Gift gone...... to Souths!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
^ Yeah, if it's true that we didn't even make him an offer, it sucks. Like everyone else, I understand the salary cap issues the club is facing but we should be better than that. Having a player like Gifty going to another NRL club makes us less special - more like every other club, where the "rugby league is a business" line gets trotted out with monotonous regularity. Obviously that's exactly what the morons at the NRL want - for Manly to be like every other club.

The Prince of Brookvale said:
The only team in contention for Brett's services is Souffs.

They cant afford him now after spending big on Grant and Gifty. ...well they shouldnt be able to anyway.

Apart from GI and SB, do they actually have any high priced Players ?

Tim Grant had a couple of years left on his contract, so maybe they are sharing his cost with Penrith :cool:

I just hope that Snake makes a decision and states it officially, so that the DT don't continue to harass him/us with defection stories :dodgy:

Berkeley_Eagle said:
just had a peek at the Rabbits site (I feel F..ing dirty now)

Footballer with brains. Great signing. I hope his smarts can flow through to the rest of the team.

lol
Their collective IQ with Gift in the team will definitely be higher.
The fans will still be intellectually challenged though.

I wouldnt be panicking with Glenn Stewart leaving and the threat of a player revolt. Glenn has been a great player for us and will always be a Manly Legend. But all the talk of a revolt is just that...emotional talk.

When the dust settles, these guys arent going to walk out to the uncertainty of other clubs so late in their careers. And who could afford them now? Most clubs dont have that sort of money left over. These guys love playing for Manly. That's why there's such a reaction to Kite and Gifty going. Nobody WANTS to go...unless the money is that much bigger.

I would be surprised when the dust settles that anyone will voluntarily leave, even Brett. The big question will be who we can afford to keep when they come to the end of their contracts. There's a bunch of kids on the rise in this club, that other clubs will be very interested in. Manly needs to be able to offer them enough for them to stay because I think they also would prefer Manly to somewhere else.

When I woke up this morning I was hoping it would have been magically fixed over night by an NRL admin team that cared about clubs, players and fans.
As that mythical creature doesn't exist I now no longer believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny either.
But Manly is real and will continue to be the best rugby league club in the world. The club that nobody wants to leave.

niccipops said:
When I woke up this morning I was hoping it would have been magically fixed over night by an NRL admin team that cared about clubs, players and fans.
As that mythical creature doesn't exist I now no longer believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny either.
But Manly is real and will continue to be the best rugby league club in the world. The club that nobody wants to leave.

What about the Tooth Fairy? I had a lot invested in the Tooth Fairy when I was younger..... and more toothsome

Ryan said:
What's the difference between Stewart and T-Rex?

I'm really sorry, but Stewart has decided to move on and chase the dollars
Oh dear, Ryan's lost it completely :D

Different circumstances but, I remember it was a blow to see Bob Fulton & Fatty Vautin finish their days with Easts.
The departure of Michael Monahan & of course, Beaver left us wondering as well, until the next crop of legends come through the ranks with your mates saying,
"Hey, that new Manly kid goes alright..."

Ryan said:
I love Stewie like the rest of you, but when one of our players sign for another team mid year, it leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth for that player. What's the difference between Stewart and T-Rex?

I'm really sorry, but Stewart has decided to move on and chase the dollars..I think we should start focusing on the players that DO intend on remaining, and blood them on the field.

There's zero loyalty coming fans way from the players and NRL, I'm just going to have apathy for individuals now. It's all about the team and future, and Glenn's not part of that anymore.

Have Choc, Horo (who needs to lift big time) and Buhrer start, with Symonds off the bench.

I'm not interested in watching a player who is going to be doing their best to sink us next season run around for us...I don't care who that is.

If Matai wants to threaten a huge exodus, or Foran / B. Stewart want to leave, then put your hand up now and go..no more dragging this crap out.

I understand why the NRL don't bother with names on the jerseys. No-ones around long enough to make it worth it.

We'll all have to suffer this BS next season too with DCE playing his contract crap out in the media like he always does, as too Foran.

I just wish we could watch our boys from the beaches rip in, but do we truly have any? The NRL's rento player system.

I know how Sharks felt now with the Bulldohs almost shafting them.

