Happy Australia Day

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course not and I think you know that's not what I'm suggesting. Clearly, there will never be a unanimous support for whatever is proposed. Just like there is never unanimous support from the rest of the country when there is a general election. But we don't then say - well, I'm Catholic and I think we should have another election just for us. I think if people just don't like the idea of indigenous people being acknowledged in the Constitution and that an advisory body will be established that can make representations directly to Parliament specifically on indigenous issues (to be worked out in consultation with the whole Parliament if the referendum is successful) - then they should just say that and move on. I'd rather hear them say something like - "they don't deserve any special treatment coz I don't get any" or "so we took over the country, that was so long ago and I had nothing to do with it and so they just to get over it" (as I've had people say to me) then just say it. As much as I disagree with that sentiment, at least it would be honest. Throwing things out there like - oh dear, there'll be too much bickering, just seems disingenuous. And no, I don't think everyone feels like the two examples I just gave and that they genuinely just want to know what's going on. But from what I've read and heard, it's seems like a pretty simple proposition 1) a referendum to vote on a principle 2) a process developed to establish the advisory group in consultation with the Parliament. Now I know that there are better people out there to explain it better but that's my reading of it. It is impossible at this point to answer questions about how and who coz that's not what is written into the Constitution. The main focus (in my mind) is and should be on whether we support the basic principle. Then the Parliament works out the howz and whoz. And for better or worse, that's all I got!
Appreciate the effort you go to, to explain your opinions. My opinion is that there will likely be issues harmonising a collective united indigenous voice because of the shear diversity amongst the aboriginal community. There are around 150 traditional languages and numerous tribes from what I understand. There are noted significantly contrasting opinions amongst groups. e.g. Jacinta Price vs Lydia Thorpe..In NZ where they have something similar to what is being proposed their indigenous community only has traditionally two main languages. Unless there is a solution to this than my opinion on the likely bickering is by no means a furphy at all whether it is an indigenous group a Christian religious group or any group for that matter..
Also your point about the voice only being for views on indigenous matters only has not yet being specified to my knowledge. Please enlighten me on this? RP.

The Statement from the Heart was a united indigenous voice that led to this proposal. So many of the above statements are pure, unadulterated, and deliberate racism. It's really very sad.
No racism going on here.. just honest opinion sharing….you appear from what I have read from your posts somewhat a harridan that goes about trying to shut down opinions contrary to yours. Now shouting racism is a classic example…..
BTW, I would like to be direct with people rather than criticising them for a far. seems very weak minded not to be direct with people.

Appreciate the effort you go to, to explain your opinions. My opinion is that there will likely be issues harmonising a collective united indigenous voice because of the shear diversity amongst the aboriginal community. There are around 150 traditional languages and numerous tribes from what I understand. There are noted significantly contrasting opinions amongst groups. e.g. Jacinta Price vs Lydia Thorpe..In NZ where they have something similar to what is being proposed their indigenous community only has traditionally two main languages. Unless there is a solution to this than my opinion on the likely bickering is by no means a furphy at all whether it is an indigenous group a Christian religious group or any group for that matter..
Also your point about the voice only being for views on indigenous matters only has not yet being specified to my knowledge. Please enlighten me on this? RP.
I can only reiterate my point that there are just as many "communities" with differing opinions across this vast land and remarkably we still work it out. And everything I've read or heard from those directly involved refers to indigenous matters. I'd start with Albanese's proposed words for the referendum. I'm not sure what people think indigenous people want to do - are we going to hear the "they are going to take my home" fearmongering we've heard in the past??

. So many of the above statements are pure, unadulterated, and deliberate racism. It's really very sad.
Please clearly explain what has been said that is racist? No one should be able to gaslight like this without backing it up with something objective not just your subjective offence to someone else’s view… I for example will happily explain my opinions to anyone that asks.

I think it’s sad how people use these “ism” words like nuclear weapons to shut down debate…

I can only reiterate my point that there are just as many "communities" with differing opinions across this vast land and remarkably we still work it out. And everything I've read or heard from those directly involved refers to indigenous matters. I'd start with Albanese's proposed words for the referendum. I'm not sure what people think indigenous people want to do - are we going to hear the "they are going to take my home" fearmongering we've heard in the past??
Agree but we have elections to sort that out on a National level representing everyone..

Agree but we have elections to sort that out on a National level representing everyone..
Yes but in my humble opinion, as the First Nations people of this land (circa pick your thousands of years) that did not invite settlement from a foreign people, or their diseases, or white picket fence land consumption, or cattle and sheep stations or the plethora of flow on effects, I think they hold a slightly more unique position than the rest of us. But again, that's just my opinion. And now I gotta choof.

So nobody is really against an advisory voice that has no law making power.

Everyone agrees we need to do better.

Almost nobody on here speaks from the view of indigenous Aussies, but "know" what's best without having seen whatever that is work.

Ok then.
Point 1, no , but it depends on who the voices are , we don’t need more radicals , and I really doubt they’ll just pick Joe Blogs aboriginals from remote areas , so isn’t it just more of the same??

Point 2, of course , most of what’s being done now isn’t working BUT how can more voices fix that ( again go back to point 1)

Point 3, I’m not Indigenous, but I was born in an Indigenous town , went to school with them , played sport with them , employed some of them , am mates today with a few of the really good ones. This was the first 50 years of my life . I’ve seen things that work , I’ve seen lots of things fail , more money , free money , not working for it ( which is the philosophy of most of the radicals). I dare say of most on here commenting I have a greater understanding of the “ real world “ than most.

