Harper's been so bad he needs to go

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I've only just mustered up enough strength to watch the replay v Souths and as happy as I am with coming 4th it's disappointing the issues v Melbourne weren't addressed. Harper's 2 missed tackles and the miscommunication with Saab lead to the 3 tries in the first 20 minutes. Des we love your loyalty but it has it's time and place! Hopefully Scotty has his eye on someone for the centre/fill-in fullback roll. Bring on 2022.

Full pre season training as the starting centre, a bit more bulk and work on his combination with Saab - Harper will be one of the best defensive centres along with Parker by the end of next season. Des is great at training centres and Harper has the desire to get there. Don’t write him off after a mostly solid and sometimes great first season.

Full pre season training as the starting centre, a bit more bulk and work on his combination with Saab - Harper will be one of the best defensive centres along with Parker by the end of next season. Des is great at training centres and Harper has the desire to get there. Don’t write him off after a mostly solid and sometimes great first season.
True, had more good games than bad games, great link man and has a great understanding with Saab. Definitely gets first crack at it next season, Lionel will be champing at the bit and rearing to go next year.

Agreed, can't forget his consistency during the regular season, the confidence he gave Saab as a defender and their combination, and his big defensive games where he stopped the likes of David Fifita, Luc Leilua, Kikau, and more. He's gonna be motivated to make amends for that finals series.

It was not Harpers best games, but was his first finals series...all round rating in 2021 is a 7.
Have seen many quality players not be as effective in their first season.
Just 1 other thing....some of the defensive decisions and pressure were from the middle losing the battle, same as Tom T suddenly looking inneffective in attack compared to usual, once we got dominated physically through the guts, many of our better players did not look as good, it's no coincidence and they didn'y suddenly turn into bad players overnight.

It was not Harpers best games, but was his first finals series...all round rating in 2021 is a 7.
Have seen many quality players not be as effective in their first season.
Just 1 other thing....some of the defensive decisions and pressure were from the middle losing the battle, same as Tom T suddenly looking inneffective in attack compared to usual, once we got dominated physically through the guts, many of our better players did not look as good, it's no coincidence and they didn'y suddenly turn into bad players overnight.
Spot on @maxta....his from tapered off no doubt (tired and injured i'm assuming) but he was exposed only in the Souths and Melbourne games - if you have those two backlines running at you with a heap of reps then its going to be hard for any centre to stop it - and mistakes will be made. I accept he looked pretty bad in these games but i'm prepared to given him the benefit of the doubt for the reasons above.

I remember watching Matai in his early games and thinking he will only be an average first grader...look what he became with a bit of age, muscle and experience. Im not saying Harper's going to be the next Matai, but he is young and for me did a really good job in his first full season first grade.

I expect him to improve next year across the park.

Nah, gooorne. Ben Turbo for Harper.
Jake to prop. Shuster to lock.
Dylan to help hookers, Fainu to come back, prove himself.
Parker a keeper, Suli to be coached.
Bring Killer back 2 the club to coach Ben and Parker.

I just think the warning signs were there after the Melbourne game (and a little earlier) to make the change for the Roosters and Souths game. After the Storm there was a lot of "he'll learn from it" and "be better for the run" but I still think (as per comments in this chat) that Walker was the better option. I agree Harper played beyond expectations and the off season will do him well, but it's all about the best possible side at the most crucial moment....

Harper was poor against the Top 4 sides who targeted him. I think he is ok against the teams outside the 8 but he is not going to win us a premiership. Olam treated him with disdain (didn't see that against the Panthers) and he had two crucial misses against the Rabbits. He was not in the Dogs First grade side when he came across. Parker defensively is a lot stronger however I think we need to find another partner. Preferably 2.

Harper was poor against the Top 4 sides who targeted him. I think he is ok against the teams outside the 8 but he is not going to win us a premiership. Olam treated him with disdain (didn't see that against the Panthers) and he had two crucial misses against the Rabbits. He was not in the Dogs First grade side when he came across. Parker defensively is a lot stronger however I think we need to find another partner. Preferably 2.
Fair enough but bear in mind, Parker just played his 6th season of NRL, Harper his 1st. Personally I think he showed plenty of good qualities, although his form did tail off towards the end. He's played with bandages all year, if he can get over what ails him I'm pretty sure he's capable of going further.

I just can't see Parker and Harper being premiership winning centers. They both lack speed and size. Defensively they're good against the lesser sides but found out against the best teams. Unless they speed up , bulk up and defend like Killer and Matai over the summer then we need to find better.

Harper will be a better player after a full season in first grade. It is true that defensively he got caught out in the semi finals this year. It did not help that Manly kept turning over the ball time and time again in semi 1 and 3.

Learning curve for Harper and the boys and I expect them to improve over a full off season.

I like Harper and feel he’ll become one off our great players in years to come.
To me, he looked a little burnt out rather than drop in form! He came on to replace Suli injury and I think mentally may have got better off him overthinking to try and keep his spot rather than relaxing and enjoying his footy.
I would retain Harper over Parker, Saab and Garrick all day long!
He will be much better 2022.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8