Mate, what if Glenn was told that there would be no offer, as the salary cap restraints simply won't allow it? What is he meant to do? The fact it dragged out for so long tells me that both he and the club were exploring every avenue they could to keep him at Manly until they realised that it just wasn't possible. I'm in no way blaming the club here. I think we have done marvelously well to keep as many of our premiership winning squad together for as long as we have. While I agree with your dislike of the contract negotiations always being played out in the media, this is not something that is exclusive to Manly players, and I think it's the managers who are to blame, not the players.

When I first saw the headline that he had signed with Souffs (why them of all clubs?) for 2015 and 2016 my first reaction was WTF??

I knew it was bound to happen though. After all, over time we have let the likes of Bob Fulton, Paul Vautin and Steve Menzies go. I just hope Souffs realise the talent they are getting. Like his former team mate Beaver was, Gift is more than just your average back rower.

Gifty, thank you for all that you've done in helping make this club a force again after we were all but wiped out thanks to the Super League War. A champion player and lets see if we can send you to Souffs with a 3rd premiership ring!!!! (that'll be 3 more than most of his new team mates combined).

My greatest memory of Gifty? A no brainer really. His grubber kick for Robbo in the 2011 GF win over the Warriors that lead to his winning the Clive Churchill Medal. Who else, including most halves in the NRL, would have had the balls to put in a grubber kick inside their own quarter in a GF?

c eagle said:
Napper said:
I'm nearly in tears.

All the effort and gambling Manly take on guys like Gift Snake Choc Matai Ballin Dce Foz.

There needs to be exemptions on players that debut and play 5+ consecutive years at 1 club. It's just unfair.

I hope he's on $800,000 a season with them. Good luck Gift. :(
Nearly tears FFS pick up your bottom lip, no player is bigger then the club.... Good luck to him, NEXTED. There's always some one ready for there shot at the big time.

Than* their*

So i'm not allowed to be disappointed when one of the greatest locks to ever wear a Manly jersey is leaving?

Sorry mate, next time I'll have a party.

Napper said:
c eagle said:
Napper said:
I'm nearly in tears.

All the effort and gambling Manly take on guys like Gift Snake Choc Matai Ballin Dce Foz.

There needs to be exemptions on players that debut and play 5+ consecutive years at 1 club. It's just unfair.

I hope he's on $800,000 a season with them. Good luck Gift. :(
Nearly tears FFS pick up your bottom lip, no player is bigger then the club.... Good luck to him, NEXTED. There's always some one ready for there shot at the big time.

Than* their*

So i'm not allowed to be disappointed when one of the greatest locks to ever wear a Manly jersey is leaving?

Sorry mate, next time I'll have a party.

You could have a pity party and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

I'm wondering what our reaction would be if say someone like Paul Gallen was forced out reluctantly from the Sharks due to the cap at the age of 31/32 and Manly signed him up. I wouldn't be happy paying big dollars for someone who truely can't have his heart in the joint and was just there for a retirement package. Good luck Gift glad you got a payout for retirement same with Kite.

HoldenV8 said:
. . . . . I just hope Souffs realise the talent they are getting . . . . .
Whilst he is the type of forward they actually need, not sure he'll fit in with their playing style, well at first anyway.

Their forwards game is built on brawn, huge guys charging the ball up the centre. A couple of their forwards may be a little flummoxed by the ball playing, and Sutton is barely 'imaginative'.

I just cant quite see it all working, well not up to the high value i'm sure they've paid for his services anyway.

mickqld said:
I'm wondering what our reaction would be if say someone like Paul Gallen was forced out reluctantly from the Sharks due to the cap at the age of 31/32 and Manly signed him up. I wouldn't be happy paying big dollars for someone who truely can't have his heart in the joint and was just there for a retirement package. Good luck Gift glad you got a payout for retirement same with Kite.

Sometimes old players really want to go. Irvine wanted a premiership for example. So if gall wanted to come in that scenario he'd be welcome.

mickqld said:

What like Ben Kennedy?
You play your guts out for your team no matter who they are.

I'm talking in relation to Gift's senario. He hasn't gone looking for a new club or a new challenge or a better team or chasing dollars. He's taken what's come along because we didn't offer him a contract in other words we retrenched him. He clearly doesn't want to go. Kennedy was nothing like this case.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8