointed at him/her. The email is worth $1m.. imho

What extra work load was req'd ... a possible 2 minutes to think about it ... remember the Folau clusterfukk and the support he had from the Islanders ... then hit the "forward email" button to Des and other members of the football dept as a heads up ....

Grand total of 2 minutes work and one button pressed ...

Last edited:

So just like Toovey you mean..

Oh i forgot "its a results driven business" as they said in July 2015 when announcing Barrett as coach for 2016. Now just a bit more detailed look at Tooveys results to that point.

2012 4th - beaten in GF Qualifier
2013 4th - beaten by Chooks in GF
2014 2nd - beaten by Dogs by a point to go into GF qualifier.

Why do I keep dragging up the past????

So just like Toovey you mean..

Oh i forgot "its a results driven business" as they said in July 2015 when announcing Barrett as coach for 2016. Now just a bit more detailed look at Tooveys results to that point.

2012 4th - beaten in GF Qualifier
2013 4th - beaten by Chooks in GF
2014 2nd - beaten by Dogs by a point to go into GF qualifier.

Why do I keep dragging up the past????
Because it remains pertinent.

Don’t understand how Des can apparently still make a claim that he was not informed about the jersey when clearly it has come down to human error within his own department. I don’t see how he can make the club accountable for this and ask for compensation whether it can be proven the that the pride jersey impacted our season or not..

Weird email. That is the sort of mea culpa best delivered verbally in person.

It seems a little too neat to me. Here is the email Danny! Voila.
That email was bull**** ..... That fella is taking a bullet for Dessie.

Regardless, the buck stopped with Dessie anyway, isn't he that dudes boss?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4