Gutherson & Knight

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Some how I don't think that Gutho is in the same class as Thurston feathered friend or Wally Lewis for that matter. But if you want to make him an immortal in you life time that's up to you :)

They didnt expect Thurston to be as good as he became. Why else would Canterbury have let him go because they wouldnt pay more than $150000 a year. We have no idea how good a player will be. We can only suggest if they are good now, they will probably be much better later.

They didnt expect Thurston to be as good as he became. Why else would Canterbury have let him go because they wouldnt pay more than $150000 a year. We have no idea how good a player will be. We can only suggest if they are good now, they will probably be much better later.

The talk was back then that Thurston had discipline issues on top of any other perceived weaknesses and if it was $150K back then, that was overs for a player of his experience.
Maybe that was the making of him, sometimes the kick up the bum and a "there's the door" is what lights the fire and sets them on their way.
In hindsight it looks like they got it wrong but he may not have become the player or man he is if they kept him on.
Without casting any aspersions here, they were still trying to rebuild their image from 2004 so player discipline - and club culture - was very high up on the the agenda, perhaps outweighing potential talent.

There was a story in the SMH today about how the dogs ,once they heard the offer he had received, said for him to take it

It was not a talent thing as they wanted to keep him...it was a salary cap pressure issue where he had a better opportunity elsewhere

Not necessarily!
There have been many a young player of reported great talent come through the ranks who never blew the lights out if they reached first grade. Thurston wasn't even wanted when younger ,sited as being too small. His manager at the time even offered him for free but clubs refused. Only the Dogs took him on a small wage and weren't too keen on re-signing him when his contract was up just after the dogs won the comp in the early 2000s. Look at him today.

Just one other note, with all the concerns on this forum pertaining to the release of Gutherson and "suggested" loss of Knight because the Roosters have approached him, is Bennett a fool for letting Ash Taylor go, 2015 Dally M Holden Cup player, with a year remaining on his contract, despite the fact he wanted to remain with the Broncos? Bennett did say in the media the kid is ready for first grade and did not want to hold him back in pursuing a starting spot which was going to be highly unlikely at the Broncos with Milford and Hunt ahead of him. Could it not be said the same applies to Gutho, as unfortunate as it is?

As for Knight, all media hype IMO. Many a times have most of you come out stating Rothfield is more likely to be wrong than right and he has a personal agenda against Manly anyway, even mores so now because we beat his beloved Sharks in the last round of the regular season preventing them from securing a top 4 finish.

Last edited:
There was a story in the SMH today about how the dogs ,once they heard the offer he had received, said for him to take it

It was not a talent thing as they wanted to keep him...it was a salary cap pressure issue where he had a better opportunity elsewhere

The funny thing about that whole situation is that at one point Brent Sherwin was a better footballer than Thurston.

• 🤝
Reactions: lsz
Tom T is a Ferrari and Gutho is a Ford Falcon XR6 . No comparison on the treatment :)
I don't think it's a car comparison but hey, I drive a cheating VW.
For me Tom is a very fast foal, as his body develops, we'll see if it sustains him to win a Cox Plate or three. All speculation. Hope he becomes the great that we all want!

As for Knight, all media hype IMO. Many a times have most of you come out stating Rothfield is more likely to be wrong than right and he has a personal agenda against Manly anyway, even mores so now because we beat his beloved Sharks in the last round of the regular season preventing them from securing a top 4 finish.

Bingo!! Don't forget the rumours circling recently about Jack Bird and Manly. Classic Rothtool payback I think.

OK, let's get one thing straight. There are a lot of opinions being bandied about, but to suggest that we MAY HAVE let a player of the calibre of JT go, is taking things to the absolute extreme.

Even a guy like James Tedesco (who I don't particularly like) has more raw talent than Gutherson, but 3 years into his first grade career and with a rep jumper under his belt, is he headed for immortal status?

C'mon...Gutherson does not have blinding speed (he is moderately fast), he is not built like a tank in the mould of Greg Inglis, he can chime into the backline and kick goals. He will probably be a decent first grader.

Charly Runcimen played Junior Kangaroos and NSW origin with Gutherson and now he is on a plane to the UK after failing to cement a position after 12 top grade appearances in a backline full of NSW Cup level talent.

Wait and see what comes of Gutherson at the Eels before you hang yourself from the rafters.

