DCE .. The answer is nigh.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Firstly mate I really don't think it's necessary to be calling anyone an idiot.

Second, whilst I respect your opinion, and you do make some valid points, may I reiterate by saying that performing well at Origin is completely different to doing it consistently at club level. He kicked very well and was ably supported by a stunning performance from the 16 other stars around him (mind you, had Turbo and Latrell played, and NSW win, we're not sitting here discussing DCE'S successful game).

When you say Cleary was bog average a few seasons ago, are you referring to a rookie teenager who was already under rep consideration, despite playing in a struggling team? When you say DCE was calm under pressure on the big stage, did you see him in last year's finals games?

Which halves shine when they are getting smashed? Easy - the very best of them. JT is probably a good example, Joey, Lockyer, Stacy Jones used to carry that Auckland side
Im not saying he doesn't have the occasional stinker. Any player does at times, but saying he cannot organise at all and constantly fails at NRL is way off the mark!

If he is that poor at NRL level, why on earth was he considered to be the Australian half back?

Most agree he is and has been in the top half backs during the last decade or more. Definitely has his flaws but plays more good games than poor imo.

I don't think half back is our problem.

Like I have mentioned, would like to see us get our forwards matching the other top sides and fix the hooker position.

Im not saying he doesn't have the occasional stinker. Any player does at times, but saying he cannot organise at all and constantly fails at NRL is way off the mark!

If he is that poor at NRL level, why on earth was he considered to be the Australian half back?

Most agree he is and has been in the top half backs during the last decade or more. Definitely has his flaws but plays more good games than poor imo.

I don't think half back is our problem.

Like I have mentioned, would like to see us get our forwards matching the other top sides and fix the hooker position.
Absolutely need to sort out our forward pack and hooker as priority

I didnt observe our captain remaining calm under pressure all year, particularly the end of the Storm and Cowboys game.
Not sure dce could be to blame for the storm, but 100% re the cowboys game. Bit of a head shaker that one. Should not have lost that game and agree, not the % play at the end that was required

If you recall the Storm game, they were coming home fast and one try away after manly had a big lead.

In the last minute, DCE gets the ball in space with tackles to spare.....and kicks it for a hail mary, giving the storm a sniff of one last chance of a try, which wasnt out of the question considering they just scored a bunch of tries in the previous 15 minutes to near run manly down.

If you recall the Storm game, they were coming home fast and one try away after manly had a big lead.

In the last minute, DCE gets the ball in space with tackles to spare.....and kicks it for a hail mary, giving the storm a sniff of one last chance of a try, which wasnt out of the question considering they just scored a bunch of tries in the previous 15 minutes to near run manly down.
So true, I was on the Hill that Sat night, and when DCE made that last play...a kick in the in goal, the amount of 4 letter words that Evans copped from the Hill was deafening.

Not sure dce could be to blame for the storm, but 100% re the cowboys game. Bit of a head shaker that one. Should not have lost that game and agree, not the % play at the end that was required
With all due respect (cue: disrespectful comment…) you have been smoking DCE’s cigar on here forever. You have been comparatively quiet this past season (not surprised given DCE had a stinker). The guy is good, and occasionally has a blinder. Plenty of stinkers to go along as well. Can’t organise on a consistent basis to save his invested millions. Your argument boils down to DCE needing a star-studded line-up to look decent. That ain’t gone win anythin* at club level. Even in a Roosters sombrero bent cap he is not going to shine consistently. If he could play in rep teams perpetually he’d look amazing and worth his dollars.

I didn't read much of your response as because as normal you lost my interest after the first few sentences of pointless dribble.

Just answer this? Do you think a half back needs a good side around him to do well? Do you think if Cleary and DCE swapped teams last year the results would have been any different?

Clearly receiving service from Crocker, behind a pack of Marty, Keppie, Aioli etc. Garrick at fullback, or Koula or and outside backs Harper, Parker etc

Do you still think Cleary wins half back of the year in 2021, takes Manly into the semi's in 2022 even with the side we had on the park and all the drama?

When they both play in good sides with support players around them they both look good organisers and can control matches.

DCE outplayed Cleary in origin in a pressure cooker and it was his kicking and game management that won them that decider.

Saying he simply cannot organise is ridiculous.

I feel he over plays his hand at times at club level but if himself or Tom don't create something no one else will. That is the sad and worrying thing.

Panthers are blessed to have a monster ferocious pack that always get them on the front foot. They are relentless. Even their bench is great. Then they have a creative hooker, a gun ball playing lock, a pretty handy dangerous 5/8 and solid full back, as well as gun outside backs which can create tries by themselves.