If you’ve never lived it , and only read about it , then really you have no ****ing idea ( you as in plural not you personally ).

Don’t blame Albo, don’t blame Scomo , in fact don’t blame any of them , this all started in the 1960’s so it’s 60 years of mostly failures.

I could talk all day , all night on this subject , I’ve seen the things that work and already stated that.

No money for nothing , job training paid for , assistance to get into work , then maybe bonuses for staying in work.

No money for nothing , you’re at least expected to do community service for the money , the old “ work for the dole “ scheme , give them a sense of pride , this is one thing they need.

Education , is paramount , there are schemes working , most fail , peer pressure from within the biggest issue.

Google a great community program that started in my home town ,by a white fella , for the black fellas , now run by black fellas and a success “ Aboriginal Employment Strategy “ AES. Far better to have this running across Australia than just throwing another billion in to stupid thi gs that fail.

Please , don’t ever think I’m a racist , I respect their culture , and as I say I have some good mates from those days that are indigenous, it saddens me to see what’s been done and what’s wasted ( and us still being wasted ).

But seriously Radicals and Do Gooders whispering in politicians ears will fix NOTHING.

Point 1, no , but it depends on who the voices are , we don’t need more radicals , and I really doubt they’ll just pick Joe Blogs aboriginals from remote areas , so isn’t it just more of the same??

Point 2, of course , most of what’s being done now isn’t working BUT how can more voices fix that ( again go back to point 1)

Point 3, I’m not Indigenous, but I was born in an Indigenous town , went to school with them , played sport with them , employed some of them , am mates today with a few of the really good ones. This was the first 50 years of my life . I’ve seen things that work , I’ve seen lots of things fail , more money , free money , not working for it ( which is the philosophy of most of the radicals). I dare say of most on here commenting I have a greater understanding of the “ real world “ than most.

If you’ve never lived it , and only read about it , then really you have no ****ing idea ( you as in plural not you personally ).

Don’t blame Albo, don’t blame Scomo , in fact don’t blame any of them , this all started in the 1960’s so it’s 60 years of mostly failures.

I could talk all day , all night on this subject , I’ve seen the things that work and already stated that.

No money for nothing , job training paid for , assistance to get into work , then maybe bonuses for staying in work.

No money for nothing , you’re at least expected to do community service for the money , the old “ work for the dole “ scheme , give them a sense of pride , this is one thing they need.

Education , is paramount , there are schemes working , most fail , peer pressure from within the biggest issue.

Google a great community program that started in my home town ,by a white fella , for the black fellas , now run by black fellas and a success “ Aboriginal Employment Strategy “ AES. Far better to have this running across Australia than just throwing another billion in to stupid thi gs that fail.

Please , don’t ever think I’m a racist , I respect their culture , and as I say I have some good mates from those days that are indigenous, it saddens me to see what’s been done and what’s wasted ( and us still being wasted ).

But seriously Radicals and Do Gooders whispering in politicians ears will fix NOTHING.
Respect your experience Mark and would never consider you racist.
For me, I think some of the people who oppose the voice think it will be filled with what you call radicals and do gooders. There are some brilliant indigenous people who are way more qualified in their fields than any of us are. There are incredible thinkers doing remarkable things, people ensuring, for example that indigenous folk are getting training as doctors and psychiatrists and teachers in really solid programs so they can go back into their communities and help the myriad of problems.
Years ago, when I used to write about Rugby, I had many a long evening chatting to Lloyd McDermott, Wallaby and the first indigenous barrister. He could, obviously, run rings around me intellectually and his insight into indigenous communities really opened my eyes.
People keep quoting the radicals of the community but I suspect the statement from the heart came from such a good place that the real thinkers and leaders of their communities would be the people they'd like to represent them. There are a great many indigenous minds who could blow the rest of us out of the water. I can't see why giving them a voice (which will never be compulsory for any legislation) about their own communities can ever be a problem.

O
Respect your experience Mark and would never consider you racist.
So what are the racist comments in this thread @Budgie? At least have the decency to back up your previous accusations… I suspect you really have nothing. Do you think accusing others of hate ( is what a racist is) is going help anyone?

Btw, it would not take much to run rings around you intellectually at all considering your petty way of insisting on your point of view.. anyways ideologues don’t think they just regurgitate…

O

So what are the racist comments in this thread @Budgie? At least have the decency to back up your previous accusations… I suspect you really have nothing. Do you think accusing others of hate ( is what a racist is) is going help anyone?

Btw, it would not take much to run rings around you intellectually at all considering your petty way of insisting on your point of view.. anyways ideologues don’t think they just regurgitate…
Hey Red Pill might not always agree with some of your opinions but sure can respect your advocacy and the way you prosecute an argument . Would not take too much to heart here , it is just a forum when all is said and done . Reminds me a bit of Speakers corner in the Old Dart [ London ] and if it is still going . Anyway , got to scoot ,

Hey Red Pill might not always agree with some of your opinions but sure can respect your advocacy and the way you prosecute an argument . Would not take too much to heart here , it is just a forum when all is said and done . Reminds me a bit of Speakers corner in the Old Dart [ London ] and if it is still going . Anyway , got to scoot ,
Thanks mate the respect is 100% mutual… You are right! It is just a forum… however people should be decent enough to back up what they say especially when they accuse others of hate and pretend to be morally superior to others…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10