Gift gone...... to Souths!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Its really very sad but with this salary cap issue, inevitable. Would love to have had him finish off his career at Manly, like Kite. I suspect one or two others will be leaving or retiring by the end of this year.

But I dont think either the Manly club or Stewart are to blame for this happening. Stewart has to look after his future and he is no doubt seen as a replacement for Burgess. Manly on the other hand has some money to use now in retaining Hiku and hopefully the Trbojevics, Gutherson, Sao, Chee-Kam etc.

Realistically Manly had to look to the future lest they lose that future to other clubs. It may mean we sacrifice Brett as well...I certainly hope not. But the League has designed a system (except for the TPAs) to ensure an even balance of talent across the comp and that's for the betterment of the game.

I can only say best wishes to Glenn and thank him for the wonderful entertainment he has given. He remains in my top 17 Manly team of all time, and will always remain in my mind a Manly Legend.

Like many, I'm gutted and still can't believe that the NRL allow this to happen.

Manly were forced to make a decision and made the right one in focusing on the up and comers. But it's a decision they shouldn't have had to make.

All we can do now is send him out a premiership winner.

Because we all know he won't be winning anything with the Vermin.

Gifty, when you first pull that Cardinal & Myrtle jersey on, and each time thereafter, it will never compare to the glory that is the Maroon & White in which you’ve played so well so often the past 11 seasons - one of the great Manly Warringah players of all time!

Wishing you well in the coming years, hopefully you get paid & play well, except when you face Manly – on those occasions you’re gonna get smashed.

Thanks for all the great plays, and great memories mate, including in the Country, Kangaroos and NSW jerseys, let’s send you out in 2014 with another Manly Premiership!

Bearfax said:
But the League has designed a system (except for the TPAs) to ensure an even balance of talent across the comp and that's for the betterment of the game.

There is nothing even about this competition. Just look at the draw. Look at the amount of television one club, in particular, receives, and the resultant sponsorship money this generates for them.

Even!

All clubs come into the competition equally. It's just some are more equal than others - Animal Farm.

The Who said:
Bearfax said:
But the League has designed a system (except for the TPAs) to ensure an even balance of talent across the comp and that's for the betterment of the game.

There is nothing even about this competition. Just look at the draw. Look at the amount of television one club, in particular, receives, and the resultant sponsorship money this generates for them.

Even!

All clubs come into the competition equally. It's just some are more equal than others - Animal Farm.

Didnt say it happens, and the TPAs are examples where the equality doesnt exists, but it better than what it was before. Sure the richer clubs and the clubs with clever management will always find a way to gain advantage. I'm not so cynical about the draw, but the aim of the salary cap was to make things more equal. But we're dealing with humans here not numbers.

Expect to see more performances like the tigers game starting with this Sunday. Raiders are specials. Dreadful decision which will have long term damage for this club. I don't think this will be the last of the group to go.

It's terrible the reaction this signing is getting by Souths fans; they don't like it at all.

Fancy having to go and play for a pack of inbred grub fans who don't like you.

Huge shame to see Gift leave, but he derves top dollar.

Thanks for the memories - inspirational service & leadership over 12 seasons.

Lets send him out on top, just like Beaver '08.

Rate Glenn right up there with the Beave, as 1 of my alltime fave Manly players. Equal of Bozo, Eadie, T.Randall, cliffy, Hasler, Tooves, King, Kite, choc, Matai & snake.

NRL should support / reward loyalty, with cap discounts for long-term club servants & should've increased cap with last tv deal, but too late now.

Dopey Smith & predeceser, News LTD "puppet" Gallop have brought our great game to it's knees (turds).

And forgot Killer's another of my alltime legends.cheers

COMMANDER said:
It's terrible the reaction this signing is getting by Souths fans; they don't like it at all.

Fancy having to go and play for a pack of inbred grub fans who don't like you.
You have to excuse them, of course they have no idea what it takes to win a premiership. How could they?

Well doesn't all this royally spoil the lamb roast.

Can only echo the views that this doesn't derail our season, and the guys get even more determined to send Glenn out a winner.

Yeah it's like the end of an era...Kite, Nood, Rose and now Gifty...but it had to happen sooner or later.

Would've preferred he go to the Raiders rather than the Vermin, but I guess Glenn wanted to stay in Sydney.

Will be interesting to see how this does affect the playing group...the club needs to be bigger than any one player...but it's just not right.

And I just won't be able to cheer for him in a Rabbids jumper.

Crusher_Cleal said:
As much as I love Gift, and think he's an all-time Manly great, is it possible his best years are behind him? Hasn't looked anything special this year.

Man of the match against cowboys with his toughness, work & leadership, after choc went off - imho. Always gives his all.

Foran also skillful & brave after doing his leg.

The Wheel said:
HappilyManly said:
Manly already told Snake that they won't release him. Plus he has a four year @650k contract. No one in the NRL has that much left under their cap.
I am sure the roosters could find some space......

If the Roosters* miss on on snake, they could chase $800k / season Benji.

The asterix is an indication that soon the NRL will not recognise a 2013 premiership winner.

Brissie Kid said:
Ronnie Gibbs, Matt Ridge, Beaver all announced mid season they were going all left with a grand final win.

"Oooh, it's on again!"
[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/Lh-RUA02rdE[/video]

That's the only time I've seen this great team of the last decade lose it's cool. Such wonderful memories and at the heart of it all has been the Stewarts. To think this brilliant combination won't play together again is criminal (pending Snake bailing). The NRL should be ashamed of this but instead they will be rejoicing.

It's very sad to see Gift have to leave because of the cap, but it is what it is and it's why all the teams are so close this year after 7 rounds.

Obviously Dave Perry and the rest of the management team tried desperately to work around the financial issues but Souths offered more money for Gift (or longer tenure) to secure his future with his family, which no one can begrudge.

I'm sure Manly management have a future plan in place and securing Foz, DCE, Buhrer, Chee-Kam, Hiku, the Turbos plus some of the other outstanding younger guys coming through, to secure the long term future of the club is a priority. Plus, given the talent, they may have had to pay overs due to other clubs interest (like Hiku).

There's been more notable guys leave due to salary cap or better offers and we've continued to survive successfully and more so than other clubs.

As for Weidler...he's just stating an old quote from Skivvy and trying to sensationalise it all to get viewers, as the media/press is inclined to do, but more particularly him.

With Snake however, I remind everyone what position Inglis plays for Qld and Australia. If Snake really wants to go with Gift (as much as I'd hate it), let him go, as it would be too destabilising for the club and other players to have a player who did not want to be at Manly. He's been very vocal on his attitude regarding playing against Gift (maybe they'll just sit him out each game against Souths!!!).

Very sad day I hope Glenn is welcomed with open arms at Souths as he is a terrific player and a champion bloke every Manly player and supporter will miss him. Agreed the best send off will me a Grand Final win in 2014 get your money on it now!!!!!

He really has given his all. What more could we ask? Good luck to you Glenn and looking forward to your return in some capacity.

Interesting interviews on Foxsports. King is absolutely gutted you could tell in his voice and demeanour. DCE was very cold and clinical about it. Basically said he's glad he's got his future sorted and we move on....hmmmm. The rift rumours of last year not so fanciful it seems. DCE didn't express any disappointment at Gift going.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2