Tom T is a Ferrari and Gutho is a Ford Falcon XR6 . No comparison on the treatment :)
Ridiculous comparison

Guthbo would be a worked Xr8 with a bullbar

Xr8s have a supercharger and can outrun a number of Ferraris

Also Tom T is more defensively deficient and likely more injury prone in the long run

Lastly why so specific on the falcon and abstract on the Ferrari? A FG or FGX would wipe the floor with a testa rossa

That ferrari would have a 5 speed gearbox at best while the 195kw fg have a six speed, 198kw if in taxi form (gas)

Lastly as a car guy why would i spend a minimum of $500k on import trash when i could get multiple falcons

An FGX Xr8 as a daily drive,which is a gt rspec specification,in red with the v8 supercar bodykit and black gt stripes

A 1000hp barra turbocharged XD for the strip,in a mid blue metallic

A XB GT 2 Door Miami V8 with new custom bumpers, updated suspension etc,in canary yellow with black stripes

A FGX XR6 turbo ute with alloy tray for ute related work,in the same paintwork as the xr8

And approximately $250k towards a near new house on the derwent,5 bedrooms with a 2 wide attached drive thru garage on an acre with a shed capable of holding 4 cars and a dog comfortably

Also **** Italian supercar reliability, i like to get where I'm going,also I'd beat them there provided they didn't break down or bust a rim on ****ty non supercar safe Australian roads

First of all feathered friend Gutho aint got a bullbar and he aint no XR8 V8 . I think you must be mistaking him for the tough Taufua
Secondly what medical degree do you have that qualifies you to make an assessment on Turbos Health condition .
Thirdly the Ferrari does the quarter mile in 9.6 seconds and the Falcon XR6 does it in 13.8 seconds . I didnt quote the XR6 Turbo quarter mile figure of 13.4 seconds because Gutho is no Turbo...jevic

OK, let's get one thing straight. There are a lot of opinions being bandied about, but to suggest that we MAY HAVE let a player of the calibre of JT go, is taking things to the absolute extreme.

Even a guy like James Tedesco (who I don't particularly like) has more raw talent than Gutherson, but 3 years into his first grade career and with a rep jumper under his belt, is he headed for immortal status?

C'mon...Gutherson does not have blinding speed (he is moderately fast), he is not built like a tank in the mould of Greg Inglis, he can chime into the backline and kick goals. He will probably be a decent first grader.

Charly Runcimen played Junior Kangaroos and NSW origin with Gutherson and now he is on a plane to the UK after failing to cement a position after 12 top grade appearances in a backline full of NSW Cup level talent.

Wait and see what comes of Gutherson at the Eels before you hang yourself from the rafters.

Agree. I'm more worried about getting another good prop, middle forward and filling foran's position. A lot of players off contract next year, we need to focus on the wink links we need to fill.

Just ask Corey Hughes.

First of all feathered friend Gutho aint got a bullbar and he aint no XR8 V8 . I think you must be mistaking him for the tough Taufua
Secondly what medical degree do you have that qualifies you to make an assessment on Turbos Health condition .
Thirdly the Ferrari does the quarter mile in 9.6 seconds and the Falcon XR6 does it in 13.8 seconds . I didnt quote the XR6 Turbo quarter mile figure of 13.4 seconds because Gutho is no Turbo...jevic
Which one got picked first this season? I'll give you a hint

The xr8

There's fords that do under 6 seconds on the quarter mile,no ferrari does that, they are called funny cars and strangely not humorous rocking a 460 big block with a supercharger, plus a 2 speed auto and ford 9 inch, running on methanol and nitrous oxide

Why do falcons become taxis but not Ferraris, reliability is key

Which one got picked first this season? I'll give you a hint

The xr8

There's fords that do under 6 seconds on the quarter mile,no ferrari does that, they are called funny cars and strangely not humorous rocking a 460 big block with a supercharger, plus a 2 speed auto and ford 9 inch, running on methanol and nitrous oxide

Why do falcons become taxis but not Ferraris, reliability is key
I am afraid your falcon has broken down for the season and is not as reliable as its reputation claims it to be . Time will tell if Gutho will ever be pulling in 6 second Quarter miles after he comes back out of the work shop from a blown ACL . That's Parras problem and not ours now

The beef I have ... I wanted to see Gutho develop as a Manly player ... the joy of having a local player coming through the ranks and hitting the big time is so satisfying. You rarely get the chance of the that possibility. So if he does not continue on the same trajectory as was evident last year and the start of this year that would be a shame. I hope he does continue but it will just hurt now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8