Gift gone...... to Souths!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
tookey said:
mickqld said:
Interesting interviews on Foxsports. King is absolutely gutted you could tell in his voice and demeanour. DCE was very cold and clinical about it. Basically said he's glad he's got his future sorted and we move on....hmmmm. The rift rumours of last year not so fanciful it seems. DCE didn't express any disappointment at Gift going.

Yes the DCE/Stewart brothers rift sounds like may be true.

Sea Eagles divided over Glenn Stewart's departure
Manly have famously been able to rise above off-field dramas and win games – and premierships - but Glenn Stewart's departure will test their resolve like never before. Senior players are filthy he has been able to walk out the door without an offer being tabled and are reconsidering their futures, given the lack of loyalty. There is also a split among players in the pro-Stewart camp and those against. Daly Cherry-Evans was cold and dismissive in discussing Stewart's departure on Tuesday while Jason King gave an emotional and passionate response. Read into that what you will. Members of the Penn family – co-owners of the club – personally met with Stewart to try to broker a deal but the other side of the Manly faction clearly didn't want him. Despite having a couple of years to run on his contract, Brett Stewart is likely to be the first player to ask for a release, with Canterbury ready to roll out the red carpet. And don't rule out Souths making a play for him, even allowing for Greg Inglis' presence.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/the-repeat-set---stewart-benji-and-blunders-/1960zgwevwnf918muhg71uplh9

Co-captain Jason King admits Manly players were left devastated after team-mate Glenn Stewart hauled them into a room to confirm this season will be his last at the club.

Stewart ended months of speculation over his future on Tuesday morning, signing a two-year deal with South Sydney from next season.

Sea Eagles management didn't even bother to offer the representative forward a contract for 2015 and beyond as the salary-cap squeeze takes hold at Brookvale.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/jason-king-devastated-by-glenn-stewart-departure/1ja2lprmq8w7b1wg2yrsjk16cz

I personally think this is rubbish. Sure there will be some very disappointed players and probably some resentment. But why would a group of mates all leave just to prove a point, and end up playing against each other ?

I also thought that Brett only wanted to play with Glen. So why would he go to the bulldogs?

And of course players who are not part of the original group from the mid-2000s are going to be less emotional about his departure. That's human nature.

If I'm wrong, then so be it.

And like all of us, I'm really disappointed. I think that over the next couple of years we will need to get used to this. Our roster is ageing and will look quite different by 2017.

Sad day for the club. Gifty has been great for us.

As much as i hate this, these things are going to happen. We have no money left in the cap.

Thanks for everything Glenn. You will be missed.

Napper said:
I'm nearly in tears.

All the effort and gambling Manly take on guys like Gift Snake Choc Matai Ballin Dce Foz.

There needs to be exemptions on players that debut and play 5+ consecutive years at 1 club. It's just unfair.

I hope he's on $800,000 a season with them. Good luck Gift. :(
Nearly tears FFS pick up your bottom lip, no player is bigger then the club.... Good luck to him, NEXTED. There's always some one ready for there shot at the big time.

As some of you may remember I am a Souths supporter. Of course I recognise that Glenn Stewart will be a big loss to Manly and although he will be welcomed with open arms I must say that this is one aspect of the Salary cap that saddens me.....long term players who clearly have a bond with the club where they have spent a decade or more and are virtually forced to move on to accommodate balancing the salary cap is a major failing of the system.

I would hate to see a player like John Sutton get pushed out of Souths for no reason other than balancing a salary cap. The NRL needs to review the treatment of long serving players, I personally think that once a player achieves 10 years with one club then they should have a blanket exemption, it's not as though many ever get to that threshold and it should be a recognition of loyalty. My goodness we see so little of it in sport these days and a game that prides itself on it's tribal roots should at least allow that. Fans get attached to players, sharing the journey with them. Glenn will be great for Souths but the circumstances don't sit well with me.

A nice post on fb by one of our most passionate Manly man Max Delmege .

Manly would have loved to be able to retain the outstanding football abilities of Gifty Stewart. Gifty gave Manly his all BUT... Unfortunately because of the NRL salary cap restrictions we were unable to rearward Glenn with the remuneration he justly deserved. We as Manly SUPPORTERS should appreciate, respect and cherish what Glenn has given our club. Towards that end the only comments I would like to read should entail words of support and wishing him the utmost success with his new club Souths Sydney. Good luck Gifty, I THANK and ADMIRE you for all you have done for my beloved club.

Thanks Gifty you are an admirable player that has served this club with honour and integrity you will be sorely missed.
Sending the old guy out with another premiership is the only fitting reward.

Before this transfer can happen, do the NRL have to ratify or register Glenn's new contract or whatever ?

Is there anything that can go wrong with this process? Has the cooling off period already expired ?, in which case the movement of Glenn would have been known by quite a few for a week or more.

I wonder if this had anything at all to do with Brett's loss of concentration er, 'error of judgement' the other morning ?

Everyone leaves eventually.

I look forward to seeing the club grow from here. With Gift missing a week here and there we can ease into things as well.

I am curious to see how he goes when not part of an awesome Manly system.

