Is Axing Saab the answer ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We all have Party lines and mine is

Speed kills and the faster you go the bigger the mediocre slow striding snails you leave behind . Because if you dont have the fcking pace . You are not in the fcking race :)

Hey the only party line I can recall was when you were on the phone and everyone in the district knew your business. :party:

original.gif

3xc1.gif

Here you go @ManEagle ..

For the Numbnuts ... I have been constant in my opinion that Saab is far from being a complete footballer ... As long as his attacking strengths out weigh his other shortcomings .. happy days.

Jason Saab ... Half yearly Report Card.

Running in a straight line and putting the ball down ... 95/100 ... excellent
Defusing bombs .... 85/100 .... very good
Kick return metres .... 45/100 ... poor
Defensive reads and positioning ..... 54/100 ... needs improvement
Tackling effectiveness and technique ... 32/100 ... very very poor
Effectiveness under attacking bomb ... 10/100 ... very poor
Attitude and playing with others .... 93/100 ... very good and a redeeming quality

In July last year I penned this report on Saab ... which met with the usual nonsense ..

I am wondering how well or otherwise views have matured.

Saab, my favourite Manly player last year. I loved watching him running fast or jumping high to score meat pies. Hopefully, the party begins soon....

Well,. as a more mature reply - no don't sack Saab, he's well worth persevering with, has the ability to be a match-winner. The conditions haven't really suited him so far this year. But ...if the weather stays like this permanently then that would be a significant problem!

The saying horses for courses was coined for this guy ( if he were a horse)

A large enough sample size says he should only be picked in dry, daytime games against lesser opposition. He is far to meek for mine and ain’t got enough strings to his bow at this stage, it’s a shame as the pace and aerial threat are a real asset.

The kid just needs to get himself on the scoreboard to get some confidence back. He could have got one last night but couldn't ground the drubber from DCE. He should have also caught the speccie cross field kick from DCE...admittedly if DCE launches it downfield and not straight across the field Saab would just just coasted past Gagai and had an open line...

Stick with him for now. If this rain evenutally pee's off and Tom comes back the try scoring flood gates could re-open. He's not the perfect winger but height and speed like this is so so rare, you have to try and utilize it. He needs to be watching and studying Daniel Tupou every week and just sponge what he does.

I honestly don't think Saab has played all that badly to be dropped.

His defence has been mostly solid. He's been peppered with bombs all season so far and I can only recall him dropping 2, both in the rain. Sure he hasn't scored, but I don't recall him getting many chances to either. And while he's not the best at doing it (largely because despite his height, he's a lightweight), he's been more than willing to take early tackle hit ups.

IIRC, people were calling for Reuben Garrick's head in 2020 after his stellar opening year, and look how that has turned out. Seems the same is happening to Saab. Unless he's scoring 2 or 3 runaway tries each week, people aren't happy.

Having his type of pace on the wing is a bonus. But if he doesn't get the chance to use it in attack, it can be the biggest curse because that is all the fans and media want to see, that pace. And unfortunately for the player, if the pace is not being shown every week its usually (and often wrongly) interpreted that he is out of form.

Last edited:
DES persisted with him last year which makes me think, DES will again give him plenty more games to find his confidence.

But would I swap him for Koula on the wing against the Tits? Hmm.

1. Tom's out. That is huge. It changes how we attack. So we now don't have a ball playing fullback. Tom mainly puts him in clean air. His strength, that speed won't get as many opportunities to shine.

2. So let's Forget last years form and just balance the pros and cons.

3. Second year syndrome. Teams are taking advantage of Saab's weaknesses ATM. Woodsie lists them even gives them a rating which seems pretty accurate. So his game has a couple of things which can be improved. But the big one, his weakness are being exploited right now.

4. Who else then?. Koula his confidence will be up from a good showing against Raiders at centre. Tippy toes probably did out perform Saab on a wing against the Knights.

5. Koula got speed as well. So if you think he has the edge in kick returns and use of his body in the air it seems easy decision on that flank.

6. Other considerations. So if tom's out. We have a fillin fullback. Is that the time to give two rookie wingers there crack? Makes it a very inexperienced back 3?

No. Just not the right time. The stability to the team and relative experience of Saab on that wing wins out, this week.

But as the most experienced of the back 3 playing in his spot. Really need him to lead by example against the TITS.

Last edited:
As of last night, the experience of those in our squad who can reasonably be considered a fullback, centre or winger (or any combination of) is as follows:

Dylan Walker (166)
Jorge Taufua (163)
Tom Trbojevic (118)
Brad Parker (92)
Reuben Garrick (75)
Jason Saab (39)
Morgan Harper (34)
Ben Trbojevic (4)
Christian Tuipulotu (3)
Tolutau Koula (2)
Kaeo Weekes (0)

Saab is going fine. 2nd year syndrome where all clubs know him,so they are bringing tactics along to unsettle him.

Remember a kid called Reuben Garrick? Most wanted him punted in his 2nd year in 2020. Nobody is saying that now.

Give Saab time and he will be better than ever.

Koula is too short for wing and centre is his spot.

Not yet. His presence causes defensive lines concern creating space inside. He does need to work on his defence and getting low to cover up grubber kicks.

Not yet. His presence causes defensive lines concern creating space inside. He does need to work on his defence and getting low to cover up grubber kicks.
Yeah he is good in the air however alarm bells ring when a grubber is kicked in his direction. 🤦‍♂️

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8