John Bonasera

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It is a tough one

I have had someone in my team make a 250k mistake for which I had to speak to the board at a Woolworths board meeting about - we did not fire them as it was a process issue.

As with many things on here we are making assumptions without knowing many if any details.

Was it part of his JD to make those calls? Was there a process to be followed?

Mate I would agree 100% with you ... but in this instance there are only a couple of people in the office ... not 1000's of employees across 6 states .. it's a small family owned business ... if the head of football in a 2 man office can't communicate with the bloke he is sharing an office with ... we are all doomed ...

However, for mine his greatest failing was to not even consider that there may be a problem ... after the Folau contretemps, and the reported support he had from many of the Islander players .... you would have to have a pumpkin for a head not to take that under advisement .. and give a heads up, to consult with the players ... to simply respond that he didn't see a problem puts it down to total incompetence ...

Mate I would agree 100% with you ... but in this instance there are only a couple of people in the office ... not 1000's of employees across 6 states .. it's a small family owned business ... if the head of football in a 2 man office can't communicate with the bloke he is sharing an office with ... we are all doomed ...

However, for mine his greatest failing was to not even consider that there may be a problem ... after the Folau contretemps, and the reported support he had from many of the Islander players .... you would have to have a pumpkin for a head not to take that under advisement .. and give a heads up, to consult with the players ... to simply respond that he didn't see a problem puts it down to total incompetence ...
To be honest in this day and age I can understand why he might feel that way.

Like I said overall it is all conjecture and the fact that we only have a couple of people in an office leads me to same conclusion I have had the whole way through the affair - the lack of governance / investment may not have created the issue but it meant the relevant controls were missing

Who will be directing the players come first week of pre season ?
The nightmare team are back lol

1666054038274.png

To be honest in this day and age I can understand why he might feel that way.

Like I said overall it is all conjecture and the fact that we only have a couple of people in an office leads me to same conclusion I have had the whole way through the affair - the lack of governance / investment may not have created the issue but it meant the relevant controls were missing

Why are we talking about a couple of people in the office? We are somewhat under-resourced, but things haven't gotten that bad yet. :cool: We may have been a bloody joke across the whole organisation, led by a head office that has been inept for years. However, this incompetence by JB was pretty extreme, even by Manly standards.

Last edited:
Yes, that whole photo shoot thing just doesn't sit right. I just find it implausible that there wasn't chatter amongst the group about how they had done the shoot, the look of the jumper or what it was for. But then, maybe they really DON'T like each other much and so don't talk. But anyway ........
Or maybe quite a few and especially the younger brigade just did not regard the matter as that important until the or an apparent spiritual leader chose to elevate the matter to a more focused level

Or maybe quite a few and especially the younger brigade just did not regard the matter as that important until the or an apparent spiritual leader chose to elevate the matter to a more focused level

What ... they slept through the Israel Folau drama over the past 4 years ... that nearly saw Rugby Australia bankrupted ...

Folau raised millions from a gofundme from the thousands of the religious Islanders in weeks ...

To not be aware of a potential problem when you are the football manager to a team with 50% Islanders would be unbelievable .. and inexcusable ..

What ... they slept through the Israel Folau drama over the past 4 years ... that nearly saw Rugby Australia bankrupted ...

Folau raised millions from a gofundme from the thousands of the religious Islanders in weeks ...

To not be aware of a potential problem when you are the football manager to a team with 50% Islanders would be unbelievable .. and inexcusable ..
It was a case of dumb and dumber all round at Manly

See the source image

If you were describing any demographic other than one that contained up to 50% religious Islanders that write "Jesus" on their wrists and pray together after games ... I would agree with you ..
Lets not go down this rabbit hole again!

From @Koko22 in another thread

UNDER FIRE STAFFER SURVIVES MANLY PURGE

Manly aren’t expected to appoint a head of football – but one person who is expected to survive the carnage at the club is John Bonasera. Bonasera was dragged into the headlines in recent weeks after it emerged he was the staff member informed of the club’s inclusivity jersey intentions.

He is expected to remain as the club’s football manager.

Scott Fulton will remain in charge of the club’s recruitment while chief executive Tony Mestrov will also play an active role in retention and recruitment.

Meanwhile, incoming coach Anthony Seibold is piecing together his coaching team with Jim Dymock identified as a potential option along with premiership winning coach Shane Flanagan.

Random thoughts..

Given the threat of Dessie suing over Jerseygate... would you keep on an employee who was likely to confirm Dessie's version of events against you in a court room.?

Or does it mean his story will align with the clubs position?
Or he is being rewarded for his oversight - which inadvertently assisted management in finding an excuse to ditch Hasler.

Last edited:
Random thoughts..

Given the threat of Dessie suing over Jerseygate... would you keep on an employee who was likely to confirm Dessie's version of events against you in a court room.?

Or does it mean his story will align with the clubs position?
Netflix should do one of their "Untold" series docos on Manly. It’d rate thru the roof. Getting to the truth would read like a Stephen King novel. Clowns and lots of blood.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7