Happy Australia Day

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of the date , or what it means , it’s fair that we celebrate our nation , all of us.

Just like every nation in the world does , St Patrick’s Day , Bastille Day to name a couple.

Just one single day , is that possible ???
Most countries national day is marked by it's origins in violence, bloodshed and death. Why should we be any different.

I find your faith that a voice will be representative of all the indigenous people amusing ... who will be the representatives on the voice, how will they be selected/elected ?

Will it be Warren Mundine or Anthony mundine ... Will it be Lydia Thorpe or Jacinta Price ?

And of course there will be no agendas at play ...
It is advisory….

Also the model is not finalised as per the process. That is what the consultation period is for

I find your lack of faith illustrative

I have Wog friends , Gay friends , Left wing friends , Right wing friends , Manly feathered friends
and Indigenous friends

and the Indigenous friends I have and spend Australia day and any other day with have embraced 26th January Australia day celebrations and happily celebrate with all of us proud Australians

Just my experience
But offcourse we will always have other perspectives from other people

The moral of the story.....
You can never please every one
Not even in your own family
My point is we have a bunch of white people speculating what an indigenous person may feel.

I can not say what pleases someone who i have not heard from

My point is we have a bunch of white people speculating what an indigenous person may feel.

I can not say what pleases someone who i have not heard from
I understand your point and my point is that there will be a different perception amongst both white and. indigenous just we have a different perception on views within our own family

They already have a whole week , NAIDOC week.

I’m not anti that at all , in fact some of what they do during this week is excellent , but it is a week.

Why stop there @Mark from Brisbane here are some dates for this year,
  • 13 February – Anniversary of National Apology Day. ...
  • 16 March – National Close the Gap Day. ...
  • 26 May – National Sorry Day. ...
  • 27 May – 1967 Referendum. ...
  • 27 May to 3 June – National Reconciliation Week. ...
  • 3 June – Mabo Day. ...
  • 1 July – Coming of the Light. ...
  • 2 July to 9 July – NAIDOC Week.

Personally I couldnt give two hoots what happens with Australia Day and reckon all the above should also be public holidays.

It is advisory….

Also the model is not finalised as per the process. That is what the consultation period is for

I find your lack of faith illustrative

So you have no idea who will be on it .. how they get to be on it ... how it will work ... and has no power anyway ..

And yet ... you think it's a winner.

I find your enthusiastic following of ideology .. illustrative.

I understand your point and my point is that there will be a different perception amongst both white and. indigenous just we have a different perception on views within our own family
Agree which is why I think we need to be able to understand / hear the indigenous more than we currently do

Why stop there @Mark from Brisbane here are some dates for this year,
  • 13 February – Anniversary of National Apology Day. ...
  • 16 March – National Close the Gap Day. ...
  • 26 May – National Sorry Day. ...
  • 27 May – 1967 Referendum. ...
  • 27 May to 3 June – National Reconciliation Week. ...
  • 3 June – Mabo Day. ...
  • 1 July – Coming of the Light. ...
  • 2 July to 9 July – NAIDOC Week.

Personally I couldnt give two hoots what happens with Australia Day and reckon all the above should also be public holidays.
Holy **** , knew there was an apology day BUT that’s a little over the top !!

Agree which is why I think we need to be able to understand / hear the indigenous more than we currently do
There’s 11 federal indigenous politicians.

And a myriad of very confrontational activists constantly lobbying politicians.

There’s circa , 30 billion spent on the indigenous community ( 4% of Australians).

And you think we need more ??

That’s the thing I struggle with, having lived in an aboriginal community for 50 years and seen the absolute waste first hand , and everyone thinks we need more.

Sorry , and I know it’s just opinions so this is in no way personal , but I humbly disagree.

What really needs to happen is this,

Jobs , that’s where it starts , no “ free money “ you work for what you get , even if it’s federal assistance you do something for the money.

Education , that’s where things change , knowledge , leads to jobs , leads to better communities.

Alcohol, sorry but they can’t handle it , never have , never will , screw “ civil liberties “ alcohol is killing their communities, just look at Alice Springs. What the NT & Federal government have done there is a tragedy.

And the child rape , incest , and the like is epidemic , no one wants to talk about it , but it’s the main reason the kids are on the streets at night , it’s safer there .

Most of the money they get is spent on drugs / alcohol , that’s why the kids steal, for food, that’s a fact I’ve seen it for myself .

Anyone who lives in the city , reads social media and has never been exposed to “ indigenous Australia “ honestly has very very little idea. When you live it , you know it.

As far as listening , yep I agree a great idea BUT NOT TO ACTIVISTS , go out and listen to the rural communities, listen to the elders , listen to the locals.

We do NOT need a bunch of activists with a voice to parliament.

PS: sorry that was a rant , and certainly not aimed at you specifically!!