Im not saying DCE is perfect, just that he can organise, I don't feel that is one of our biggest concerns for 2023. Yes, im with everyone on here, sometimes i wish he wouldn't try so hard, go for the low % plays when its a gamble but I am more concerned about how to we match other sides packs like Penrith. How to we improve our D. We need more impact up front.

And then the hooker, we really need someone like GCKT to have a breakout year.

If we can lure a prop like Flegler and have some of our promising juniors step up. Weekes, Koula, Gordon and Schuster develop into a gun 5/8 then we have a chance to compete.

I feel if we can lay a platform, and have an option at hooker as well as a fit Tom, you won't see DCE trying to do it all himself. Just my opinion but from all the games I watch, not many half backs look good by themselves with a pack that is constantly being dominated and no decent hooker.
Just like Josh Aioli , i admire your belief , but ………Not for me

look i started with a bit of classic fawlty towers, i thought it was relevant as i want sure if you had your hearing aid turned on But obviously i didn't read the room.
But enough dribble i must answer “he who throws toys from cot“

Not that anything you say isnt true about the riff, just not relevant But is a good point because we seem to think its forwards first and only. When the riffs pack go elsewhere due to cap pressure will sorenson and lenu be as good without cleary. its chicken and egg stuff

DCE had one good half if footy out of 6 For qld. But lifes anomalies, your only as good as your last Game is fair enough if this was a qld bloody forum.

His last, second last 12th last etc for manly was shothouse. While you point at the spine , as poor as iswent DCE was not a shining light and is solely responsible for his contract

The whole qld spine had a bigger impact on the series than DCE.( deardon aside ) but grant, ponga, hunt all better by FAAAAR . He had a few good moments, almost anything else is lip service

DCE has had plenty of moments to be Joe Cool for Manly and field Goals aside, has failed just about all of them. Both finals games last season, manlys pack fought back, provided the platform and both times DCE threw it away with the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you describe above. When those moments arose what did you do, honestly, as youve deemed him cool under pressure in those EXACT situations. Was it hands over eyes and tra la la la la la , were you out , do you need me to send you a copy of the games ?

you see , packs, halves , while they may not have dominant seasons, or have reputations , they have dominant moments in games , where we get to see snapshots of ability and intent and there plays in action . When we have those moments and are in cruise control, DCE throws everything on red, while cleary would kick for the corner. Its pretty much that simple. Cleary is no way a better skilled half, he is just a better thinking half . He plays a game that is smarter, and leads to a higher % of wins, better field position and less defence on your own line, and penrith follow

for these reasons clearys packs will divide the sea for him, manlys pack seem to give what they get. the riff chip away while manly are always hoping for one big play.

DCE just wont change his tyres to suit conditions , its that simple , and at 34 on a squillion it costs us more and more each year

if our halfback played first receiver and took the ball to the line , surely that is the first change you make to the spine, just put the current piece's in correct positions and utilise jake better. how does a halfback who wont take the ball to the line get such immunity

Forwards and halves need to be on the same page and effort aside, dominance aside, results aside at manly they are not even in the same book, and until they are, its almost impossible to blame anyone but the director.

DCE is the director , for clarity

With all due respect (cue: disrespectful comment…) you have been smoking DCE’s cigar on here forever. You have been comparatively quiet this past season (not surprised given DCE had a stinker). The guy is good, and occasionally has a blinder. Plenty of stinkers to go along as well. Can’t organise on a consistent basis to save his invested millions. Your argument boils down to DCE needing a star-studded line-up to look decent. That ain’t gone win anythin* at club level. Even in a Roosters sombrero bent cap he is not going to shine consistently. If he could play in rep teams perpetually he’d look amazing and worth his dollars.
Not just dce, any half back. Just facts.

Anyway, not playing origin or in contention to play for Australia if he couldn't organise or is of the best halfbacks in the NRL. Just facts mate, not just my opinion, selectors too. You know, the blokes that select the best players.

Just like Josh Aioli , i admire your belief , but ………Not for me

look i started with a bit of classic fawlty towers, i thought it was relevant as i want sure if you had your hearing aid turned on But obviously i didn't read the room.
But enough dribble i must answer “he who throws toys from cot“

Not that anything you say isnt true about the riff, just not relevant But is a good point because we seem to think its forwards first and only. When the riffs pack go elsewhere due to cap pressure will sorenson and lenu be as good without cleary. its chicken and egg stuff

DCE had one good half if footy out of 6 For qld. But lifes anomalies, your only as good as your last Game is fair enough if this was a qld bloody forum.

