Has Des lost the dressing room??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I cannot imagine a coach working under Des as Coaching Director. He would micro manage everything making it completely untenable. If that’s the plan then we’re stuffed.

Hasler might see it as a way to protect the club from the potential vacillations of the boardroom and the uncertainties/instabilities of the revolving door CEO situation.

The current absence of a CEO couldn’t be foreseen when he re-signed, but it again reminds us of the off-field problems endured since the end of the joint venture.

I think Hasler is surreptitiously aligning with the FC and LC, trying to recreate a strong ‘centre of gravity’ - that counters the vagaries of outside owners, whomever they might be.

In turn by taking on a coaching director role and bringing along his replacement/s, he is following a path that has worked before for the club, and should do so again.

Last edited:
I cannot imagine a coach working under Des as Coaching Director. He would micro manage everything making it completely untenable. If that’s the plan then we’re stuffed.
What if it’s Monaghan or Randall? Because other options are thin on the ground and w you will never know either way until it happens.

We were reminded once again during Barrett’s tenure of the risks of going outside the Manly-Warringah talent pool to find a coach.

You could make your argument at any club with a coach and a coaching director. It appears to be the current trend, so get onboard.

What if it’s Monaghan or Randall? Because other options are thin on the ground and w you will never know either way until it happens.

We were reminded once again during Barrett’s tenure of the risks of going outside the Manly-Warringah talent pool to find a coach.

You could make your argument at any club with a coach and a coaching director. It appears to be the current trend, so get onboard.
Bellamy would also be a non Manly boy. Barrett just couldn’t coach. He was never the proof that we can’t be successful with a coach who hasn’t worn the Maroon and White. Quite frankly that idea is keeping us in the dark ages.

Hard to know from the outside but looking at our results isn't exactly inspiring. 5 wins against teams currently placed 16th, 15th, 14th. 13th and 10th. Against the remaining sides all above us including the bloody Broncos we have managed to score only 62 points (that's an average of 12.4 points per game) and we have conceded 166 points in those 5 games (that an unacceptable average of 33.2 points per game). It's said that defence is built upon attitude our defence against the better sides has crumbled.

Frankly our defence against Tigers was pretty average as well conceding 22 points and we face the Eels and the Storm in the next two games so those statistics might get far worse. So what happens from here? Change is required otherwise the writing is on the wall.

Last edited:
Gallant effort the Bunnies , pretty good 2 nd half against the Sharks , passable win against the West tigers , hardly an indication that a coach has lost the dressing room . Time for some serious self reflection for quite a few of the playing group more like it .

Did anyone see the team photo this weekend.
Did it look like he has lost the room ?
We will beat the scum.

There may be some introspection amongst the players knowing that well-know and respected 'leaders' amongst the playing group won't be around next year (Foz, Kapow, Walker - cue the discussion as to the extent each has been a leader or not....).

While we're on it, this is why I think each won't be around next year - and Manly has had ample opportunity to sign each of them for more years:

Foz: great leadership qualities, passing attack at the line, guts and glory player - but he knows he does not have the speed to match it with opposing halves and outside backs any more. Watch the recent Broncos game closely.

Tapau: leader of Manly's pack in the day, but not now. Doesn't have the aerobic capacity he used to to play long minutes, which is also starting to affect his ability to step and run (as opposed to straight runs), and his decision-making ability under pressure (off-loads and passing game). The latter appears to be making his error-rate increase over time.

Walker: has bulked up over the last couple of years, which helps his current middle third role. I don't think he has the aerobic capacity and quick sideways step to play centre now. His renewed enthusiasm has been appreciated; however I don't think the club can continue to pay him as much as he has been on - to play the role he now has.

Let's face it, all three are in the twilight of their careers - Walker & Foz already have extended deals from next year with other clubs, and no-one can begrudge them that. Tapau will no doubt get a good offer somewhere before the end of the year. The younger brigade at Manly are probably still trying to process all of this; it's a bit like a grieving/loss process before the event.

No doubt Des has had some input on all of the above. What the younger players may not realize is that Des himself was on the pointy end of the 'out the door' stick at Manly back in the day, and had to play at Wests (yuk) as a lock / hooker / whatever. Success and failure are both imposters to a degree in their own way.

You would think Mona's the favourite to take on the reins. The great unknown is could he modernise the playing style, having been coached by and then alongside the Professor.

Who ever gets the gig isn't going to have a easy gig standing up to DES and making the team their own.

Cirraldo would be my choice. Someone who comes from success with a style suited to 2022.

But I just can not see Manly going down the non Manly path again.

You would think Mona's the favourite to take on the reins. The great unknown is could he modernise the playing style, having been coached by and then alongside the Professor.

Who ever gets the gig isn't going to have a easy gig standing up to DES and making the team their own.

Cirraldo would be my choice. Someone who comes from success with a style suited to 2022.

But I just can not see Manly going down the non Manly path again.
Find it hard to imagine great success without a Manly origin coach. I remember even Bennett saying that we were on of those clubs when praising Des last year.

The greatest Myth in the history of sporting endeavour is this ridiculous notion that only an ex manly player can be successful at manly.

NONSENSE .... unless of course they are wearing the black away strip .. then we are really doomed .. especially if it's a Friday 13th.

Manly have had about 18 ex manly players coaching .. only 4 of whom have delivered the chocolates.

We have had only about 4 non manly coaches since the 50's.

The greatest Myth in the history of sporting endeavour is this ridiculous notion that only an ex manly player can be successful at manly.

NONSENSE .... unless of course they are wearing the black away strip .. then we are really doomed .. especially if it's a Friday 13th.
i couldnt throw enough likes, clever, informative, agree, winner, ha ha and thankyou emojis at this one. rugga league sure loves its hoo doos voo doos

we probably just need someone from another club that identifies as a manly player these days anyway.

just not barrett parrots footy speak

i would go flanno, but my mrs reckons i look slim in lumberjack , and thats ok, i sleep all night and post all day

It was a hard night in the stands on Friday.

What was most notable about our pack (and the reason the backs take so many hit ups) is that it takes Jake and others up to four tackles to get back onside after a kick downfield.

They are deadset plodding.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8