Drop him now?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Should he stay or should he go?

• He should play on

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • Drop the mongrel now

Votes: 28 65.1%

• Total voters
About a year or more ago, I posted in a thread that Jason Hetherington told me that he had spoken to Cherry in origin camp and put the question to him about returning to Qld. He told me, and I told you guys, that he believed if the offer was good enough, Cherry would return to Qld.

I have been living in the hope that he wouldn't. I was wrong. Hetherington, as usual, was right. He has the inside info on pretty much everything that happens in the NRL.

I think that to drop DCE now would serve no purpose, except to shoot ourselves in the foot. I think he went out tonight to play for a win. He was in the thick of it for 80mins, and didn't disappear when it got tough. Like it or not, we don't have a better option, and if he's willing to put in for the rest of the year, it would only punish ourselves and not him if we dropped him.

For the record, and although I can't bring myself to do it.....you are all free to continue the kicking of him.

I am gutted.

Under most circumstances I'd say he should stay and play but the way he's gone about conducting his business has really damaged my respect for the bloke.
I always want to cheer for my team but after tonight's announcement I feel like I'm supporting 16 players and some guy I want to see get smashed...

And if Foz announces he is leaving next year, what then @andrew ? Should he be dropped to? We'd really be up sh1t creek then.

We need to look at the situation with a calm level head and do what's best for the club. Cherry should be made to earn his last years pay, and I think he will. In the very least, he has the rest of his career, rep footy etc to play for. He won't do himself any favours by lying down each week and not performing, and it won't do us any good to drop him if we can't replace him immediately.

I think it hit Toovey like a ton of bricks when he was told of DCE's offer being withdrawn live on TV. Not because no one told him first, but because he realised he had just lost his halfback. I bet Orr told the club what Cherry's decision was, and Kelly got in first and told the media the offer had been withdrawn.

A players who signs a contract 12 months out from finishing up with a club. Clearly there is a risk to a club there, it has the ability to unsettle the team for the rest of the year dosen't it? How are the rest of the teams players going to react? the comradery just isn't there and it can derail the season. It works both ways. A player also has to accept just as much risk. If you go signing a contract that far out, if your no longer wanted by your team mates, an out cast. You knew you could derail your own season and end up playing reserves..

How good a player the individual is not what is most important. What is best for the team as a collective and getting the best out of that group of players is. After thinking long and hard, certainly no more then 10 seconds. DCE is playing with willow for mine.

If the Goldy come a knocking and want to do a swap before june 30 this year. Give us Sezer and about $300-$500K for DCE for whats left of the season. Why the hell would we say no?

I'm even happy for LIttle-john and Snake to be the halves next week. Hiku to fullback where he excels. I need something to cheer about this year, so the return to form of wolfman on the wing is looking like a high point right at the moment.

The club moved heaven and earth to keep DCE. Well gifty at least and then choc just left. But I think we have seen the last couple of weeks that DCE can be an unsettling fury little character. I supported the clubs vision for keeping the young blokes and building a team around them for the next decade. It made sense. Ultimately I got it wrong, just as much as the board did. Seems they just don't want our club.

Its time to move on. Life without Daly.

I have never understood why this trend of contracts a year ahead started. My memory was early 90's? I just remember that coach who failed at the Knights started talking crap about wanting to prepare his playing roster that far in advance and then next thing every shep was doing. Like as if Bennett was God.

Lets go back to contract being something discusssed after the grand final is done and dusted. When your contract has ended. Simples....

No player should sign for any longer than12 months. The bastards walk out on contracts, and life situations change from day to day, everyday. It's almost impossible to commit yourself to anything longer than 12 months these days. Especially if you're any good. Other teams come knocking with cheque book in hand every year, if you have a contract or not anyway...

Negotiate immediate release of DCE to Titans. It's untenable for him to play on this year. It'll continue to undermine morale of both players and fans. I'm willing to have an ordinary year for the sake of rebuilding spirit and soul by cutting loose the likes of DCE. Hindsight's now proven that letting Gift go to keep money in the kitty to keep DCE was a huge mistake. Gift is back to top form with that effort against Broncos.

I don't give a **** if you want to go next year then tell me when you've finished your committment here not when you've just played like sht in rd 1 and decide that's a good time to bail you weak little ****. Done nothing but caused havoc in this team for the last 3 years, caused the loss of several club legends who should have ended their careers here and been reveered like igor, freddy jones, max krilich. Sht on my club and I'll sht on you. **** off now daly you are a piss weak little ****rag.

And if Foz announces he is leaving next year, what then @andrew ? Should he be dropped to? We'd really be up sh1t creek then.

