Elgey Improving

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Not sure if I'm being harsh or not, but I kinda expected a little more from him to be honest. Must admit didn't watch a lot of his Titans career, but I figured a half with about 50 NRL games experience and some wraps would offer a bit more than what Kane has so far this season. Maybe it's just a combination thing and players still getting used to him, but he needs to lift the impact he is having

Guys, don't be critical. He's Origin class, and possibly the best 5/8 in the game and possibly world. Makes Munster look like Herman.

LG kicking game is getting better with each week. Made some really good kicks. His short kicking game has definetly been most improved.

Growing into a good halves partner for DCE.
Yes I thought he was good again today - missed a couple of opportunities but was still good. Very very solid in defence again which was his real Achilles heel. Just love reading some of the emotional crap written on here - nooo idea lol. Closest they have ever come to playing league is sitting in their lounge chair.

LG is improving but he will always pass as soon as he gets the ball rather that running into the line.
A few good kicks and tackles today. :nod:

Not sure if I'm being harsh or not, but I kinda expected a little more from him to be honest. Must admit didn't watch a lot of his Titans career, but I figured a half with about 50 NRL games experience and some wraps would offer a bit more than what Kane has so far this season. Maybe it's just a combination thing and players still getting used to him, but he needs to lift the impact he is having
The bloke can play....almost a bit in the DCE shadow atm, scared to take a chance, where as at the Titans had a licence to drive off a cliff......
His defence has been solid on most occasions, but in attack is a little telegraphed playing to a structure which he is simply...a footballer...and not used to it.
If only Tom T was there as the extra attacking option, will feed of the half chances and second phase play which is his best attribute...all in all - doing well and still growing into his role.

Hopefully I'm allowed to say this without reprise.

But The Titans attacking line played a lot deeper, which gave Elgey more time and options, meaning he looked a lot more controlled.

Des plays a flatter attacking line (which has its positives and negatives.)

That said I do think he'll click and come good. I think it'll take 10 or so games.

Thought he took a slight backward step tonight after being pretty happy with his steady improvement thus far..After last week his confidence should have been high but didn’t really get into game for some reason. Has skill but just needs to back himself more. Defence is better but needs to contribute and take pressure off DCE.DCE was playing both sides of the field at times today which is a good thing but part of the reason is Kane not involving himself more.

He is getting more confident in attack but is stifled by the lines those on his outside run. He has a tendency to crab across the field a bit, but unlike in Ox’s day there’s no Matai or Watmough running a straight or inside line for him to link up with. This is all just combination development which is why it is rare for halves to click straight away in new teams.

He defended well enough again which is promising. In reality we don’t need another star half to partner DCE, but Elgey can more than perform what is required and certainly above what I assume he is being paid. Just needs some time.

Some thought Green was what we needed,some thought he was useless,we don't need 2 stars in the halves.Elgey just needs to do whatever job Des wants from him and work well with DCE,the improvement in DCE since the start of the season might suggest that Elgey is working in nicely with the playing group,but still a way to go...We had Hodkinson and Croker in the reggies and they got pumped,might be because they have never played together before....

Guys, don't be critical. He's Origin class, and possibly the best 5/8 in the game and possibly world. Makes Munster look like Herman.

it was either a laugh or a dummy spit ..... but I'm a nice guy ... and it did put a smile on my dial

I know you are just being a little bit naughty,but on another note...Munster has not been that impressive this year,good defender but without Slater their attack has struggled and become a little predictable.Munster has become a bit predictable in his attack too.

Last I saw Munster was clearly leading Dally M points before this weeks round Smokin and is favourite to win the games award as best player in comp so I don’t reckon he’s been ordinary. Couple of games he’s been downright sensational. Three one on one strips in one game a couple of weeks ago.Kids a grub but he’s a star. Made for origin.
Let’s just say he and Keary are light years ahead of anyone else at the moment.
Unfortunately we don’t have a spare mill....

Last I saw Munster was clearly leading Dally M points before this weeks round Smokin and is favourite to win the games award as best player in comp so I don’t reckon he’s been ordinary. Couple of games he’s been downright sensational. Three one on one strips in one game a couple of weeks ago.Kids a grub but he’s a star. Made for origin.
Let’s just say he and Keary are light years ahead of anyone else at the moment.
Unfortunately we don’t have a spare mill....
Each to their own...love his effort but Dally M points are awarded by who?means nothing to me Sue,still think his attack is becoming predictable...You would swap him for DCE?(if he and Keary are the best)

Sorry not sure your point Joe. And blokes don’t get consistent two or three points by a different judges every week and be favourite to win Dally M if they are ordinary.

DCE is playing halfback He will be playing halfback for Qld and Munster will be 5/8.

The thread is about Kane’s improvement at 5/8 isn’t it...he is progressing ok and I think he has skills and have always maintained after watching him play for years as a junior that if he can get his confidence and physical presence in order he’ll be good for us. Ive been one of his biggest supporters.

Kane is a 5/8. Munster is a five eight, As is Keary.Thats why their names were mentioned. Where DCE fits in is confusing
And no I wouldn’t swap him for any other halfback.

Last edited:
Elgey 's front on defence has really improved and this was a previous concern so he has done well there . Has natural attacking instincts and should continue to improve in this area as well for Manly :s current style of play and with a bit more fluency Same as his general kicking game . Going .OK and should still have some more improvement in him

Sorry not sure your point Joe. Hacks don’t get consistent two or three points by a different judges every week if they are ordinary.

DCE is playing halfback He will be playing halfback for Qld and Munster will be 5/8.

The thread is about Kane’s improvement at 5/8 isn’t it....
Hahaha,did not realise I said he was a hack,just said he was becoming a bit predictable in his attack,did not say any other parts of his game were poor/hack.Just an observation that without Slater he is not creating as many scoring opportunities with his group of players....don't the refs award Dally M points?The same refs who are as inept as the three blind mice and can't see Cam Smiths forward passes from dummy half?In regards to the thread being about Elgey,I was just having a lighthearted reply to Ryans post,you took it from there.....

Elgey is doing ok, not setting the world on fire, but definitely doing enough to keep his spot from any threats below him from what I have seen. It will probably take at least half a season to get some decent combos going and for DCE to be comfortable to let go some of the last tackle options.
Hard enough walking into a team as the new 5/8, let along playing with a super star half, and an ordinary backline. Will take time.

Hahaha,did not realise I said he was a hack,just said he was becoming a bit predictable in his attack,did not say any other parts of his game were poor/hack.Just an observation that without Slater he is not creating as many scoring opportunities with his group of players....don't the refs award Dally M points?The same refs who are as inept as the three blind mice and can't see Cam Smiths forward passes from dummy half?In regards to the thread being about Elgey,I was just having a lighthearted reply to Ryans post,you took it from there.....
No they don’t. They have nothing to do with it. They are awarded usually by high profile ex players / journalists working in the media like Brandy , Andrew Ryan etc Refs have not been involved for decades.The Rothmans medal was voted on by the referees and finished with the SuperLeague War in the mid 90s.

Last edited:

A different 'expert' awards Dally M points for each match in a round.

A lot of these are from the DT like Rothfield or Paul Kent, or commentators like Walters, Alexander or Kimmorley.

I generally don't care that much about the Dally M's as it becomes fairly obvious that some players seem to keep accruing points just for turning up, regardless of how well they play, losing side or not.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8