Fainu and Suli

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So a Coach would want a hooker to lack defensive energy and intensity yeah right.

A Coach might say pace yourself at times to not take away from your impact at Dummy Half but even that would be a stretch because it encourages laziness.

TC I’m interested to know how many times you watched Saturday’s game and what footage you’re watching it on?

• 🤝
Reactions: lsz
A couple of things

1. I am replying here under the belief that TC at least knows when he slips into troll mode
2. Most of the comments are around physicality - kid is in his first full year of first grade in the toughest position (impact wise etc ) on the park. It stands to reason it will take him some time to get better and adapt
3. As shakey just pointed out I am not sure how you can make such broad assumptions from TV. I do not understand the game like many on here but I know you can not judge it from TV

A couple of things

1. I am replying here under the belief that TC at least knows when he slips into troll mode
2. Most of the comments are around physicality - kid is in his first full year of first grade in the toughest position (impact wise etc ) on the park. It stands to reason it will take him some time to get better and adapt
3. As shakey just pointed out I am not sure how you can make such broad assumptions from TV. I do not understand the game like many on here but I know you can not judge it from TV
I feel 1 thing you can judge by is the quality of the opposition....Storm at home is the hardest gig in the NRL for a 19 year old in such a key position.
This can be watched live, TV....at a local big screen at the pub....live you do see the off the ball efforts admittedly, but in the end the facts don't lie.
This kid played like an experienced rep star and these defensive frailties I may be missing, but made many tackles on the likes of Bromwich, Asofa Solomona and backed it up with sharp attack in the ruck.....I will go far as to say this thread is on the confusing side, as we have basically unleashed a future Manly and rep star who just outplayed the GOAT as they call him (Smith).

No one's said anything about Fainu and his calf cramps on Saturday night. He played exceptionally well against the Storm and he was lucky to even have played at all. You could see he was distressed and struggling to dart out of dummy half as he normally would and it's a credit to him that he managed to get through the whole game without being subbed off. It wasn't long ago that he could only play for 30 to 40 minutes so to play for nearly 100 minutes against arguably the yard stick of the competition said lots about his character and ability.

I can see where TC is coming from re Fainu. There's always a mad rush to declare people superstars on limited information. Fainu is a very exciting prospect but whether or not he makes it all the way will depend on him and how hard he is willing to work and iron out those smaller issues which I think are in fact there as TC suggests. I think we need to calm our farm a bit on him. That's not meant as criticism of a great prospect. He has the potential and we all hope he makes it and most of us can see his huge upside, but I still think a dual role with Api starting and then Fainu come on fresh against tired forwards will be the most devastating in the back end of this year.

And you wonder why teams all play the same way, they are boring carbon copies of each other on the field, on the training paddock, in the administration and with the same mindsets of what works and what doesn't.

Rugby League analysis is 20yrs behind where it should be for 80% of the clubs.

With respect.. have you played rugby league?? No need to answer if you don’t wish too..

You obviously have a wealth of technical knowledge which you apply a little negatively for mine.. but I digress...

I ask this because you talk like a manager who’s running a factory, the sort of guy that can recite specs and regulations endlessly, but wouldn’t know a 10mm spanner from a 6” crowbar.

“Rugby league analysis is 20 years behind” yada yada yada...

The point I’m getting at, is that footy is a simple game at heart, and the over regimented, role playing and percentage biased game that it’s become is a far cry from what footy is at its soul. We are losing the skills and intuition and real grit that separates the greats from the mere mortals.

It used to be about physical, mental and almost spiritual toughness: every inch of ground was earned with pain, sweat, fear and the blood of the players. Every point earned was through the guile and skill of the playmakers.

It wasn’t planned out to the second, corridor by corridor with zones and KPI’s and the like. You played hard, busted your gut and the only KPI you had to achieve was the one you set yourself..

I’m well aware that you’ll pan this post as the ramblings of a dinosaur, and that things must evolve or die... and to an extent I agree. But I’d hate to see the sort of instinctive, pure football that we alone tend to pursue, be stamped out by the managerial styles of Bellamy/Bennet et al...

Footy isn’t a product (looking at you Todd!!) that can be tailored to suit the accountants for the best profit and coldly analysed as such.