We need to look at the situation with a calm level head and do what's best for the club. Cherry should be made to earn his last years pay, and I think he will. In the very least, he has the rest of his career, rep footy etc to play for. He won't do himself any favours by lying down each week and not performing, and it won't do us any good to drop him if we can't replace him immediately.

I think it hit Toovey like a ton of bricks when he was told of DCE's offer being withdrawn live on TV. Not because no one told him first, but because he realised he had just lost his halfback. I bet Orr told the club what Cherry's decision was, and Kelly got in first and told the media the offer had been withdrawn.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said moz....my rational self say's the guys supposed to be a professional and hopefully give 100% for the remainder of the season. I'm just sceptical about everyone being on the same page and having a genuine dig at the premiership. I can't ever remember a more tumultuous start to the season and we haven't even dealt with the possible Foran fallout yet.

Send him to Titans this week or drop him to reggies.
I knew he was gone to the tits last week ,when it was reported his missus was phoning
GC players wives asking about which are the best suburbs to move too.

I'd leave him in. It's not as if he cant play.

Then hope he gets injured after we wrap up the GF.

Seems @susan was correct in that the nrl wanted him at the titans and got their man.....even if they 'don't get involved with player negotiations.'

I reckon there's a fair bit of paper shredding going on at the moment.

He's just not going to put his body on the line for Manly. This in itself will stop the team having full confidence in him.

He now should be given three weeks to prove his full commitment to the team with his on field performances. In the meantime, the decisions by Foz will become clear. Once this is in, Then the decision about dropping one or both of them can be made.
Last night we had more defensive problems out wide and up the middle through the forwards than we did with poor play by the halves.

Drop him. He needs to get used to losing and it will show the Nrl what a farce contract negotiations are.

It all depends on the how the other 16 blokes who run out with him feel about it. If they don't trust him then what is the point ? I'm sure he is professional enough to give 100% but a team sport needs that little extra than the sum of its parts, and a key player being on the outer won't give that.

Personally I think dropping him is just cutting off your nose to spite your face. Unless we can get a decent trade and swap him out straight away then we have to play our best 17, and DCE is in that best 17
I guess it depends on wether they plan to use Littlejohn or if they will go after a bigger name. Time will tell.

NO!!
Agree its poor the way he has disrupted the team but once Matai, Buhrer , Tafua come back the team can compete - & quite simply they will.
I do think however its time to plan ahead & start negotiating some quality for 2016.
Its far too negative to write off manly in 2015 & the Eels would have towelled up most teams tonight.
He has made a poor decision, but is easily the best option for this season, so make him bust his ass all the way in 2015 & Boo him next year.
I guess what I mean is if that's the sort of game we can expect every week.

No he plays. In the front row, and no rotation.

Personally I think it's time to rebuild. Get Tom Trobjevic on the wing, it's probably a year too soon, but he;ll be better for the run. And get Jamie into the halves to lead from there. Jamie will need to be one of our stop gap halves until we either buy or get a half through the lower grades.
I don't think lyon has the motivation & stamina to play in the halves any longer.He looks happy plotting along out wide as it was evident at the later stages towards the end of last year.

Get Dave Smith to give us the money from the player retention pot and drop the bum. The NRL have had a huge influence on Sid going to the GC and it is impossible to imagine he would have gone there without their urgings. This comp is officially an absolute joke. I want white line fever after this announcement.

GUYS ITS NOT JUST DCE FAULT !!!!! FORAN IS TO BLAME EQUALLY.... WITH CONTRACT RESIGNING. HAS FORAN RESIGNED ???? WHEN HE PROMISED US IT WOULD BE DONE BY THE START OF 2015.

also the club created more unnecessary media , if they knew that DCE was going this week , they gained nothing by making public they withdrew his contract.That statement had no impact on anything but kust made our coach look like an idiot on live tv.

last year alot of the players singled him out and criticized him and he did nothing wrong , he was still contracted and playing footy.CHOC DESTROYED HIS CONFIDENCE AND SOME OF HIS FRIENDSHIPS.

THERE IS NO UNITY IN THE TEAM . THE TEAM IS SPLIT 50/50.. So if GC offer him huge money and his not happy at Manly why would he resigned just to be criticized all over again

What i dont get is , all i hear is that gifty was released for DCE ( have we forgotten about back ended contracts , Foran is on the biggest money since day 1 ). DCE was still contracted at the time. If this was entirely the reason well shouldn't the club have signed DCE before letting go gift.

Thats not DCE fault , thats the clubs big mistake. With player managers involved how can anything be guaranteed 9 months out a deadline. - PRIORITY IS A SIGNATURE THEN YOU MOVE ON TO THE NEXT DECISION.

Panash people are upset as this is the culmination of his failure to show some respect during his "process

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6