In protest of Glenn leaving Manly I gave up following Nrl for about 5 minutes but then I clicked on Silvertails again.
I have 1 game left on my 3 game membership and I hope to make it down for Glenn's final game at Brookie.
The guy's a Manly legend and can't thank him enough for his contribution.

The NRL admin are incompetent fools. A curse on all of you for allowing this to happen.

Just dumb. Just stupid. Just wrong. Just, unjust.

Still haven't worked out to explain this to my boys.

As a former Wollongong boy myself I'm thankful for Giftys great contribution to the mighty Manly Sea Eagles.

Will be hard seeing him run out in another teams colours, but I wish him
All the best for his future.

Thanks for the memories Gifty.

Thanks Gifty for all your toiling for the team and club you love. We understand you will lose some skin for the bunnies but the blood will always be maroon.:p And from what I see you are not a man to burn bridges, so I'm seriously looking forward to seeing you rock up to Manly training in a few years time to coach/assist our boys (in a big maroon hummer that was bought with the new contract).;)

Perry & crew, credit to you for maintaining your integrity throughout what has been a hard time, and not resorting to the cheating other clubs have done in the past in similar situations. That the NRL didn't recognize our club for always doing the right thing reflects on them not you.

Last year there was the 'Darkest Day in Australian Sport', today (for a little bit) I felt that way. Terrible to lose Gifty, he is Manly through and through and I just love him. He along with players like Kitey will always be Sea Eagles in my eyes.

And what hurts most is to lose him to souths......god I hate souths. When my son found out today he said 'will souths win premierships now?'. I had to set him straight and say 'no, they'll stick suck, but there will be 1 player there now we just can't hate'.

Gifty you are an absolute legend. You're combination on the right side with Jamie Lyon will be talked about for years to come. The pounding you gave that idiot Blair will never be forgotten. And most of all that GF in 2011 will live in Manly folklore as long as there are still Sea Eagles. Many years from now kids will watch the 39th minute of the GF and say 'daddy what was that player thinking?' and their dads will smile and say 'he wasn't son, it was all skill and instinct, that's why he was a legend'.

Good luck! And hope you player for NSW and Australia in the years to come so we can continue to support you fully!

I love Stewie like the rest of you, but when one of our players sign for another team mid year, it leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth for that player. What's the difference between Stewart and T-Rex?

I'm really sorry, but Stewart has decided to move on and chase the dollars..I think we should start focusing on the players that DO intend on remaining, and blood them on the field.

There's zero loyalty coming fans way from the players and NRL, I'm just going to have apathy for individuals now. It's all about the team and future, and Glenn's not part of that anymore.

Have Choc, Horo (who needs to lift big time) and Buhrer start, with Symonds off the bench.

I'm not interested in watching a player who is going to be doing their best to sink us next season run around for us...I don't care who that is.

If Matai wants to threaten a huge exodus, or Foran / B. Stewart want to leave, then put your hand up now and go..no more dragging this crap out.

I understand why the NRL don't bother with names on the jerseys. No-ones around long enough to make it worth it.

We'll all have to suffer this BS next season too with DCE playing his contract crap out in the media like he always does, as too Foran.

I just wish we could watch our boys from the beaches rip in, but do we truly have any? The NRL's rento player system.

I know how Sharks felt now with the Bulldohs almost shafting them.

^ I wonder how much of it was "chasing the dollars" (prefer maximising contract value) and/or Nrl determining a minimum contract value way over and above Manly's allowable cap space?

As someone else said somewhere, be interesting to see what would happen if (not that we are, or would) we made a play for a sutton or a merritt, how fast the nrl rules would change.

It's also been kinda funny to read an article on "sportal" saying dce was cold and dismissive....then a couple of hours later that exact word "cold"being used on here in some posters' own context.

I'd suggest aiming a bit higher than sportal if some are going to re-package their thoughts, surely.

Ryan said:
I love Stewie like the rest of you, but when one of our players sign for another team mid year, it leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth for that player. What's the difference between Stewart and T-Rex?

I'm really sorry, but Stewart has decided to move on and chase the dollars..I think we should start focusing on the players that DO intend on remaining, and blood them on the field.

There's zero loyalty coming fans way from the players and NRL, I'm just going to have apathy for individuals now. It's all about the team and future, and Glenn's not part of that anymore.

Have Choc, Horo (who needs to lift big time) and Buhrer start, with Symonds off the bench.

I'm not interested in watching a player who is going to be doing their best to sink us next season run around for us...I don't care who that is.

If Matai wants to threaten a huge exodus, or Foran / B. Stewart want to leave, then put your hand up now and go..no more dragging this crap out.

I understand why the NRL don't bother with names on the jerseys. No-ones around long enough to make it worth it.

We'll all have to suffer this BS next season too with DCE playing his contract crap out in the media like he always does, as too Foran.

I just wish we could watch our boys from the beaches rip in, but do we truly have any? The NRL's rento player system.

I know how Sharks felt now with the Bulldohs almost shafting them.

Totally disagree. After waiting 8 months Gift didn't even receive an offer from Manly. Not many players would've waited that long, what did u expect him to do???

just had a peek at the Rabbits site (I feel F..ing dirty now)

Footballer with brains. Great signing. I hope his smarts can flow through to the rest of the team.

lol

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8