It’s a way of life, a part of who we are... and no accountant has ever cried after losing a Grand Final.

With respect.. have you played rugby league?? No need to answer if you don’t wish too..

You obviously have a wealth of technical knowledge which you apply a little negatively for mine.. but I digress...

I ask this because you talk like a manager who’s running a factory, the sort of guy that can recite specs and regulations endlessly, but wouldn’t know a 10mm spanner from a 6” crowbar.

The point I’m getting at, is that footy is a simple game at heart, and the over regimented, role playing and percentage biased game that it’s become is a far cry from what footy is at its soul. We are losing the skills and intuition and real grit that separates the greats from the mere mortals.

It used to be about physical, mental and almost spiritual toughness: every inch of ground was earned with pain, sweat, fear and the blood of the players. Every point earned was through the guile and skill of the playmakers.

It wasn’t planned out to the second, corridor by corridor with zones and KPI’s and the like. You played hard, busted your gut and the only KPI you had to achieve was the one you set yourself..

I’m well aware that you’ll pan this post as the ramblings of a dinosaur, and that things must evolve or die... and to an extent I agree. But I’d hate to see the sort of instinctive, pure football that we alone tend to pursue, be stamped out by the managerial styles of Bellamy/Bennet et al...

Footy isn’t a product (looking at you Todd!!) that can be tailored to suit the accountants for the best profit and coldly analysed as such.

It’s a way of life, a part of who we are... and no accountant has ever cried after losing a Grand Final.

PSS ... @KOMORI ....That was so good ... I cut and pasted it and am going to pretend I wrote it ........

Great post
It encapsulates why I love rugby league

It’s a simple game and still is at heart.... and Komoris dinasaur stuff is still incredibly relevant ...because even today the team that runs hardest and tackles hardest still wins the vast majority of games regardless of angles and technical mumbo jumbo. That’s why if you are off 5 per cent in attitude you lose, even with the most complicated and well thought out game plan. The intangible effort that can’t be measured or prescribed usually is the difference.

I’d hate to watch or play footy like our friend TC does.... footy is a game to throw yourself into, ride every play and let the emotions flow. That’s why we love it and keep coming back. And that’s why kids like Fainu, who play the game with flare and joy, who are footballers and not programmed robots, grab our attention and will do for a long time yet, flaws and all.Get rid of blokes like him, or Tommy, or Mitchell or Ponga to be replaced by TC robots and the game is dead. Nothing surer.

Last edited:
Great post
It encapsulates why I love rugby league

It’s a simple game and still is at heart.... and Komoris dinasaur stuff is still incredibly relevant ...because even today the team that runs hardest and tackles hardest still wins the vast majority of games regardless of angles and technical mumbo jumbo. That’s why if you are off 5 per cent in attitude you lose, even with the most complicated and well thought out game plan. The intangible effort that can’t be measured or prescribed usually is the difference.

I’d hate to watch or play footy like our friend TC does.... footy is a game to throw yourself into, ride every play and let the emotions flow. That’s why we love it and keep coming back. And that’s why kids like Fainu, who play the game with flare and joy, who are footballers and not programmed robots, grab our attention and will do for a long time yet, flaws and all.Get rid of blokes like him, or Tommy, or Mitchell or Ponga to be replaced by TC robots and the game is dead. Nothing surer.

They haven’t quite succeeded in taking away the ad lib style but they are trying.

The days of Cliffy , Phil Blake and co were magical, anything could happen , anywhere, anytime and it was bloody fun to watch!!

They haven’t quite succeeded in taking away the ad lib style but they are trying.

The days of Cliffy , Phil Blake and co were magical, anything could happen , anywhere, anytime and it was bloody fun to watch!!

Agree ... and I suspect that a modern day casualty of the play by the numbers and run the channels management is Shaun Johnson at Cronulla .... great instinctive talent and runner but always looks like he is hamstrung by needing to play to the beat of someone else's drum ....

Agree ... and I suspect that a modern day casualty of the play by the numbers and run the channels management is Shaun Johnson at Cronulla .... great instinctive talent and runner but always looks like he is hamstrung by needing to play to the beat of someone else's drum ....

Yes he’s a very good example.

Tommy was given a license to roam free in SOO2 and look at that result.

I think a reduction in the interchange by a couple could bring those players back into play.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8