His last, second last 12th last etc for manly was shothouse. While you point at the spine , as poor as iswent DCE was not a shining light and is solely responsible for his contract

The whole qld spine had a bigger impact on the series than DCE.( deardon aside ) but grant, ponga, hunt all better by FAAAAR . He had a few good moments, almost anything else is lip service

DCE has had plenty of moments to be Joe Cool for Manly and field Goals aside, has failed just about all of them. Both finals games last season, manlys pack fought back, provided the platform and both times DCE threw it away with the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you describe above. When those moments arose what did you do, honestly, as youve deemed him cool under pressure in those EXACT situations. Was it hands over eyes and tra la la la la la , were you out , do you need me to send you a copy of the games ?

you see , packs, halves , while they may not have dominant seasons, or have reputations , they have dominant moments in games , where we get to see snapshots of ability and intent and there plays in action . When we have those moments and are in cruise control, DCE throws everything on red, while cleary would kick for the corner. Its pretty much that simple. Cleary is no way a better skilled half, he is just a better thinking half . He plays a game that is smarter, and leads to a higher % of wins, better field position and less defence on your own line, and penrith follow

for these reasons clearys packs will divide the sea for him, manlys pack seem to give what they get. the riff chip away while manly are always hoping for one big play.

DCE just wont change his tyres to suit conditions , its that simple , and at 34 on a squillion it costs us more and more each year

if our halfback played first receiver and took the ball to the line , surely that is the first change you make to the spine, just put the current piece's in correct positions and utilise jake better. how does a halfback who wont take the ball to the line get such immunity

Forwards and halves need to be on the same page and effort aside, dominance aside, results aside at manly they are not even in the same book, and until they are, its almost impossible to blame anyone but the director.

DCE is the director , for clarity
Agree. DCE is the director and not the problem. The forwards and hooker are.

I just don't agree with anything you post. Complete nonsense. You love to blame DCE for every loss. Its laughable.

You don't even give him credit for when he wins a man of match, you still have a go at his performance. Thats why when you post comments i know you just enjoy having a dig at him on every occasion.

At least Im balanced. I will post when he has had a poor game or agree with others when he didn't take the right options. Im annoyed as any other supporter when this happens. But will praise him when he does a good job where you simply cannot bring yourself to do this. You just seem to blame every poor performance solely on him. Its ridiculous.

I know he is the captain but its a team sport and we have not been playing like a team of late, and this is because of a whole host of issues including injuries, off field drama, under strength roster, poor attitude or discipline etc

Cleary is good but would not do any better playing for Manly IMO

I don't think DCE is perfect, i support him yes, Im a Manly supporter. I still get annoyed with parts of his game and frustrated but feel we have a lot of things to improve to compete for top 4.

Last edited:
He has an occasional history of stupid late plays against the Squall. Remember that 2014 game at Brookvale, where from memory he could have passed to someone unmarked to score and win the game?

Instead he went for the hero play and Manly lost.

Last edited:
DCE is a hooker you want in broken play who looks to run first, and looks to kick behind the line when there's not the time to pass it out to the halfback (i.e. the flashy Damien Cook stuff)

He isn't the hooker you want to distribute the ball to the right person at the right time. He is a utility hooker at best, and I suspect they are relying on that broken play aspect when DCE comes on as utility.

There are good arguments on both sides of this with DCE. He does a lot infuriating things (ie. headless chook running, more nothing last tackle kicks than good ones etc) but you can't blame it all on him. There are other team members that just don't seem committed. Having said that, some of those players did seem to play with more grunt when DCE wasn't playing and Foz was running the show. One of the things I would put that down to is that Foz has always put his body on the line and the forwards seems to react to that better than DCE. They're almost shamed into it. Maybe I'm clutching but if Chez became a Foz type of player, he might just inspire the rest of the team. But I wouldn't hold my breath given the stage of his career.

Last edited:
There are good arguments on both sides of this with DCE. He does a lot infuriating things (ie. headless chook running, more nothing last tackle kicks than good ones etc) but you can't blame it all on him. There other team members that just don't seem committed. Having said that, some of those players did seem to play with more grunt when DCE wasn't playing and Foz was running the show. One of the things I would put that down to is that Foz has always put his body on the line and the forwards seems to react to that better than DCE. They're almost shamed into it. Maybe I'm clutching but if Chez became a Foz type of player, he might just inspire the rest of the team. But I wouldn't hold my breath given the stage of his career.
Seems his best games are reserved for those 40-20 try on the end of it kicks and Golden point FGs to win games, of which he is the best in the game.

Seems his best games are reserved for those 40-20 try on the end of it kicks and Golden point FGs to win games, of which he is the best in the game.
Unfortunately, we need a bit more than that. I'm not as hard on him with his defence as some (other than the running out of the line sometimes) coz I see him do a lot of important tackles and on the big fellas as well. I do think he's still very committed to the team and that he'd dearly love to win another Premiership before he retires. It will be interesting to see if fresh coaching eyes can have an impact on his game or if it will be a case of teaching old sea eagles new tricks.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8