Hodkinson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Carney and Hodkinson are or were being chased largely for 'insurance' purposes.

I thought Hastings would get first shot, and he still may, but noises around the club are pointing to Croker.

Even if Croker succeeds it's a tall order to expect him to play all 26 rounds, plus finals. And that's not even allowing for the fact he has a total of only 38 minutes in 1st grade, nor his horrendous injury history.

We definitely need some experienced backup. (Whatever happened to Jeff Robson?)
The 35 year old Robson has retired

Looks like we're still keen on Hodko...

https://realsport101.com/news/sport...manly-sea-eagles-still-chasing-halves-option/

Manly Sea Eagles still chasing halves option

The Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles are still hopeful of bringing in an experienced halves partner for Daly Cherry-Evans ahead of the 2018 season.

by Daniel Lang
Jan 29, 2018Jan 29, 2018

Brookvale_Oval_2-768x576.jpg

Picture Credit: CK10

Manly supremo Lyall Gorman has confirmed the club remain intent on signing former Sea Eagle Trent Hodkinson to partner Daly Cherry-Evans this season.

What looked like a fairly straightforward recruitment of Hodkinson from the Newcastle Knights took a sharp turn when the club found themselves under investigation and issued with notices over salary cap concerns.

As things stand, it is believed the club are in position to offer their former player a contract, but cannot proceed until the NRL and salary cap auditors are satisfied that the club are salary cap compliant for the 2018 season.

The return of a prodigal son
Hodkinson, who spent time with the club from 2009 when he played for the team’s Queensland Cup feeder team through to 2010 where he played 24 games for the club before a controversial switch to Belmore to link up with the Canterbury Bulldogs.

The halfback spent five seasons at the Bulldogs, including four under former Manly mentor Des Hasler before making the move north to Newcastle ahead of the 2016 season.

The NRL Integrity Unit, the team tasked with investigating the breaches are back at work over the next week or two and will clearly take some time to review Manly’s response to the breach notice and conduct the next stages of the investigation. Until such time as the investigation is complete, the NRL wouldn’t register any new contracts submitted by the club.

The Sea Eagles announced they had signed former Dragons backrower Joel Thompson on a two-year deal late last year, but that contract remains in limbo.

Moving forward, the Sea Eagles remain desperate to find an experienced, viable halves partner for Daly Cherry-Evans after releasing Blake Green at the end of the 2017 season.

Green out, but who comes in?
Green left the club to take up a lucrative three-year deal with the New Zealand Warriors while the Sea Eagles had expected to initially replace him with Mitchell Pearce. Once Pearce left the Roosters, however, he signed with the Knights, making Trent Hodkinson the odd man out in the Hunter and the perfect target for the Sea Eagles.

At last word, the Knights expect Hodkinson to be at the club through to the end of his current contract in 2018, but inside word suggests they would happily free up salary cap space by allowing him to link up with his former club on the northern beaches.

Should the Sea Eagles miss out on snaring Hodkinson, options to play in the halves with Cherry-Evans appear slim and unappealing. The club signed youngster Lachlan Croker from the Raiders and have Jackson Hastings on their books, as well as boom rookie Tom Wright emerging, but an experienced short-term option would still be the most attractive for coach Trent Barrett and his staff.

Perhaps player/coach..? He’d be faster than Hodgkinson.

I think Coach Trent would still out run 'Hodko' Trent too.
If they bring the nines back next year I'd like to see the player/coach thing come back and have T-Baz run out for a few sets!
Then we can finally say he's a former Manly player like so many people always wanted

I think Coach Trent would still out run 'Hodko' Trent too.
If they bring the nines back next year I'd like to see the player/coach thing come back and have T-Baz run out for a few sets!
Then we can finally say he's a former Manly player like so many people always wanted
The man’s a turtle... oh well, at least we’ll have one halfback capable of running.

[QUOTE="Spartan Eagle, post: 985136, member: 274

As things stand, it is believed the club are in position to offer their former player a contract, but cannot proceed until the NRL and salary cap auditors are satisfied

The NRL Integrity Unit will clearly take some time to review Manly’s response to the breach notice and conduct the next stages of the investigation. Until such time as the investigation is complete, the NRL wouldn’t register any new contracts submitted by the club.

The Sea Eagles announced they had signed former Dragons backrower Joel Thompson on a two-year deal late last year, but that contract remains in limbo.
[/QUOTE]

Nothing short of blackmail

[QUOTE="Spartan Eagle, post: 985136, member: 274

As things stand, it is believed the club are in position to offer their former player a contract, but cannot proceed until the NRL and salary cap auditors are satisfied

The NRL Integrity Unit will clearly take some time to review Manly’s response to the breach notice and conduct the next stages of the investigation. Until such time as the investigation is complete, the NRL wouldn’t register any new contracts submitted by the club.

Nothing short of blackmail[/QUOTE]
Disgraceful.

The big problem is injury cover.
If DCE goes down with another ankle injury for five or so weeks, our halves depth is horribly exposed.
We need to manufacture a 5/8 as additional cover.... eg Sirro / Matt Wright

It has been said many times before, over this and many other threads.

Manly need 1 experienced half to cover DCE, not Croker or Hastings, or whoever else is in line.

But the "give the kids a chance", "lets get behind those kids", "Hodko and Carney are short term options and waste of cap space"
don't see that DCE is possibly injured/ rep selected for multiple weeks.

Carney or Hodgkinson are needed. Just not for what most people think they are for.

Been saying that all along. If Cherry gets injured or Qld have an injury crisis to the point where they are forced to pick him (lets face it, they won't otherwise).....we literally have no seasoned, experienced cover.

Worst case scenario.....DCE does his ACL or shoulder in Round 1 (a-la Snake and Wolfman 2010). Do we then go through the season with just Hastings and Croker or even Tom Wright, Dylan Walker, Siro or someone like Api as the main halves? We'd be screwed before we even started.

Right now Manly have 1 experienced half and a pile of youthful potential. Lose that experienced half and we have to rely on stop gap others while possibly weakening other positions as well and that rarely works out well.

Not exactly a cheering thought is it. Believe it, there are more reason's we were chasing Pearce, Hodkinson and Carney than just to have them play 5/8 (or halfback) alongside Cherry. They are experience to lead the side should something happen that means he's not available for selection.

Last edited:
Delete if not allowed.. Fellow silvertails I'll be off the air for a bit , the old black dog has bit my daughter .. I may be scrolling to see whats happening with our boys , but wont be commenting much as im gutted . Take it easy silvertails.

Delete if not allowed.. Fellow silvertails I'll be off the air for a bit , the old black dog has bit my daughter .. I may be scrolling to see whats happening with our boys , but wont be commenting much as im gutted . Take it easy silvertails.

Shiit! Good luck mate and best wishes ... be strong.

All the best mate. Hope it works out.

All the best mate

No good Brad. Sorry to hear that take care.

Hope things turn around for your daughter soon.

Good luck Brad, you are a good man and father to support your daughter in her hour of need. I hope for you both to overcome this terrible time in her life.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8