Last edited:
There’s 11 federal indigenous politicians.

And a myriad of very confrontational activists constantly lobbying politicians.

There’s circa , 30 billion spent on the indigenous community ( 4% of Australians).

And you think we need more ??

That’s the thing I struggle with, having lived in an aboriginal community for 50 years and seen the absolute waste first hand , and everyone thinks we need more.

Sorry , and I know it’s just opinions so this is in no way personal , but I humbly disagree.

What really needs to happen is this,

Jobs , that’s where it starts , no “ free money “ you work for what you get , even if it’s federal assistance you do something for the money.

Education , that’s where things change , knowledge , leads to jobs , leads to better communities.

Alcohol, sorry but they can’t handle it , never have , never will , screw “ civil liberties “ alcohol is killing their communities, just look at Alice Springs. What the NT & Federal government have done there is a tragedy.

And the child rape , incest , and the like is epidemic , no one wants to talk about it , but it’s the main reason the kids are on the streets at night , it’s safer there .

Most of the money they get is spent on drugs / alcohol , that’s why the kids steal, for food, that’s a fact I’ve seen it for myself .

Anyone who lives in the city , reads social media and has never been exposed to “ indigenous Australia “ honestly has very very little idea. When you live it , you know it.

As far as listening , yep I agree a great idea BUT NOT TO ACTIVISTS , go out and listen to the rural communities, listen to the elders , listen to the locals.

We do NOT need a bunch of activists with a voice to parliament.

PS: sorry that was a rant , and certainly not aimed at you specifically!!
We need a representative voice. All
The problems you have listed show me that what we have done has not worked and reinforces the need to do something different

The problems you have listed show me that what we have done has not worked and reinforces the need to do something different
Very humbly I’ll disagree.

We need governments with “ kahunas” not just governments frightened to change anything as it’ll cost them votes.

Both sides are guilty , no one is game enough to do the hard yards.

More people telling them what to do means **** all , sorry for my profanity but it’s a very serious issue with no one willing to make the hard choices.

The problems have occurred because we have only tried an outside-in approach to resolving issues within Indigenous communities. There has never been a consistent inside-out approach to resolving these issues at community level. Imposing "solutions" from outside communities has obviously been a complete failure in most regions.

I believe that implementing an Indigenous Voice to Parliament will enable a paradigm shift from dysfunction to function within most communities over time. There are no quick solutions, but up to now, we simply haven't been listening correctly to these communities. The Voice will provide a new mechanism to listen properly, learn dynamically, and then change direction nationally.

Last edited:
The problems have occurred because we have only tried an outside-in approach to resolving issues within Indigenous communities. There has never been a consistent inside-out approach to resolving these issues at community level. Imposing "solutions" from outside communities has obviously been a complete failure in most regions.

Implementing an Indigenous Voice to Parliament will enable a paradigm shift from dysfunction to function within most communities over time. There are no quick solutions, but up to now, we simply haven't been listening correctly to these communities. The Voice will allow us all to listen, learn, and then to change direction.
Once you’ve lived in an indigenous community you get a whole new understanding of what’s really needed.

More voices , wanting more say and more money just isn’t the solution.

A shift away from “ money for nothing “ and a move to proper employment/ education is where it’s gotta start.

And fix the alcohol / pedophilia issues.

We don’t need a voice , we need action from a government not frightened about votes.

Very humbly I’ll disagree.

We need governments with “ kahunas” not just governments frightened to change anything as it’ll cost them votes.

Both sides are guilty , no one is game enough to do the hard yards.

More people telling them what to do means **** all , sorry for my profanity but it’s a very serious issue with no one willing to make the hard choices.
Should the hard choices not be done with I out from those impacted?

Once you’ve lived in an indigenous community you get a whole new understanding of what’s really needed.

More voices , wanting more say and more money just isn’t the solution.

A shift away from “ money for nothing “ and a move to proper employment/ education is where it’s gotta start.

And fix the alcohol / pedophilia issues.

We don’t need a voice , we need action from a government not frightened about votes.

If we are not listening @Mark from Brisbane we will never find workable solutions. What have right now simply isn't working. Obviously, the entire system of distribution and management of funding and resources to indigenous communities requires substantial change. Yes, action is required to achieve that. No argument from me on most of the points that you make.

However, where I disagree with you is that I believe significant change can only come from within those communities. If we are not listening to the communities properly, how do you see that change ever happening? I am sure you agree with me that what we have right now simply isn't working, and never will?

Holy **** , knew there was an apology day BUT that’s a little over the top !!

No, there needs to be more days apparently.

I am trying to get up enough support for the "Aussie Battler Day". Its a day were all Aussies no matter their background or religion or anything. Its a day of to reflect.

Reflect on anything. Just clear their mind and their soul.

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8