Hodkinson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Can’t beleive hodge is asking for 800k. The fact that the wooden soooners will pay 400k to get rid kid says something.

Still it’s not an either / or choice for manly (if carny is taboo). So better to have him then not.

See that article suggests to me that Hodgkinson to Manly is as good as Done. It's just the NRL penalty which might up set the apple cart. The clubs response should be in soon.

Pleased that he is going to the Sharks and not us. Yes, its more pressure on Croker/Hastings, but its possible that one or both could thrive under that pressure in 2018.

Lets back these guys to step up in the trials and compete for that vacant 5/8 spot. If that happens, and both are playing to their undoubted potential, then we keep them both in the 17 into the season.

Yes, i know one or both could get injured, and we need cover in the halves, but surely T. Wright/Metcalf could be that cover?

NRL Updates
Trent Hodkinson's move to Manly appears to be off. Rumours emerging that the Cronulla Sharks are set to sign him with Newcastle paying a portion of his contract still.
I'm Ok with that. I can't see the value in Hodko to be honest, and that's no slight on his ability. If we aren't going top shelf 5/8 then let's put our eggs in a young guys basket (Croker, Cletus etc) and see what happens. Keep our powder dry for a purchase that WILL make a difference. Signing Hodkinson won't make us a definite premiership contender so take a gamble on Croker - could be a revelation.

I wonder if Carney is still on the radar. I'm happy to have Crocker starting but we really need another good back as well as Hastings. Metcalf is raw but I'm sure he will have his time. Siro should not be an option at all imo. He is best served in the backrow and we shouldn't weaken that position for a patch solution. Carney would be handy

I'm Ok with that. I can't see the value in Hodko to be honest, and that's no slight on his ability. If we aren't going top shelf 5/8 then let's put our eggs in a young guys basket (Croker, Cletus etc) and see what happens. Keep our powder dry for a purchase that WILL make a difference. Signing Hodkinson won't make us a definite premiership contender so take a gamble on Croker - could be a revelation.
This is precisely how I feel. Let's not die wondering. We know what Hodkinson will bring and that's not going to be good enough to catapult us into a GF or a premiership. But if Croker or Hastings live up to their potential, you just never know. It could be DCE 2011 pt.2.

The big problem is injury cover.
If DCE goes down with another ankle injury for five or so weeks, our halves depth is horribly exposed.
We need to manufacture a 5/8 as additional cover.... eg Sirro / Matt Wright

The big problem is injury cover.
If DCE goes down with another ankle injury for five or so weeks, our halves depth is horribly exposed.
We need to manufacture a 5/8 as additional cover.... eg Sirro / Matt Wright

It has been said many times before, over this and many other threads.

Manly need 1 experienced half to cover DCE, not Croker or Hastings, or whoever else is in line.

But the "give the kids a chance", "lets get behind those kids", "Hodko and Carney are short term options and waste of cap space"
don't see that DCE is possibly injured/ rep selected for multiple weeks.

Carney or Hodgkinson are needed. Just not for what most people think they are for.

Manly need 1 experienced half to cover DCE, not Croker or Hastings, or whoever else is in line.

But the "give the kids a chance", "lets get behind those kids", "Hodko and Carney are short term options and waste of cap space"

Carney or Hodgkinson are needed. Just not for what most people think they are for.
You make a Very good point .

Perhaps player/coach..? He’d be faster than Hodgkinson.

• Clever
Reactions: R3
Im all for giving the kids a crack at it , it will probably be a process and hey im good with that , our future is looking bright . I'll rewind a fraction , Todd carney , fully fit , focosed and a good pre-season behind him we'd go close to winning the comp very soon, like 2018 .

Last edited:
Carney and Hodkinson are or were being chased largely for 'insurance' purposes.

I thought Hastings would get first shot, and he still may, but noises around the club are pointing to Croker.

Even if Croker succeeds it's a tall order to expect him to play all 26 rounds, plus finals. And that's not even allowing for the fact he has a total of only 38 minutes in 1st grade, nor his horrendous injury history.

We definitely need some experienced backup. (Whatever happened to Jeff Robson?)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6